PDA

View Full Version : Thief Movie

Dyslexic626
20th Feb 2004, 02:41
Hi everyone, first post, although ive been a long time reader. Being an optimistic person I see alot of neat things that could possibly take place if the new Thief 3 does end up appealing to the masses. Turning video games, (mostly storyline sequals) into movies is common today, and i myself would love to see a movie based on garret. Like tomb raider's Lara Croft I could see garret fufulling a movie role. Im sure alot of you would "not" like to see this happen with the worry of destroying the character or sequal as it is, but i see alot of neat and interesting things coming from it. That is as long as the orginal creators remain the keepers of garrets saga thus keeping others from taking over and ruining it.

HOC
20th Feb 2004, 03:04
i think splinter cell would make a better movie...simply because splinter cell is a linear game.

i mean, seriously...how many of us are gonna watch a thief movie, witness a guard get sniped, and NOT say "wtf?! i would've blackjacked that pud!"

Mr. Perfect
20th Feb 2004, 03:40
There was a rummor that there was going to be a Thief movie about a year ago. Haven't heard anything about it since.

CleptoManiac
20th Feb 2004, 04:10
I hope the thief name doesn't lay itself to Hollywood's astronomical suckage..

coldplay_josh_106
20th Feb 2004, 13:00
Who would play the role of garrett?

Chiefdreams
20th Feb 2004, 13:28
The ranger in LOTR was Garrett.

Dyslexic626
21st Feb 2004, 04:38
BEN AFLECK! jk... I think id like to see a not so well known actor take on the role, who has the look ofcourse.

van_HellSing PL
21st Feb 2004, 08:24
Skip it. They're considering Tobey Maguire. ("Hey! He has experience with wall-climbing!")

Come on, whiney spider boy as Garret? :rolleyes:

Acronomic
21st Feb 2004, 12:03
Ooh! Ooh! Hire me, I can climb walls!!! :confused:

Squid
21st Feb 2004, 22:51
Chief, just for future reference, the "ranger" in LOTR was Viggo Mortensen (sp?) You were referring to Aragorn, right?

Quite awhile back, just before release of the 1st Tomb Raider movie, I enquired through back channels as to whether Eidos was interested in seeing a script for Thief. The reply was 'not at this time.' Now, whether they've changed their mind or not is debatable; however, I wouldn't count on seeing a Thief movie anytime soon. It would be a VERY tricky story to pull off correctly. There's just so many ways it could be screwed up.

Squid

stdjxf15
1st Mar 2004, 06:10
my guess is hugh jackman, jason statham or maybe the man wo played as Jango fett on star wars. Hech I think it would make a great short animated series, give the guys who made the cutscenes a little extra to do. I think that would be awsome! I liked how they seemed to be made in a low budget way, but thats what made them so cool. those are my ideas. lataz

Jareware
1st Mar 2004, 09:10
I see great potential there... but the film would have to be really dark, not just visually. And as pointed out, there would be SO many things that could go horrificly wrong...

-JR-

imported_deadly_thief
10th Mar 2004, 17:00
(UK)PCZONE readers if you have issue 140 you will notice the 4 page preview article. if you turn to the secound page bottom left (under the screen shot) it says "Garrett sulked for days when he heard thief: The Movie was to star Tobey Maguire" unfortunately its says nothing more about that. but in (USA)PCGAMER they say hollywood is working on a lot of games as films including such games as DOOM3, Quake4, Half Life2 and as always many many more.

thiefessa
10th Mar 2004, 21:40
Oh dear, please no..... I hope the idea of a movie is just a rumour, I can't see any film director being able to capture the dark story of Garrett's life in any convincing way. Maybe I lack imagination here, but to me a Hollywood film would just about kill off the complete Thief series!

Someone mentioned that it was normal for successful games to become films...trouble is I don't think that sort of formula really works. Tomb Raider for example was no "awe-inspiring" movie, even though the lovely Angelina Jolie put her heart and soul into the role of Lara Croft...it didn't really work. "Real life versus the virtual world" - very separate entities that cannot possibly be brought together in any realistic way, me thinks.

SNAKE-LORD
10th Mar 2004, 21:55
just my opinion but a movie would be great.
if it were done right.
as to who would play garret.
my choice is brett hart.
yes the ex-pro-wrestler.
he has a deep enough voice.
he is very physicaly able to do all the stunts.
and we won't really see his face till the third installment.
the movie would have to have all the games basically to work.
plus new stuff thrown in just for us taffers. :D

Fossa
11th Mar 2004, 02:32
This is a nasty rumor that has floated around since the release of Thief 2 back on the LG and TTLG boards. There is, in fact, zero truth behind it, and with good reason.

First and formost what makes Thief, well, Thief, is its unique style and atmosphere. I think thats something we can all agree on. Now, what creates that style and atmosphere is both the world itself and the way we, the audience (players in this case) experience it.

When you're pressed flat against a pillar eavesdropping on two guards talking about the bear pitts and the changes in these parts, thats active immersion; that makes for great gameplay. If you tried doing anything like that in a movie, half the audience would walk out a third of the way through it and the other third would be sound asleep.

The plot would be even more problematic. Would they simply turn the first 2(3?) games directly to movie? That wouldn't work well at all. When you are slowly learning how things fit together through your own actions and experiences and its one thing. Try to get an audience to learn the same few facts in the same slow progression only to have them come to a climax far faster than they came to existance and, well, the audience isn't very happy. Whens the last time a real murder mystery (as opposed to an action-drama shoot-em-up) was at the top of the box office? Anyone?

The alternative would be to write an all new plot that potentially works for a movie. You're giving the pen to a whole new breed of people. The real fans of the series held our breath when the torch got passed to another game development company. Give it to a hollywood writer and I shudder to think what would result. Aside from the initial risk, if they did come up with something new that picks up where the third game leaves off, well, then you limit your ability to have a fourth game (if its in the cards, well have to see what the plot of the third one does exactly) something the current liscense holders wouldn't like very much.

Now, the real problem is Garrett himself. We experience Garrett as an antihero. Those, quite frankly, don't work well in hollywood. How many of you are familiar with the movie "Falling Down"? No one? Thought so. You can't have Garrett doing heroic, valiant things, the things that keep an audience entertained, because frankly Garrett is a hero only to himself.

The only way to make the movie work with an audience would be to destroy Garrett, his world, and everything we know and love about him. It just isn't doable.

Peter_Smith
11th Mar 2004, 03:22
Well said, Fossa.:)

However, I am not quite so pessimistic about the prospects. Sure, a conversation about bear pits would be a little lame, but I can imagine opportunities for suspense. You know the typical surprise scene in a move. Hero sneaks through a dark passage, snakes all around, wondering if one will strike. It gets really tense. Cut to a loud noise and a picture of fangs, and the audience jumps out of their seats. Change snakes to spiders or zombies, and you have it. In the hands of a talented director, the darkness could be captured. I think the bit about the sword and Constantine followed by Garret's revenge would make quite a nice story, with Viktoria and some pagans, and a few keepers thrown in for good measure. The whole idea of things gone wrong and the undead / monster invasion, with Garrett not wanting to face them directly but the keepers manipulating him for a solution, seems like some good opportunities for conflict.

I would hire Tim Burton as director but not Johnny Depp as Garrett.

Fossa
11th Mar 2004, 03:57
Perhaps, but I strongly feel that what story there is isn't sufficient enough to make an interesting, full length feature, and worse still theres no way of really getting it across without making Garrett look like a hero, which, and I can't stress this enough, he isn't at heart. But I am a bit pessimistic after having discussed this all at great length a number of years ago. ;)

aelburr
11th Mar 2004, 09:07
Gods... will this idea never die!?!?!?

If they made a Thief movie it would bite. 'Nuff said.

van_HellSing PL
11th Mar 2004, 09:29
Nah, it could be nice. But only if Rust Monkey did it :D

Jareware
13th Mar 2004, 20:49
Originally posted by Fossa
How many of you are familiar with the movie "Falling Down"? No one? Thought so.It is brilliant.

But I see the point you are making.

-JR-

Fossa
14th Mar 2004, 05:28
"I'm the badguy?"

People just don't like the anti-hero. Or, more correctly, they don't like to spend 90 minutes listening to the story of the anti-hero.
If they ever did do a Thief movie they would have no real choice but to radically change the main character which any real thief fan would be terribly against.

Picture it, Garrett is a scrappy 22 year old with stunning good looks hidden underneath a veil of grime who steals from the rich and gives to orphans, orphans with diseases. I'll pass.

HOC
14th Mar 2004, 07:16
"I'm the badguy?"

People just don't like the anti-hero. Or, more correctly, they don't like to spend 90 minutes listening to the story of the anti-hero.
If they ever did do a Thief movie they would have no real choice but to radically change the main character which any real thief fan would be terribly against.

no, hollywood doesn't like anti-heros. but still, movies like that (you named falling down before) get made, and still create fanbases. some even reach cult status and inspire other forms of art, believe it or not.

i don't believe the story would need an entire redo. i just don't believe it would make a good flick. unless it was animated...probably.

Morpheus445
14th Mar 2004, 14:49
Do you understand how many rumors go around every week that someone's favorite game will be made into a movie? Realistically I have yet to see one rumor come true. I doubt that there will be a thief movie because everyone wishes that their favorite game will reach the big screen. Anyone can make up a rumor. There wasn't a Diablo movie, there wasn't a myst movie, there wasn't a half-life movie, nor will there be a thief movie...don't be so gullible until you hear it officially announced.

Jareware
14th Mar 2004, 18:53
Originally posted by HOC
some even reach cult status and inspire other forms of art, believe it or not.np: Iron Maiden - Man on the Edge ;)

For those who are not familiar with the track, it is based on the movie Falling Down. And rather good as well.

-JR-

TheOriginalNobody
14th Mar 2004, 19:47
Actually, in some case anti-heroes can be very popular. A good example is the namesake of the childrens book Artemis Fowl. The main character (artemis)is quite 'evil'. They're making a movie of that.

imported_deadly_thief
14th Mar 2004, 20:12
"People just don't like the anti-hero"

anyone herd or seen "The Proffesional", the main charater is a hit man great film but almost unseen unfortunatly.

if thief : deadly shadows has a good strong story line which it might with warren spencer on the case. The movie would be good if they've got the right charaters and producers.

imported_deadly_thief
14th Mar 2004, 20:13
they are gonna make a movie for the book that might be good

Jareware
14th Mar 2004, 20:16
Originally posted by deadly_thief
anyone herd or seen "The Proffesional", the main charater is a hit man great film but almost unseen unfortunatly.Heh, I seem to be quite categorized as a viewer at this point: I love The Professional. I think it bears the name Leon in Europe.

Anything that has both Jean Reno and Luc Besson in it can't be anything but a masterpiece.

-JR-

imported_deadly_thief
14th Mar 2004, 20:29
so you love the film do you know of the anime series "cowboy bebob"

if not you can still watch the clip on http://www.morethantoast.com the clip antiltled "One Big Cliche" you will see it on the right its so funny

Jareware
14th Mar 2004, 20:39
deadly_thief, thanks, I'll check it out. A friend of mine (who shares my taste for movies) actually recommended this series to me not too long ago as well, if my memory serves me right...

-JR-

imported_deadly_thief
14th Mar 2004, 20:54
no problem
for anyone interested in stick figures and ofcourse thiefs theres a great flash clip at

http://www.flashring.com/27sac.shtml

just copy and stick into your address bar at the top the title of this peice is "stick thief" which includes thief sound track and some slik moves

GBM
14th Mar 2004, 22:13
This is a nasty rumor that has floated around since the release of Thief 2 back on the LG and TTLG boards. There is, in fact, zero truth behind it, and with good reason.

Actually, it's a rumour started when TTLG reported that -- according to the holiday 2003 issue of PCGamer which featured some blurb on things -- a Thief movie is being considered, with Tobey McGuire as Garrett and Mark Gordon (producer of Saving Private Ryan) being involved.

