PDA

View Full Version : A minute of silence...

van_HellSing PL
21st Feb 2004, 09:16
THIEF
(1998-2004)

Killed by
Deadly Shadows

Hmmm, let's see...starts flipping a looted coin between his paws... Pessimistic Alarmist or Uneducated Troll...Pessimistic Alarmist or Uneducated Troll...sniffsniff... Well, it smells like a Troll...decides, as usual, that giving benefit of the doubt is the best policy...

Tell you what van_HellSing PL...why don't you wait to ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME before passing such...sweeping judgements? Hmmm? Oh wait, that's right...Thief is already dead to you. I guess that means you don't need to come around here anymore with your negativity jibber-jabber? I mean, Ghosts can be scary!! Or do you have something CONSTRUCTIVE to offer?

Acronomic
21st Feb 2004, 12:01
:rolleyes:

thegrommit
21st Feb 2004, 15:45
OH. THE. DRAMA! :rolleyes:

TIM Darg
21st Feb 2004, 16:12
psychotic, premature, clueless

BrokenArts
21st Feb 2004, 16:13
http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Wonder.gifhttp://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Spam3.gifoh Peter Smith will handle that, he usually does.

Beagle Boy
21st Feb 2004, 19:33
How can you judge a game before it is released. Even the demo is not out.

tealsmith
21st Feb 2004, 19:34
Originally posted by Beagle Boy

He's obviously phsycic.

BrokenArts
21st Feb 2004, 19:38
Originally posted by Beagle Boy

I agree, I have said the samething myself over and over again, it's premature to judge on something you haven't seen yet. I wish the demo was out myself.

van_HellSing PL
21st Feb 2004, 19:50
Come on! Insult me some more!

How can you judge a game before it is released. Even the demo is not out. I can. I was optimistic about the new Thief game for quite a long time. But the recent news just made me want to cry.

I mean, NO WATER? WTF?! The people at Ion Storm obviously don't know **** about programming. Can you imagine a dust-dry City with no sewers? Can you imagine not having water=filled caverns in the game? I can't. The only things I'm still looking forward to are the story and the cutscenes.

Dream
21st Feb 2004, 20:19
There is always hope.:o

TIM Darg
21st Feb 2004, 20:43
What??? There's NO WATER????

The Glome
21st Feb 2004, 21:54
Whoa, whoa whoa.. where does it say there isn't any water in the game? Hellsing, you're acting purely from speculation and defining it as fact..

BrokenArts
21st Feb 2004, 21:59
Sorry, it is indeed FACT. Read it here.
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33790

Acronomic
21st Feb 2004, 23:11
To clear things up:

- There is water.

-BUT-

- You can't swim in the water.

Beagle Boy
22nd Feb 2004, 21:37
No water.

For some reason many recent fps games do not let the player swim. Anybody know why ?

The Glome
22nd Feb 2004, 22:20
Well, thanks for the clarification..

Acorn
23rd Feb 2004, 05:15
He said you can wade in it.

Also, if thief died, wouldn't there be a hammer symbol over it? Or something pagan? Or a glyph? When did they go christian...?

SNAKE-LORD
24th Feb 2004, 22:25
"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
What does kill us is not the question,it is the answer.
Death is only the beginning."

the above is from "The Tibetan Book of the Dead".

"Dying ain't much of a living"

The above is from an old (Clint Eastwood) movie.

"Is there anyone here who hasn't come back from the dead? "

the above is from a recent (Angel) episode if i recall correctly.

Grey Mouser
25th Feb 2004, 00:56
Originally posted by Acorn
He said you can wade in it.

Also, if thief died, wouldn't there be a hammer symbol over it? Or something pagan? Or a glyph? When did they go christian...?

Heh heh.

maveloch17
25th Feb 2004, 04:58
Hopefully we'll be able to add water using the SDK/questbuilder that comes with the game.

Hopefully there will be an SDK/questbuilder that comes with the game.

@ the Admin: Could you not edit people's posts like that? Just reply to him, otherwise people might start thinking that you are deleting/changing stuff in our posts for your (Eidos') own benefit. I'm not trying to be a jerk or a troll or anything... I've just seen this happen before on other forums and it tends to get very ugly.

Ugly = bad PR for Eidos.

PS: I *DO* agree with what you've said, though. I think there are a number of things about the game that could potentially suck, but I'm not ready to proclaim it's death just yet. Heh.

Squid
25th Feb 2004, 08:31
maveloch17, Grey Mouser, Grey Mouser, maveloch17. Now that the intros are out of the way... :D

In all seriousness, maveloch17, you don't have any concerns about that when dealing with Grey. He's a very good, nice mod. I wished he modded some other forums of which I'm a member. He's only going to step in when he feels it's warrented, and then he'll make dang sure you know why he did what he did. He also PLAYS the game, and loves them, (unlike some mods I know over at Atari...) so he does understand us and our concerns.

This forum, especially the Community forum, tries to keep everything on a civil level. We're all friends here, (some of us have even travelled the country to meet other members,) which I'm sure you'll see soon enough. Mouser is a big part of why this Thief forum is the one of the best places to hang out on... we're civil, friendly, and we strive for maturity. (Some of us more than others... tBM, for example... ;) )

Seriously, most of us have been on these forums since before T: MA came out, and some from even before the 1st game. Most of us are 30 years old or older, with a few being much older. This doesn't make us senior members, or anything else elitist. We welcome new members with open arms. All we ask is that you realise that you've entered a very special place on the 'net, and to treat it as such. (Which, I might add, you've done.)

BrokenArts
25th Feb 2004, 12:58
I agree with Squid. We welcome openly any new member. But to just start telling a admin what he should/shouldn't do, when your still new, at least to me, is a bit tactless. Yes, this is another forum, but, we have a certain civility that we like to strive for around here. Just plain common sense and deceny in treating others.
I have been here going on 4 years now. I like it here, it's the first forum I ever posted on. For the reasons of it being civil, the kindess we show to one another, all the good things, and how people treat one another, keeps me hanging around.
And whatever the mod's or admin's do around here, that is up to them, they may ask for opinions, give them a opinion when they ask for it. It's not up to us to tell them how to run their job.

maveloch17
26th Feb 2004, 00:05
Broken: relax, dude :) I wasn't telling anyone how to do their job. Hence the "I'm not trying to be a jerk or a troll or anything...". If anything, it was friendly advice for the sake of everyone, not some snide remark. I've been a member of many forums, too, and I've even admin'd a number of them (not necessarily GAME forums). So, I just know from experience what causes trouble on forums and what doesn't. I've seen post-editing result in loss of $$$ and customers for companies (I'm a web developer). If you guys tell me this forum is a great place, I have no reason to doubt it.

Anyway, this is all OT, so nuff said :)

Oh yeah... Hi, I'm Maveloch17, I'm 30, and I'm a Thiefaholic.

BrokenArts
26th Feb 2004, 00:09
Try dudette. That's fine, back on topic, what was it again?

maveloch17
26th Feb 2004, 00:10
Hahahahhah... sorry about that :)

So what was the topic? Oh yeah, just a troll post... bah, just lock it.

Grey Mouser
26th Feb 2004, 01:02
Originally posted by maveloch17

@ the Admin: Could you not edit people's posts like that? Just reply to him, otherwise people might start thinking that you are deleting/changing stuff in our posts for your (Eidos') own benefit. I'm not trying to be a jerk or a troll or anything... I've just seen this happen before on other forums and it tends to get very ugly.

Ugly = bad PR for Eidos.

I understand your position, but I reserve the right to edit whatever they heck I want to on these particular forums. If I had wanted to change things for Eidos' benefit (and if I were a complete fool), I would simply have deleted this entire thread and banned the 'offending member'. And banned thousands of other people, and deleted plenty of other threads in every other Eidos forum...but I digress.

Good thing that is not how I think a Forum should operate, right? Truly I believe that Constructive Crticism is a vital part of what a gaming forum is all about. You'll just need to take my word for it that I personally believe in free speech and egalitarianism, and never edit posts without a reason.

However, having been a mod-slash-admin for several years has taught me how to spot nonsense when I see it (years worth of Tomb Raider pr0n postings, for example), and I tend not to let it go unchallenged.

In addition, I do not tolerate trolls very well. (I prefer them pan-fried with a little butter, actually).

-- Squid, BrokenArts - Thanks for the props. :)

-- maveloch17 - As noted, constructive criticism is encouraged (including of the Admin!). If you stick around here for awhile you might find that you like this place...and I really hope that you do. Please know that if your purpose is to get more fun out of Thief, then you are in the right place and we welcome you with open paws (and arms).

maveloch17
26th Feb 2004, 02:13
@ Grey Mouser: Hey, it's all cool. I wasn't jumping on your back LOL. Just giving a hard-earned piece of advice.

Assuming T3 doesn't turn out to be a horrible flop, I plan to be on these boards a long time. I've been a hardcore fan since T1 first came out, just never been on the forums till now.

Peter_Smith
26th Feb 2004, 03:58
I second Grey Mouser's position. He does not need your advice, maveloch17. I further note that when an Admin or Moderator edits, deletes, or closes posts or threads, the action is not subjet to debate. You can e-mail or PM the person if you have questions. Please read the rules - they should clarify this point. We are here to maintain order and to ensure that the rules are followed. That's all. Not to promote Eidos or a position of Eidos. This particular thread is filled with minor rule violations, and I think it is mean spirited to boot. I am going to close it.