because your cats can have seizures and even die after using
hartz flea medicine like one drop flea medicine ,flea powder
flea collar and flea shampoo if brave enough to give your cat
bath. plus if you goto google and type hartz side effect you will
see how many cats loss their life after having hartz one drop
flea medicine.

Omega_Weapon
17th Feb 2004, 12:13
Cats clean themselves all the time, and will usually get rid of half the fleas all by themselves. Usually giving them good baths on a regular basis is fine for getting rid of fleas on cats. With persistence, you won't need any flea medicine at all.

The trick is getting the fleas out of the carpet, furniture, etc. so the cat doesn't get re-infested with them. Wash EVERYTHING to help speed up the process, and steam-clean the carpets.

THE True Lara
17th Feb 2004, 19:28
HHHAAAHAA HA AHA AHA AHHAHAHAA HAAAAH AHAAA HAAAAAAA ......giving your cat a bath!!!!! Trying to get a cat near a bowl of water alone, you must be joking!

Omega_Weapon
17th Feb 2004, 23:54
Sure you'll get a couple of gallons of your own blood spilled by the claws of a p*ssed-off kitty, but it can be done.

WesternWhiteWolf
18th Feb 2004, 01:57
My animals have fleas, but I can't do anything about it because my parents won't buy them medicine, and I have no money of my own.:(

Deckard
20th Feb 2004, 15:59
I remember once we bathed one of our cats to rid her of fleas. I did not like it. It was really dangerous, because we had to hold her for quite a while: first to get her coat well soaked (that's not as easy as it sounds!), than soaped (she didn't like the smell of the soap, not at all!) and lastly well rinsed (at that moment she really lost her temper). As said, it was a long and dangerous procedure to us, but above all a long, strenuous and totally incomprehensible torture for the cat. I'll never forget her regretful looks. I therefore must say that bathing them is not my favourite choice.

I guess, that any method is debatable, but my present method of choice is the use of pump sprays, e.g. frontline. They don't like that either and it must be used with some caution, but at least it's quick and relatively clean. And its a prevention for at least 1 month against fleas and ticks. I hate ticks! Brrr ....

Anyway, what Omega said is very important: keep the fleas out of your home, or you'll get into the same or worse trouble again and again. Should I explain "worse"? :D :D :D

dhama
20th Feb 2004, 18:27
SAFE REMEDY.............
Put Rosemary (the herb) into their bedding and sprinkle it into the carpet and anywhere the cat might lay. It not only makes the house smell nice; fleas actually hate this herb so much they migrate somewhere else.
Be prepared for a continuous ongoing campaign though, specially if your cat(s) go outside a lot.

You could place a bowl of very hot water on the carpet where there may be an infestation of cat fleas; they'll jump straight into it thinking it's a cat. They're attracted to warmth.

Note: Be careful of bathing cats or kittens as their skin is very sensitive to shampoos and soap....even the baby care type.
If you do bath a cat or kitten, once in a lifetime is enough.

CatSuit&Ponytail
21st Feb 2004, 10:04
Originally posted by Omega_Weapon
Cats clean themselves all the time, and will usually get rid of half the fleas all by themselves.

Fleas are more than nasty, they can make your cat sick and anemic, I would suggest buying an inexpensive flea-comb, and comb the cat every day. The cat will enjoy the attention, and you will enjoy catching those nasty fleas and flushing them. This works well with longer haired cats, I never tried on a short hair. Pay special attention to the neck and top-of-the-tail (rump) areas.

Dhama, I never thought of a bowl of water....but I do know those little buggers can jump like nobody's business.

THE True Lara
23rd Feb 2004, 15:07
Originally posted by dhama
SAFE REMEDY.............
Put Rosemary (the herb) into their bedding and sprinkle it into the carpet and anywhere the cat might lay.

Their bedding, so that means the whole house really ;)

The bowl of water one is interesting, ...of course some of us have deduced as much from past experiences of finding little visitors in our cups of tea :p

Flea collars actually work rather well. Sadly my little moggy (short haired btw) has a propensity to get her legs caught up in them, and has nearly throttled herself 3 times in the process, so she remains collar free nowadays and any problems are treated with 'Frontline' as prescribed by Mr Vet. Which seems to work brilliantly. -Literally involves steathily putting three drops on kitty's neck shwen she's not paying attention and that's it. No pills, (thank god! ;) ) no washing, and no combing. Happy owner, happy cat.

dhama
23rd Feb 2004, 18:28
Originally posted by THE True Lara
Their bedding, so that means the whole house really ;)

You'll notice that cats choose a favourite place to sleep for a time, and then change it from time to time, so use of the herb around their favourite spots of the time would suffice.

I've got to say that flea collars are for lazy owners, or people that don't have time to spend clearing their pet of fleas naturally. They're also not very nice to the cat, although fleas do their health more damage.

THE True Lara
23rd Feb 2004, 21:42
Originally posted by dhama
I've got to say that flea collars are for lazy owners, or people that don't have time to spend clearing their pet of fleas naturally. They're also not very nice to the cat, although fleas do their health more damage.
I honestly wasn't aware of that, my mother spent most of her childhood living next door to a vet's and she's never mentioned anything. How so are they damaging? I presuming this is a chemicular exposure problem of some sort.

Deekman
24th Feb 2004, 13:20
Before I had Shep and Yuri, I had Kiev and Scratch. They were strictly indoor cats.
My boneheaded roommate at the tiime had the bright idea to let Scratch out into the back yard one day simply because he had been looking out the window.
Well, from that short five minute backyard excursion, he brought in a year and a half or two worth of flea problems. But giving them flea baths?
Kiev just froze and took it like a trooper. Scratch on the other hand hated them to no end.
He would scream like a banshee to the point that it sounded like somebody was being murdered, and it actually felt like someone was jamming an ice pick into my eardrums.
Constant vacuumiing helped, aided by doses of flea powder inside the vacuum cleaner. My ears still shudder at the memory of it all.
Fortunately, Shep and Yuri have no idea what a flea is.

dhama
24th Feb 2004, 18:26
Originally posted by THE True Lara
How so are they damaging?

Not so much damaging but all the same, not very nice for the cats that wear them. Although, as i've said, fleas are more damaging.

whitemetal
25th Feb 2004, 10:00
Was that vacuum the cat or the house DEEKMAN :D :D

Deekman
25th Feb 2004, 13:22
Oh, definately the house. Every nook and cranny, and piece of furniture as well.
Every day.
The cats were scared to death of the vacuum. They'd scatter and hide even if they saw me picking up an attachment.

CatSuit&Ponytail
25th Feb 2004, 15:21
I don't know a single cat who likes the sound of the vaccum.

I wonder what the reaction would be to this little beauty.... ;)

http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/01/48/4a/53/21514835.JPG

*click for product details, hehehe*
http://www.electroluxusa.com/Files/Images/Section_Image/trilobite_gorgeous.jpg (http://www.electroluxusa.com/node70.asp)

Deekman
25th Feb 2004, 17:56
http://www.electroluxusa.com/Files/Images/Section_Image/trilobite_gorgeous.jpg
Sit up!
no response
Fetch!
no response
Roll over
no response
Clean the floor
VRooooooommmba
Meooooow!http://www.gifs.net/animate/a-crun.gif

dhama
25th Feb 2004, 18:26
It's worth mentioning that fleas like a clean environment, so the cleaner the house, the more the fleas.......... That's why you should sprinkle rosemary around and tread it into the carpet...then vacumm once a week.

TR James
10th Mar 2004, 19:22
I have a rabbit (see 'broken toe' post). He doesn't seem to get fleas. I have bathed him though. Rabbits have POWERFUL back legs, ouch.