So blame whoever PCG was talking to if it turns out to be a load of cobblers.

Eridyn
14th Mar 2004, 22:37
"Picture it, Garrett is a scrappy 22 year old with stunning good looks hidden underneath a veil of grime who steals from the rich and gives to orphans, orphans with diseases."

Just the thought of that... LOL... Oh God that would suck...
I dread the possibility of a Thief Movie. Hollywood would kill it... Sure, there are a few people that could do a decent job, but I doubt they would pick up such a project...

Also... http://www.thief-thecircle.com/fanworks/movies/falen2.zip

edit:
This post has given me an idea... Perhaps, should I become bored, I will create a nice little script and movie... I would need a better camera than I have now though...

imported_deadly_thief
17th Mar 2004, 20:18
GBM i said that on the last page

UberMorse
24th Mar 2004, 11:37
Thief as a movie holds untold potential to... fail. But when it comes to movies there seems to be a terrible differance on either side of the pond. Perhaps "Falling down" was not a big hit in US, but over here its more than just heard of, It got some well deserved attention at Cannes (which gives good cred to movies prior to launch) and was a decent boxoffice-hit.

And yes, "The Professional" IS "Leon", a huge movie here, I was under the impression it was a success over there as well.

Unlike Deus Ex, I have not heard anything about the rights to Thief being sold to a production-company, so If there ever is going to be a movie, its way off in the future.

But its fun to speculate, who would direct and even harder, who would play Garret in Your movie? Well Tim Burton could capture the feeling in the game (with the right script), but it would be intresting to see what Lars von Trier could do with it (The Kingdom, Breaking the Waves, Dancer in the Dark and Dogville).

As for Garret, I always wanted Gary Oldman, but hes too old. What would be preferable is an actor that can act without spoken lines, which is quite a skill, one wery good at this is Billy Bob Thornton, not my first choice but then again he has transformed himself considerably on the big screen before (U-turn anyone?).

thiefthedark
24th Mar 2004, 13:48
Playing a thief needs a strong character, besides our hero is an artistic thief that steals from rich and gives only himself. He is sneaksy and silent. He cannot be seen under a shadow. And he saves the world many times without wanting to do that stuff.

A Thief movie can be perfect but with the workers of the LOTR ans some million dollars :) . I actually want to see one :) ..

van_HellSing PL
24th Mar 2004, 14:49
Christian Bale, maybe? As for the director, I'd vote for the ex-Monty Python, Terry Gilliam.

UberMorse
24th Mar 2004, 14:59
Oh. Bale and Gilliam... good picks. How could I miss Gilliam :mad:

Besides, Gilliam is great even with a low budget, just see what he did with 12 Monkeys...

wyatt2112
24th Mar 2004, 18:38
Hello Thief Community,

First post here and looking forward to many nights of debauchery with Thief 3.

In response to an earlier post, The movie Falling Down is an awsome movie.

Instead of a Thief movie I think a Thief series on the Sci Fi channel would be much more appropriate. Some advantages to this would be the continuation of the story line as we see it in the Thief games today. Each Thief game episode could be an hour episode on a TV series.

The overall mood would have to stay close to the games, that being dark and gloomy. I would set the series up from show to show similar to the way Babylon 5 or the X files did, a continuing plot line from week to week but inserting new episodes that do not necessarily have to follow the same plot.

Some great shows that followed and are following this concept are:

Stargate: SG1
X files
Babylon 5
Farscape
Anyone remember a show called NOWHERE MAN?

Just my $.02

Til next time,

wyatt2112

AresJMD
24th Mar 2004, 19:13
Hey don't forget Xena and Hercules! hehehehe They always had a different adventure every week.

