PDA

View Full Version : Bringing back the Priestess. How about her as a playable character in the next game?

Dogfight
18th Feb 2004, 22:50
A while back someone had a thread about having a human being as another playable character in the next game besides Kain. This idea seemed ridiculous at the time, but that thread along with the one about female Vampire Guardians helped me come up with this epiphany.

First, let us say that Crystal Dynamics keeps the same scenario they have of their being two playable characters with alternating chapters, only with a new character to take the place of Raziel, not that anyone could.

The Priestness was an excellent character created by Crystal Dynamics that was supposed to be in Soul Reaver 1, but she along with Turel where cut. She was the highest most esteemed Vampire Worshipper that served Kain, who: "...in her long service to her vampire masters... had learned a measure of sorcery." Besides this she had a wicked sacrificial knife. Why not bring her back as a counterpart playable character to Kain.

The link below will take you to her description on blincoln's site.

http://www.thelostworlds.net/SR1-Priestess.HTML

What are your opinions on this issue?

van_HellSing PL
18th Feb 2004, 23:00
I don't see why she should be brought back, especially as a playable character. As a boss - maybe.

warpsavant
18th Feb 2004, 23:47
I would prefer they stick to games that only have one playable.

hippl5
19th Feb 2004, 02:46
well, she was supposed to be a boss but she was cut.... Crystal D said they didn't want anymore remakes,

Raziel had to kill her but raziel is not in the blade

so i don't see why they would want to put her in the next game.
and besides, who would want to play as a human? not me.

i don't see why kain would want to kill her since she has the charm ability but he has already has that.

P.S. but i forgot all about the preistes, thanks for reminding me, hmmm now about that comic.....

Dogfight
19th Feb 2004, 04:56
Does everybody seem to have the impression that the next game is going to be a one playable character game just because Raziel has become the Soul Reaver and there is no one that could really take his place?

Crystal Dynamics has always tried revolutionary things, making the next game a one playable character game, would be going back on what they've already accomplished. Their way seems more keen towards building on the previous foundation and experimenting with new designs.

Having a female character as the other character, would be something different, and having her be a human would also bring about diversity for the series, we could get to see another type of view. After all, just look at all new things introduced in Defiance, we can only expect something radically new for the next game. Besides this, just because she is human, doesn't mean her character wouldn't have incredible abilities and powers.

As for the Priestess being in the next game, all the older Kain would have to do is travel to the time of Soul Reaver 1. After all he isn't just going to stay around in the time of Blood Omen 1 with nothing to do. Besides, bringing her back from being cut, wouldn't be something particularly new, as Turel was brought back too.

Why would they put her in the next game? To introduce a new character for new and old fans to play as. As well as bring back a good solid character for the storyline. What is more, with Raziel gone, she could be the one being in all of Nosgoth that Kain could trust. He can't afford taking any chances now.

Umah Bloodomen
19th Feb 2004, 05:03
I would've liked to see how her character played out however, it's been so long now, I really wouldn't find her appearance all that interesting anymore. I actually enjoy her more as being omitted material to be honest with you.

Something like Turel. I mean don't get me wrong, his appearance was cool, but it wasn't totally new and/or exciting. Sure, it offered some closure, but I certainly don't feel a need to analyze his character and was content to move on to bigger and better things once I defeated him.

The story of the Priestess is long dead and buried. It really needs to stay that way. I am not opposed to the introduction of a female character, however at this point in time, Kain's story needs to be brought to a close. Any new characters really should be reserved for an entirely new series.

The Angel of Death
19th Feb 2004, 05:34
i herd Turel & Priestness were cut out of sr1 for 2 reasons
1) the game was long enugh
2) the disk would have been 2 small 2 put it in with all the other stuff they deleated theirs a whole bunch of downloads from The Lost Worlds (http://www.thelostworlds.net/)

any way are the 2 reasons true cause i would realy like 2 no

Omni_Sephiroth
19th Feb 2004, 05:44
Originally posted by The Angel of Death
i herd Turel & Priestness were cut out of sr1 for 2 reasons
1) the game was long enugh
2) the disk would have been 2 small 2 put it in with all the other stuff they deleated theirs a whole bunch of downloads from The Lost Worlds (http://www.thelostworlds.net/)

any way are the 2 reasons true cause i would realy like 2 no
I would say the 2nd of those to reasons if it was one of those because the game disk has room my disk is only 603mb and they had 700mb disks back then:p

LOKFan
19th Feb 2004, 06:44
:confused:

I thought it was because Crystal Dynamics didn't have enough time before the deadline to incorprate these aspects and hence had to condense the story and game.

