PDA

View Full Version : Has Thief Affected Any Of You Like It Has Affected Me?

ziili
15th Feb 2004, 20:39
Well.. it's all really weird, but I thought I'd point that out.
After I first played Thief: The Dark Project, I of course liked the game, I wouldn't be here otherwise.
But I must say that, the game has affected me a lot. Especially in my behaviour. For example, today I had to go to the store to buy some things. It was quite late, and as it is winter here, darkness falls early here in Estonia. So it was that day.It is really weird how I think when I'm in a dark environment. Well, I try to avoid all the people in the streets, I'm keeping my eye out for lights, I think how I could go pass that innocent resident unnoticed. I am trying to stay in shadows and I'm listening to my footsteps.Why the hell am I so stealthy when I go outside? And, then finally, I made a bow in my countryhouse. I have practiced shooting and now archery is becoming one of my favourite hobbies. And it all comes down to the day when I first played Dark Project. Well, what I wanted to ask, is, am I the only one that is so weird? :confused:
And please, don't laugh..

theBlackman
15th Feb 2004, 20:46
To be blunt. NO you have lots of company. :D

LeatherMan
16th Feb 2004, 01:57
Yes, Thief has affected me like so many critics of violent video games feared!

Ever since playing Thief Gold (my first Thief game) I find myself with an insatiable appetite for breaking and entering, stealing others' property, knocking out many people, and occasionally even killing people (I'll even be a hit man for the right amount of loot :o)! It's amazing what these games are responsible for!

:D

littlek
16th Feb 2004, 01:58
I can't walk on metal plates on floors anymore.

BrokenArts
16th Feb 2004, 02:49
Thief changed my life in so many ways, besides being the best game........period. I have met and made friends with so many taffers. Even my house is a reflection on some of the aspects of Thief.
Being involved in the community, and also involved in the spin off Thievery.
Have helped with FM's, now working on other games as well.
Even how I carry myself in my everyday life. Yeah, Thief has effected me.

Rommel_1891
16th Feb 2004, 03:17
Ah yes, excellent... another helplessly enters the fold... ;)

Tin Star
16th Feb 2004, 04:55
Yes I find myself hanging out at the local Inn more to gather info on the lay outs of new targets to rob.

:cool: Tin Star

Psi Yamaneko
16th Feb 2004, 06:24
Uhm. . .I wrote a novelization of THIEF: TDP once. :3 Does that count? Even though it was a silly thing that I never finished and wrote during my classes?

~Psi
((Now I just draw during class. Boyeah.))

John D.
16th Feb 2004, 11:16
I made a cloak!:D

ziili
16th Feb 2004, 12:25
but when you go outside, and it's dark, have you ever began to think like I do ?:rolleyes:

Captain Mainwaring
16th Feb 2004, 12:26
I sometimes run up to people with a big hammer shouting 'Receive thy pounding!'

littlek
16th Feb 2004, 16:24
Originally posted by Captain Mainwaring
I sometimes run up to people with a big hammer shouting 'Receive thy pounding!'

LOL...:D Now we'll have to start a fund for the sole use of posting bail to get us over zealous taffers out of jail. Just don't refer to the sheriff as Truart and that the trickster is on the loose. Then we’ll have to break each other out of the asylum.

bravus
16th Feb 2004, 18:22
Knowing this is a family forum, Bravus refrains from saying that he sometimes runs up to his wife saying.... erm, nevermind!

I must say, when I was wandering around London, and particularly the cathedral, I was checking out the Thiefsie architecture and looking for spots to anchor vine arrows...

Captain Mainwaring
16th Feb 2004, 19:14
Sometimes I sneak up behind people and say:

'did you hear something?'

And watch them jump.

Huntress
16th Feb 2004, 22:32
Well this sounds like another llittle version of the "You know when you played enough Thief"? theme :)

However, I still hunch over as if I were really trying to creep and see under/around my area on the monitor as I'm playing...silly thing to do as it doesn't help a bit! :D Ta and Good Hunting!

Chiefdreams
17th Feb 2004, 02:52
Captain Mainwaring that was great!

Made me remember when I was playing cards with the wife and kids. When some bickering started I thought about going to the garage to retreive my rubber mallet to dispense some holy justice.

Rommel_1891
17th Feb 2004, 03:46
Originally posted by John D.
I made a cloak!:D

Yeah me too!! :D ;)

It's the awesomest! Now I just need to find an excuse to use it other than Halloween.... :p

Whatz His Name
17th Feb 2004, 16:11
I developed a taste for crunchy deer leg and cheese. YUM!!!

Captain Mainwaring
17th Feb 2004, 16:52
My door floats away sometimes.

Bat-mite
17th Feb 2004, 21:56
I guess I have to be the spoiler and say that when I am out on the street, I am usually cold, in a hurry, bothered, and not really having time to think about dark spots and sneaking around. Save that fpr the game where it belongs.

littlek
18th Feb 2004, 18:31

LOL. That needs to go in the classic file...:D

SNAKE-LORD
19th Feb 2004, 00:41
yes this game has affected possibly even infected me.
i've officialy self diagnosed myself as having taffers disease.
what's more i have a new found phobia of spiders plants and wine that comes in dark green glass bottles.
i also say the following outloud
"what was that noise? ahh nothin there now...must've been rats."

chimpwithalimp
22nd Feb 2004, 01:47
Originally posted by ziili
but when you go outside, and it's dark, have you ever began to think like I do ?:rolleyes:

I admit it, after long sessions of playing the game when I got it first, I did find myself keeping more to shadows - well, as much as I could without actually changing my route and looking like a stalker. Thief is probably the only series that I got totally involved in when I played it.

littlek
22nd Feb 2004, 16:10
I have long suspected that Thief is inundated with subliminal mind control graphics that have rewired our brains to become…….Hammers. They will soon rule the world! “Join us, join us now!”

Optik45
23rd Feb 2004, 17:23
Ive gotten into the sport of Burrick Hunting.........Havent found any yet but just you wait.

Captain Mainwaring
23rd Feb 2004, 17:55
I do that too.... well, Burricks don't exist, but I just go to the local zoo sometimes to shoot some kangaroos as substitutes.

Optik45
23rd Feb 2004, 19:12
Just have to pretend they spew noxious gases from their mouth, it works just aswell as hunting the real ones.

yubetcha
25th Feb 2004, 16:47
Originally posted by Optik45
Just have to pretend they spew noxious gases from their mouth, it works just aswell as hunting the real ones.

LOL! I dunno why, but this reminded me of the blooper mission. It made me chuckle yet again. Do you new members know which mission that is? Have you seen it? If not, you should. :D

yubetcha
25th Feb 2004, 16:48

I'll have whatever you're having :D

Rommel_1891
25th Feb 2004, 19:06
I do that too.... well, Burricks don't exist, but I just go to the local zoo sometimes to shoot some kangaroos as substitutes.

What if we were to genetically engineer a rhino with two butts? :p ;) :D

The only problem would be feeding it... I suppose we could ask some politicians how!! :cool: