PDA

View Full Version : Thief gold wont run on my computer

keeblor
15th Feb 2004, 03:01
%@*% technology! I have a brand spankin' new alienware computer with all the bells a whistles, but it wont run Thief Gold! Ive been trying and trying to get it to work, but with no luck... (I blame microsoft for not making all versions of windows backwards compatable). So does anyone that had this same problem know any way to get it to work?

keeblor
15th Feb 2004, 03:05
It wont even let me install it, it says it is because it cant install on windows NT because of a direct x limitation, and i have windows XP!

Old Man
15th Feb 2004, 03:09
Search the threads for XP stuff, guy. There's a -lgntforce switch that you can use to get it installed. And then there are the XP hyperthreading tweaks. Plus there's a bunch of stuff you can do in XP called compatibility that may help as well. Just calm down and read up on it a bit. And let us know what you come up with.

keeblor
15th Feb 2004, 03:14
i did a search of :
thief gold xp
windos xp
xp

and came up with nothing to help me, if you could give me a link that would be a great help to me. Thanks.

keeblor
15th Feb 2004, 03:48
Never mind, i got the game to install, but when i play the game, it freezes like 10 seconds into the game...

Old Man
15th Feb 2004, 08:47
Just so you know, I'm one of the four of thirty-five that have been unable to get Thief Gold to work with XP. That leaves thirty-one of thirty-five that have. So, there's still a good chance if you tweak away at it.

I found twenty-five threads (http://forums.eidosgames.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=63555&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending) searching on "gold XP" that may have what you need. Maybe someone with more direct experience can join in here and help you out.

keeblor
15th Feb 2004, 14:30
oops! when i did my search it was only in the thief 3 forum. Any way the problem was hyperthreading, and i disabled it for thief. Now my problem is that the game is much too dark, it makes it verry difficult to see, and gama just makes the black parts grey, so it doesnt help at all. Is there anyway to lighten up the dark? I have a radeon 9800 pro. Thanks for all your help!

Old Man
15th Feb 2004, 15:30
You may want to post this over in the Technical forum. There are some of the old guard who won't come into the Thief III forum to avoid all the negativity. Or better, maybe Peter or Munin or GM or NW or ... might just move this entire thread to the Technical forum for you.

Cobra14744
16th Feb 2004, 17:39
Hey keeblor, Have you tried going to options and then "video options" ( or something like that) and turn gama or brightnes up, hope this helps.

keeblor
16th Feb 2004, 20:41
I fixed it, the game only has gama adjustment, so if I turned the gama up it would just make the black parts gray, whish is just as hard to see, only brighter, so i did all the adjustment on my radeon card, it looks fine now.

Peter_Smith
16th Feb 2004, 22:54
Moved thread and corrected inappropriate language in first post. Please read the rules and keep your wits about you. ;)