PDA

View Full Version : We don't want wall climbing gloves

Vrbas
20th Feb 2004, 21:42
In my opinion, I think wall climbing gloves are cheap and unnecessary. I dunno, it doesn't feel like a game set in the time between medievel and Renaissaince with the ability to "climb walls". It seems too "high tech" if you will. Rope arrows will do fine. Besides, they are more fun to play with. The rope arrows are one of a master thiefs perfect and essential tools. Garret is a Thief not Spiderman.

theBlackman
20th Feb 2004, 21:46
THUMB! "Garret is a Thief not Spiderman."

van_HellSing PL
20th Feb 2004, 21:58
YOU don't want climbing gloves.

As for me, I always thought rope arrows were too much of a stretch. Just how exactly would they work in real life? It's impossible. The gloves are certainly more realistic - as someone pointed out before, they were used in the far east.

thegrommit
20th Feb 2004, 22:38
If robotic eyes and steam powered robots are acceptable, why aren't climbing gloves?

Huntress
21st Feb 2004, 00:06
Because they are not the essential tools we've come to expect this character to use, THAT'S WHY! Climbing gloves might be fine for other characters to use but since Garrett is mostly a bow and arrow user, rope arrows were a part of his normal equipment, just as his BJ is! I do not and did not want a Spiderman type thief either...it is a major turn off for me including other adjustments that have been made to this game. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for introducing certain new elements into the game but don't take away my basic gameplay as a tradeoff for something I could care less about! Sure the introduction of more dynamic lighting if fine, but not at the cost of not having usable water sequences as an example either and the list goes on...sorry you can keep your climbing gloves...I won't be using them :( Ta and Good Hunting!

Harlekin
21st Feb 2004, 12:46
You don't need to be Spiderman to climb up one of these old castle-walls.
I believe that you won't be able to use these gloves everywhere (compare: rope arrows). Would be to easy to escape from the guards... :D The new lighting system and bump mapping will be helpful to distinguish between rough stones and even metal. Take a look at the walls on the screenshots! ;)

coldplay_josh_106
21st Feb 2004, 13:34
I have to say people are making abit of a fuss about the gloves, personally i think they are kinda cool, but i also think the rope arrow was cool, and it would be a shame if it was not in the game.

I think Ion storm are trying to make the game better than the last two, but come on! You cant make a game better by taking things away! you have to add things to a game to improve it not replace things! there shud be both a rope arrow and climbing gloves avalible!

but if the game dosent have a rope arrow i could live with it.

newayz wheres the evidence that proves there wont be a rope arrow?

van_HellSing PL
21st Feb 2004, 13:46
coldplay_josh - here's a quote on the rope arrows by one of the developers, null
Sadly, rope arrows will not be appearing in the game. The climbing gloves have gotten more versatile than they were at E3 and continue to evolve even now. They are (along with mantling) the primary vertical movement tool in DS.

Thiefinthenight
21st Feb 2004, 14:36
Gloves might be cool but if they are a replacement for the rope arrow I will be pretty mad. Rope arrows were used for more than just climbing over stuff.

tealsmith
21st Feb 2004, 17:00
The loss of the rope arrow worries me. They were one of the best aspects of the previous games. I had so much fun with them in the T2 mission were you had to steal the masks (can't remember the name).

The climbing gloves sound alright though. As long as Garret can't climb up all walls, and only cracked up cobble ones and the like.

Acronomic
21st Feb 2004, 17:05
He can climb up brick walls... which most people in the world can do anyway, so Garrett won't need super-spiderman skills to scale a brick wall. :rolleyes:

I think the gloves are a very cool idea, but I sorely miss the rope arrows like the rest of you.

Woodsie_Lord
21st Feb 2004, 19:36
Speak for yourself.

I want wall climbing gloves.

I want Thief: Deadly Shadows.

But, most importantly, I want all these detractors to play the game with the gloves before being so diehard militant about something this innane.

Xcom
21st Feb 2004, 22:16
Me not happy to see rope arrows go. They were kind of fun. Don't want to dismiss gloves just yet, but I imagined they would be an addition to Garrett's arsenal, rather than total replacement. Alas.

Squid
21st Feb 2004, 23:23
I've mentioned this before, I'll mention it again...

null said wall climbing gloves have become the primary method of vertical movement. So, what's the secondary method? I'm wondering whether we'll have a coil of rope to use, instead of a rope attached to an arrow.

Squid

Xcom
21st Feb 2004, 23:34
Originally posted by Squid
So, what's the secondary method?

Grappling hook?? :D

abbe
21st Feb 2004, 23:36
i liked those time you had to build up a bridge of rope arrows and then throw yourself between them to get to another place...

van_HellSing PL
21st Feb 2004, 23:40
Yup, a grappling hook would be way beter than rope arrows imho.

I said it before, I'll say it again: rope arrows were fun. And TOTALLY unrealistic. They actually took away some of the immersion into the game for me everytime I used them...

abbe
21st Feb 2004, 23:49
you say rope arrows were unrealistic and then you want a grappling hook?
lol

edit: oh, missed the post from Xcom

Acronomic
22nd Feb 2004, 01:52
Originally posted by van_HellSing PL
Yup, a grappling hook would be way beter than rope arrows imho.

I said it before, I'll say it again: rope arrows were fun. And TOTALLY unrealistic. They actually took away some of the immersion into the game for me everytime I used them...

Yeah, it's true that the rope arrows are kind of unrealistic, and that scaling walls is a lot more realistic... I am really beginning to look forward to this game now! :D Especially after seeing the movie. :cool:

Acorn
23rd Feb 2004, 05:55
null said wall climbing gloves have become the primary method of vertical movement.

I hope we keep the rope. :D

I liked using the rope arrows, but I am also interested in the gloves. I'd be willing to use both.
But I am a long time Thief player, including FMs and when I walk Garrett through his different environments I'm accustomed to always looking UP for wooden areas where I might use a ROPE to climb up and go through a window or get to a ledge to go upper level on the roof tops (which I also enjoy) or in a wooded area through the trees monkey style or something.
Not having rope arrows or some sort of a rope device would totaly cut down the game play variability.