Kainster
19th Feb 2004, 08:00
The priestess as a playable character would be ridiculous. I can see how maybe Kain would make her a Pillar Guardian (assuming he restores the pillars to vampire rule in the next game). As for two playable characters, i doubt and hope that will not happen. Its unnecessary. Defiance brought the Blood Omen series and Soul Reaver series to an end, hence playing as both Kain and Raziel. The next game will focus on the future rather than the past. And Kain IS the future.

As for Turels appearance, everyone seems to miss the significance of his role in Defiance. Its not merely to bring closure to the death of Raz's brethren, to explain his absence in SR1. Turels roles is more important. It is because of Turel that Raziel is possessed by the Hylden and they manipulate his rage to fight Kain in Avernus. How do they take possession? Watch the scene where Raziel absorbs Turels soul. He also absorbs the souls of the Hylden who were in control of Turel. Raziels eyes glow green throughout the whole fight between Kain and himself. Thus the Hylden take control of Raz and he only helps bring about the destruction of the Pillars and the assumed death of the Scion of Balance. That was Turels true purpose in the story, far more important than merely tieing up loose ends. He is the vessel which sustains the souls of the Hylden until it is time to play their role in Nosgoths destruction through possesion of Raziel.

HolyMoses
19th Feb 2004, 14:33
Originally posted by Kainster
Defiance brought the Blood Omen series and Soul Reaver series to an end,

Maybe the Soul Reaver series, but the Blood Omen Series is Kain. As you said so yourself, "Kain is the future."

Vampmaster
19th Feb 2004, 15:44
Turel wasn't completely cut. I doubt anyone would have cared too much if he wasn't already in the intro and the sarafan tomb. He was still an important part of the plot as Kains second in command. (I think it was a bit of a waste to just make him Hash.) The priestess however, is never mentioned as a part of the actual story that was used.

bish
19th Feb 2004, 15:57
hi

raziel has had his time and his story, the two of them together on one game was a great idea combining the soul reaver series and blood omen series.

but now raz is gone, there is absolutely no need for players to control multiple characters in the game. introducing the priestess now would be ridiculus, the story is already established and almost finished, i think. it was ok to introduce raziel in SR1 as the end of BO1 was quite the cliffhanger - there was still loads of story to tell.

if she was introduced during SR1, fair enough, but she wasn't even mentioned.

putting her in now would, i imagine, drag the story out. i think long time fans, like my self, would like to see a conclusion to the whole thing - even if it does mean the series is over.

i personally think vampire worshippers of any sort aren't very important. they're not vampires for a start.

bish

legacyofraziel
19th Feb 2004, 21:09
wy we need her back?
the answer is thet we dont

warpsavant
20th Feb 2004, 04:16
I think it should just be one playable character, I have no desire to play as a character who (essentially) just has a different skin. I don't see how Defiance was revolutionary/cutting edge in anyway whatsoever. Maybe for a LOK title, but, not to gaming.

If it was Kain and another Kain, then Id consider it. But, with the amount of time they are given, I think they can create a better game if they just focus on one character. The Lady P can be a side NPC in the game, like those vamps in Sanctuary in BO2. I have no probs with that.

Quicksilver
20th Feb 2004, 11:55
I'd agree with the two Kains idea; it would be the most interesting way to have two playable characters once again (if CD go down that route), especially if the Kain at the end of Defiance needs to influence his younger (maybe BO2) self. That way you could still have two complex characters that are in conflict with each other.

Vampmaster
20th Feb 2004, 12:55
Old Kain and young Kain or old Kain and Blue Scion Kain. :D

warpsavant
20th Feb 2004, 18:38
Kain and Kain.

Umah Bloodomen
20th Feb 2004, 19:22
Originally posted by Vampmaster
Old Kain and young Kain or old Kain and Blue Scion Kain. :D

"Uber-Kain" has a better ring to it. :p

Quicksilver
20th Feb 2004, 19:33
:D Just to make new fans even more confused...

warpsavant
20th Feb 2004, 19:37
Id swear they find amusement in confusing us.

Darkmaster
20th Feb 2004, 19:52
I don't think the Priestess should be put in because the game is Legacy of Kain.It's Kain's story,it always was even in Soul Reaver 1&2.Besides the story is apparently almost done,why throw in a new character now.The two Kains idea is a good one but I don't think there is enough story for that to happen.I mean like what,old Kain will tell young Kain to sacrifice himself.I think Kain should be in the next one alone.It's his story,he started it, he will finish it.

Zephon
20th Feb 2004, 20:23
how bout BO1 kain SR kain & BO2 kain maybe even playing as LT raziel instead of wraith raz. yay! think of the possiblities.

*dive bombs from 5000feet into a human, slicing with claws*

HolyMoses
20th Feb 2004, 20:23
Originally posted by Darkmaster
Besides the story is apparently almost done,

Ack! I move to have that statement stricken from the record. I think we can get another three games out of the series.

van_HellSing PL
20th Feb 2004, 20:32
HolyMoses - so, would you really want to see, say, Legacy of Kain X 2? :rolleyes:

I say let's end it with the next game, in style.

HolyMoses
20th Feb 2004, 20:39
Originally posted by van_HellSing PL
HolyMoses - so, would you really want to see, say, Legacy of Kain X 2? :rolleyes:

I say let's end it with the next game, in style.

Okay, let me elaborate. One more to finish the story, two more to add a finer point on the series. Go back and fill in some gaps that are created. Example: "Legacy of Kain: Dawn of the Empire". Where we play as Kain and really conquor the land of Nosgoth.
Then we can create one more to etch into Kain's destiny further. "Legacy of Kain: Sion of Balance" which might elaborate on what exactly Kain is suppose to do. His prophesized goal.
Heck, we can even go back further to the wars between the Ancient Vampires and the Hylden Race. Get a better understanding of some of the heros that were shown in Vorador's manson.

Then one more where Kain completes his destiny and new guardians are born.

legacyofraziel
20th Feb 2004, 20:41
in style is with the pristess or with out?

van_HellSing PL
20th Feb 2004, 20:47
In style means that the series doesn't get devaluated. Think of Tomb Raider or Final fantasy (I love FF, but FF9 was probably the last for me), both series got mercillesly slaughtered by having too many games in them.

WraithStar
20th Feb 2004, 21:30
I think that if the story can truly support more than one more game, CD should definitely go for it. I don't want them to make more for the sake of more, though. As far as having the Priestess in the next game goes, I have no idea if I want to see that or not. I think I want to play as Kain alone, but it really depends on how everything would be handled. I don't see how they would encorporate her into the next game, but then again I didn't expect to see Turel either, and that worked out nicely. I trust CD to finish the series successfully when they feel it's over (which may or may not be after this next game).

DJpick
21st Feb 2004, 18:35
Crystal Dynamics has always tried revolutionary things, making the next game a one playable character game, would be going back on what they've already accomplished. Their way seems more keen towards building on the previous foundation and experimenting with new designs.
And going to a 2 character design, would be going back as well, since they did it in Defiance.

bish
22nd Feb 2004, 16:36
i've got it.

forget going back on themselves with one character, and not repeating themselves with 2 characters, how about THREE characters? a third of the time for each means that they can draw the game out over three more games.

;) :) :D

bish

DJpick
23rd Feb 2004, 05:01
Or better yet, 5.67 characters? No?

How about we just stick with what we have been given, and quit trying to add more to it :) I'd rather see a simple story, as opposed to a WB drama that adds new characters everytime a previous actor leaves or gets too old.

bish
23rd Feb 2004, 12:25
even if the priestess was a boss in the new game, but i won't go into that anymore i've said my piece on that, she would be no match what-so-ever on kain.

he'd wipe the floor with her, and then ring her out to dry with out even breaking a sweat. there is just no point.

bish

NeoDodge
23rd Feb 2004, 12:44
For my part, I say "let's trust CD to finish the series the way it is meant to be finished". I'm sure they can pull off some nasty trick and get us hooked up for at least two more games, but I would appreciate if they made it really epic in the end (though fighting a god was already something !), and did not make it TOO long. I'll be fine with everything they come up with (for the time bieng, that is), but I do hope thay don't push this thing too far. As for the priestess thing, forgotten she was, forgotten she must remain.

DJpick
23rd Feb 2004, 16:23
good call Yoda :)

warpsavant
24th Feb 2004, 04:23
roflmao. The series REALLY should've been over 3 games ago.

WraithStar
24th Feb 2004, 04:28
If you want to get technical, it shouldn't even be a series because what if Kain accepted the sacrifice at the end of Blood Omen 1? I really don't care where they might have considered taking the series. I care where they are actually going with it. I can see a few more good games in this series, depending on how they handle things, and I will trust their judgement to say when it's over (now that I know that there will be at least one more game;) )

warpsavant
24th Feb 2004, 04:32
If Kain accepted the Sacrifice he would've been reborn! Ariel probably knew the whole time.

the Scion of Balance

edit: I cant even spell Kaiin!

WraithStar
24th Feb 2004, 04:39
How would he have been reborn? I know in Defiance he wakes up, but I got the impression that he didn't die there, he was just unconscious. So if he, the Scion of Balance, chooses to sacrifice himself, the Pillars would be destroyed completely (no more vampires in Nosgoth) and they wouldn't be able to resurrect him.

warpsavant
24th Feb 2004, 04:47
I got the impression he died.

Maybe we should ask somebody!

Edit: Nah, we dont need to ask anyone. He dies. Nothing would happen to the Pillars, I'm pretty sure they are connected to the younger Kain refusing the Sacrifice.

If anything, something would have happened in the era of SR1, IMO. And it wouldnt matter.

DJpick
24th Feb 2004, 08:21
I personally think he died. Although the wound was in the gut, it was a pretty drastic wound. Besides, after Kain "returned" Moebius and EG didn't "see" him anymore like they used to, which to me implies something happened to him. If he hadn't died, then what Moebius said about not expecting Kain to return would have been strange. Yet when he returned, Moebius was surprised, which to me means either Kain died and Moebius thought that was the end and a return was unexpected, or Kain died and his ressurection allowed him some sort of freedom from being visible in the timestream to Moebius.

But that's just me.

WraithStar
28th Feb 2004, 18:44
Well, maybe, when you phrase it that way. However, what I was thinking of is that Kain's soul doesn't seem to go anywhere (he doesn't, for instance, find himself impaled with Mortanius talking to him again), so I didn't view that as death. You have a point about Moebius and the Elder God losing their omniscience, though.

DJpick
29th Feb 2004, 05:41
As for BO1, I'm not sure whether that was an actual sceen. Because we are to believe Mortanius prevented his soul from passing yet in Defiance we were told mortanius just placed the HoD in Kain as an "experiment". I tend to see the BO1 scene as a metaphorical dream. Unless what he said in Defiance is HOW Mortanius allowed Kain to return after the deal was made. Who knows.

kakarot
7th Mar 2004, 03:03
Originally posted by Umah Bloodomen
The story of the Priestess is long dead and buried. It really needs to stay that way. I am not opposed to the introduction of a female character, however at this point in time, Kain's story needs to be brought to a close. Any new characters really should be reserved for an entirely new series.

agreed. close out the legacy. pick up with a new series some 1000 years later, a decendant of the clans or something like that.. would be the way to go.

Zagreus
8th Mar 2004, 16:03
I think that an interesting end would be to encorperate the seer as a second playable character, and or a human of some kind to close the story.