PDA

View Full Version : can't play movie clips

yossbob
14th Feb 2004, 12:23
The launch of the Thief 3 site has worked up my excitement for this game so I thought I'd reinstall the first two Thief games and play through them for old time sake, but I can't get the intro/mission video clips to play!! The actual game runs fine, but whenever I start a new game or mission it skips the movie clip and goes straight to mission objective screen. Is there anything I can do to correct this problem?

my system:
AMD FX 2600+ @ 1907Mhz
Biostar KM400/8237 333FSB mobo
Hercules Prophet 9800 Pro 128MB, 3.1 CAT drivers
768MB Crucial 2700 DDR memory
IBM 160GB 7200rpm Deskstar HDD
Windows XP Home

DJC
14th Feb 2004, 13:12
Check out our huge Thief FAQ (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75031) over at TTLG! :)

yossbob
14th Feb 2004, 15:53
Thx! though now I feel like such a newb!;)

Peter_Smith
14th Feb 2004, 22:52
Welcome yossbob.:) That is a common problem. The TTLG faq may answer it. As another resource, do a search here for "indeo" or "codec". Usually the problem is that the Indeo codec become corrupted or somehow displaced in the registry. The usual fix is to reinstall the codecs. Some unlucky folks with XP find that they need to reinstall the Indeo codecs every time they play the game. :( :eek: I hope you are not among them. Perhaps the registry trick mentioned at the TTLG will solve this. I can't say for sure because I do not use XP on my Thief computer. Win 98 and 2000 do not seem to have these codec problem, at least in my experience. There is also a recent thread here, "Does Thief work with XP?" that may have some relevant comments. So, search around and try some things. Let us know how you fix it. You might post the results in the Does Thief Work thread so others can take advantage of your experience.