PDA

View Full Version : Some newly confirmed Thief 3 details

twisty
20th Feb 2004, 01:34
I know some of you guys and gals probably don't go over to the IS forums that much, so I thought I'd fill you in on some details that have been confirmed by <b>null</b>, one of the devs working on Thief <strike>3</strike> (or should I say Thief - Deadly Shadows :rolleyes:).

- No water (at least no swimmable water anyway - but still splashy!)
- No rope arrows. These have been replaced by some medieval spiderman gloves.

You can read the rest of the thread over <a href="http://66.193.119.177/index.php?showtopic=208645">here</a>

I love the new T: DS website b.t.w. I just hope that the game is as good.

Rommel_1891
20th Feb 2004, 01:49
NO rope arrows?!?!!? :eek:

NO swimming fun?!?!??!?! :eek:

well that just taffs the taffer off the taff!! :mad:

I hope that the editor that I hope they include allows for water brushes!! :)

Komag
20th Feb 2004, 02:04
Yeah, the absense of Rope Arrows SUCKS, but the absense of real water is the WORST NEWS YET!!!

Still, I think the game is going to be pretty cool overall, and I'm genuinely looking forward to it.

Huntress
20th Feb 2004, 04:38
Yea, I followed that link when I was visiting TTLG for some info on an FM I'm playing, etc. and saw that post about it.

Well it (limited answers still from Null) included those items as well as some other indications that I'm not enthused about (are in my opinion) changing the gameplay too much from what I was hoping for. Swimming ops/sewer travels etc. plus the taking away of one of the most unique ways of getting around (rope climbing adventures) and the limitations of roof traveling seems to me to also be affected via the climbing gloves/wall climbing and no need to go by the thieves hiway? Maybe wrong but that seems to me a possiblity now too although since he can mantle maybe he'll get that way there now instead? Still not my cup of tea and not the way I want to play it. Keep the HUD simple an unobtrusive...sounds like it's definately being skimmed down for the console again but maybe not as screwy as what they did to DE:IW? Did mention somekind of toggle(s) but nothing definative.

This thread will most likely end up in the Thief III forum but since it was here, I replied. :) Ta and Good Hunting!

ChowYunFat
20th Feb 2004, 21:12
I'll miss the rope arrows. They were my favorite kind of arrow & I really enjoyed looking for places to use them.

I don't think I'll miss swimming though, if it really is gone. You were kind of limited by what you could do in the water anyway--just swim & grab loot. It served mostly as a different way to get from one point to another. The only thing I would miss is drowning AI's!

littlek
20th Feb 2004, 21:22
NO ROPE ARROWS!!!! OMG!!!! :( Well I still have all those FM's yet to play where I can get my rope arrow fix. WATER? I enjoyed it. I too will miss drowning AI's. I would go out of my way to do that. But there may be some really cool things in store for us and so I am going to remain...Optimistic.

van_HellSing PL
20th Feb 2004, 21:26
Let's just face it: THE DEVS DON'T KNOW HOW TO IMPLEMENT WATER. ION Storm doesn't have too good programmers :(.

I can bare with the lack of rope arrows and the sword. I can bare with the extremely low detail textures. But no water?! :mad:

edit: Oh yeah, in case you were wondering, I'm not some n00b, just didn't stick around this forum. I regularly post in the polish thief forum (www.thief-forum.ehost.pl)

Belboz
6th Mar 2004, 06:05
No rope arrows, no haunts, no zombies, no spiders, no water, no editor, third person like sam fisher in splinter cell, not thief is it, anymore!

And why do all the pictures make it look like it was built in flat land, no hills then either.

if there was an editor this is unreal (warfare) then mods could be added to re-implement that which was lost. like the grapple in quake.

I wonder if you could use the halflife 2 editor to make a better thief. At least that has water.

Apparently Garrett can shoot webby type string from his wrists, that stick to things.

Peter_Smith
6th Mar 2004, 06:49
I believe there are haunts (confirmed) and spiders (not confirmed). Third person is an option you can ignore. You can switch rapidly between 1st and 3rd any time. The editor may come eventually, just not with the first release. We need to apply all the pressure we can for the editor, including participating in GlasWolf's nicely worded petition (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33965) and perhaps writing letters to Eidos. With an editor, the great FM designes will rectify all.

You are right, Huntress. This should be in the Thief III forum. Twisty must have gotten twisted around. ;)

twisty
6th Mar 2004, 10:54
Wouldn't be the first time ;) .

coldplay_josh_106
6th Mar 2004, 14:13
:o No rope arrows!? WOW thats the revelation of the year!

bonobp
13th Mar 2004, 14:41
couldnĀ“t care less about water.
but about rope arrows :(

TIM Darg
14th Mar 2004, 00:47
- No Haunts -

For me no haunts would be even worse than no water. It would be the UTMOST underusage of a good idea. The haunt was a powerful image, an achievement in fear-inducing foes, and it won awards. What kind of suicidal, crack-smoking, astronomically clueless development team would omit this creature in their latest release?

Since thief 2 came out with about none, I can't say Im sure to see them next. At this point I'd sincerely hope for a new team to pick up the design.

van_HellSing PL
14th Mar 2004, 01:36
Haunts are in:). Check the Q&A.

TIM Darg
14th Mar 2004, 02:17
Horray!
:D