PDA

View Full Version : Thief DS is not DE:IW

scud
15th Feb 2004, 00:02
just a reasonable request here. could we please have a single thread where people don't compare thief 3 to DE:IW? its a different team making the game. the company's name means squat. thats like saying that if one Universal Pictures film is crap, then they're all gonna be. its illogical.

mkreku
15th Feb 2004, 02:45
It's not because it's the same company making the two games that people assume Thief 3 is going to be crap. It's because Thief 3 is being developed for Xbox as well as PC, just like Deus Ex: Invisible War was. Most people believe Deus Ex: Invisible War sucked on the PC because of the Xbox limitations they had to put in the game.

Who knows. Personally I have high hopes for Thief 3. I still have Thief 2 installed on my computer.. :)

Kerghan
15th Feb 2004, 05:41
Sure it isnt going to be another DE:IW set in fantasy-ish setting? Better wait until it comes out. ;) However, I think that with all the negative feedack IS got about DE:IW (and the fact that they aren't pressured to rush it out for a Christmas release), they'll do much better this time around. As I've said before, with T3 it sounds like they are adding some good new features instead of stripping the past features of the game down. This is good!

Kaspre
16th Feb 2004, 18:44
Maybe, and I could be going out on a limb here, but just maybe people are comparing T3 to DX2 because they're using the SAME ENGINE for both games.

Ergo, I played DX2 (briefly) and hated it because of the crummy feel of the engine, and I'm therefore somewhat nervous about the T3 implementation. Of course they're not the same game. But if they use the same engine and the engine is what I hated about DX2 - well, you get the point.

On my more optimistic days I'm hoping that they can make the look and feel of the game a lot better, in spite of relying on the same engine. Overall though, I just feel very, very worried about the next version of one of my favorite games of all time.

Quillan
17th Feb 2004, 04:30
DXIW had several major problems, not all of which were due to the engine. The major problem with the engine was performance issues. It ran horribly for the quality it gave. There are games out there that looked better and didn't run as slowly as it did. However, they have had a couple of months now to tweak and optimize the engine, which should help. UbiSoft had similar issues with Splinter Cell, and their first two patches both improved performance. I am hoping really for two things, with regards for improvements from IW:

1) That the interval has allowed them to improve engine performance. It should look far better than it did without running so poorly on really high end computers.

2) Level design for the PC version should be based around the capabilites of a PC, not an Xbox. Have different levels for each version. A level in the PC version can be 3+ levels of the Xbox version combined, and that would be fine. Give us more detailed textures, which we can use if we have the machine to do so.

xxl007
17th Feb 2004, 22:23
Well I think about Deus Ex II that it has got a terrible HUD which I havent got time to get used to so I stoped playing the game (I don't know what I am missing). I hope that Thief 3, because it is made for X-Box, will not get that console look and feel. But that is just my opinion.

Sedge
21st Feb 2004, 03:23
Somone said that Deus Ex 2, and Theif 3 use the same engine... But that's not quite true... they both started out with the same engine, But Thief 3's has been completely rewritten, and doesn't even resemble the Unreal Warfare engine anymore (Read this in an interview)

Just thought I'd share what I've read. Not that anyone cares because you all seem to hate the idea of Thief 3's changes... and I sorta agree... but whatever... give it a chance

BrokenArts
21st Feb 2004, 05:29
Some facts are known to us yes, so much we don't know. I am not reading much anymore on the speculations, what we want, don't want, what it should do, won't do, can't do, will it wash my windows, will he have a cape, will Garrett walk on water? Hell I don't know? It gets ridiculous after a while.
I do know, I will talk about it till the cows come home when it is released. Most things right now are a moot point.

Sedge
24th Feb 2004, 03:46
I love you. Will you have my babies?

I mean... I agree....... yea... That's what I meant...