PDA

View Full Version : Now how about those mansions?

buildingbanger
16th Feb 2004, 02:17
The only real reason I play Thief is because the mansions are great. Like Truarts Mansion for instance. I just knock everyone out then take all the bodies out and i make the house my own.

I just love how the houses were designed the ex looking glass people are architechs now or something.

So, will the places be bigger on the new thief? The bigger the better.

Acronomic
23rd Feb 2004, 19:04
I don't really know, but IMO there should be huge castles where you can move in and out of the building at any time using windows, and maybe find certain places outside where you can climb even higher to another floor.

coldplay_josh_106
23rd Feb 2004, 19:29
That sounds really cool. You can just hop out the window and scale the wall to the roof with your wall climbing gloves.

FANTASTIC!!!

BrokenArts
23rd Feb 2004, 19:39
I am looking forward to the new tools. Have to at least try them. The old saying, change is hard for some people, aye? And the buildings, I plan on taking my time, I know some of it will be awesome. :)

imported_deadly_thief
10th Mar 2004, 17:07
i like the wall climbing gloves idea but i think rope arrows should be kept too but with a added feature like swinging to get to hard to reach places

OrgrimDarkwater
10th Mar 2004, 17:34
Yeah. I have always liked what they have come up with. I guess those balls from theif 2 would alert a guard now. I also liked the mansions.

thiefessa
10th Mar 2004, 18:20
Don't care how big or small the buildings are...just so long as they keep those cobweb-hidden secret passages and switches!

Whatz His Name
10th Mar 2004, 18:32
Yes, I love the "breaking and entering" aspect of the games the best. The tunnels, tombs, & submarine missions didn't tickle my fancy. Put me outside a building and require me to break in and rob the place clean!!! Now thats thief work!!! :D

OrgrimDarkwater
10th Mar 2004, 18:42
I liked the espionoge part of the hammer quest in the first game. Anyone else like it?

simont1981
12th Mar 2004, 00:39
Personally, I loved Thief when it had the full-on medi-evil feel to it.

Thief II had a number of areas that didn't do it for me, it was too heavy in technology, the submarine mission sucked, and the security cameras were a joke.

I'll probably get flamed for these opinions, but they are just that, my own opinions.

I remember all the old debates and arguments as to what time Thief was set, it all boiled down to one thing, fantasy! I know it's not a medi-evil/robin hood type thing, but for me, it was as close as you could get to the dark ages :)

Bring on fat Nobel’s mansions, eerie castles with torch lit passages and a lovely tavern ;)

Fossa
12th Mar 2004, 02:37
One of my biggest concerns with the climbing gloves, is, in all honesty, that the levels will be designed apropriatly with them in mind (And the new engine doesn't help with that much either).

Let me explain.

In Thief 1 and 2 there were running contests as to who could break the rules the most in terms of where exactly you could wiggle your way up to. Roof top pioneering. As dumb as it may sound it was actually amazingly fun and there were even some places where the developers put easter eggs with that in mind (Thief 2, when you are breaking into the police station, go straight forward at the start, mantle on to the dumpster rim, run, jump, mantle on to the houses roof, turn around, run, jump, mantle over the thin wall, drop down to be beyond the normal playing area and find two dancing zombies). There was a certain finesse with finding a nub of wood on a distant wall and sticking a rope arrow into it to go WAY outside the normal limits of the level. It was a game in and of itself, one I'm going to miss since the world geometry with the unreal engine probably don't allow for this sort of thing and the lack of rope arrows means either its not doable or requires no finesse. I fear the days of roof top pioneering are behind us.

chimpwithalimp
12th Mar 2004, 03:50
or requires no finesse

I think thats what I fear the most. I do hope they don't make it easier all round to cater for a broader audience. Perhaps the modifyable difficulty settings they mentioned will fix all that.

I really enjoyed thinking on my feet, and if I was spotted by a guard, I'd have an escape route already set up with rope arrows in high beams, so I can dash into a room, scarper up the rope, pick it back up and hide in the shadows until the guard gave up.

I'm curious to see if the climbing gloves give the same experience...

Chiefdreams
12th Mar 2004, 04:00
http://shadowguild.net/~brokenarts/ggarrett1.JPG

TheOriginalNobody
14th Mar 2004, 20:02
Mansions are great, but I loved the roof climbing in Life Of The Party. That was great

imported_deadly_thief
14th Mar 2004, 20:41
nice spidy thief did you draw it yourself?

my thidy sense is tingling

Chiefdreams
14th Mar 2004, 20:48
No I took a pic of that whiny Spider Man and painted over it.

imported_deadly_thief
14th Mar 2004, 21:03
you still went to some effort and still did a good job

Chiefdreams
14th Mar 2004, 22:43
Thanks. :)