I'm actually looking into creating a Thief movie here on campus. I've scoped the buildings and potential filming areas, and I'm amazed at how much the architecture here resembles that of the buildings in Thief 1 and Thief 2. Its brilliant I say! And I know what some of you will say..."Creating a movie?" won't that inflict upon copyright agreements and all that hoopla...I'm just making the movie for the fun of it...we have some very advanced equipment and amazing digital editing systems including shake (LOTR used this) software. We don't care about making the money...Money isn't important here. It's the STORY! and a great MOVIE! We don't want to make a penny off this movie...we just want to create something that all will enjoy for free.

Au revoir et a bientot
John

Jareware
24th Mar 2004, 19:18
As I am somewhat into moviemaking myself, that sounds like an interesting challenge, AresJMD. And ambitious. :)

I know my way around Adobe Premiere and After Effects pretty well, but how is Shake used? I remember reading something about it among all the LOTR fuss that's engulfed everyone the last 3 years. What's it do?

-JR-

Amon
5th Apr 2004, 08:03
If a Thief movie were ever done, Tim Burton would be the man to direct it. He has that dark and forboding feel and vision, and I am certain that he would capture the feel of the world that Garret lives in. However, finding a competent lead actor for the role of Garret and a competent screenwritter are the only two things standing in the way.

But if you want to see a movie based on Thief succeed, give it to Tim Burton. No one else, IMO, could manage to capture the essence of The City other than Burton. I also think he would do an excellent job at creating the world of the Trickster, and The Maw.

hellbilly
6th Apr 2004, 02:52
I could see Hugh Jackman playing Garrett.

stdjxf15
7th Apr 2004, 22:57
I think ridley scott would make a good director. I think he did good with the fantasy realm in the cult movie Legend, both the good and dark realms of the movie. Be cool if H.R. Giger put some artistic insite into the MAW of Chaos, although that may be too demented.

stdjxf15
7th Apr 2004, 22:57
I think ridley scott would make a good director. I think he did good with the fantasy realm in the cult movie Legend, both the good and dark realms of the movie. Be cool if H.R. Giger put some artistic insite into the MAW of Chaos, although that may be too demented.

NivramJ
19th Dec 2006, 02:19
You few ladies and many gentlemen...

I'm 20 years old, and have been playing Thief since I was 12. Needless to say, I'm a junkie, as I make a point to play through I and II twice a year (T3, sad to say, lost the feeling, so I've beaten that only twice).

Point of this post being, I am a Senior at Bethel University in Minneapolis, and have been filming clips of things that my friends and I have done in the past, which rightfully should have killed me. Yet, I've still this notion of a Thief movie... and as I've turned it over in my mind for the past 5 years, I've finally succumbed to the notion.

I am in the dredges of writing a script. The amount of unofficiated work that I've put into this is staggering in hindsight. But, you see, my friends and fellow gamers... I have a vision.

It doesn't invole Gary Oldman, or Toby Spiderboy; in fact, I would not let any named actors partake, for the sake of keeping the characters as fresh and the world as unique as possible. Gibson's done this in his last two masterpieces, and to great profit.

And who's to say we don't like the anti-heros? Oceans 11, 12?

The script is well underway, and when finished, will still be a work-in-progress, as most of the movie is in my notes, and not in the script (as much of the movie will be done in action, not talking... minimize the speaking).

However, I can play out only roughly 3/4s of the movie in my minds eye, so if any of you have suggestions, I'm open. The address I've created for this project is "kare_star86@hotmail.com"

I probably wont post for a long while, as I'm quite busy, juggling 18 credits with a part-time job, and still filming my misadventures. So until then...

Keep your hand in shadow, and your foot on air. Godspeed.

revised
3rd Jan 2007, 01:00
Making a movie out of this game.. well i think you would need A+ actors, producers, writers, alot of money etc to actually make the theathers for a month...

in other words: not going to happen

NivramJ
3rd Jan 2007, 10:56
It can happen. Maybe not in the next few years, but it can. Don't be such a pessimist... damn democrat. ^_^

~random~
22nd Jan 2007, 14:34
As long as garrett doesn't get a love interest. Maybe one for Artemus though, he needs a woman I think.

willim33
24th Feb 2007, 18:08
What if this Thief Movie were animated? :rolleyes: