PDA

View Full Version : lots of new or plenty of oldies?

FrozenNorth
14th Feb 2004, 10:56
I was just looking at the Gamespot's screenshots and I felt terribly sick seeing that shadows were darkblue, garret had this string-beltmonsteroutfit and NO black CLOAK and I think strongly that the 3rd person mode doesn't fit him atall 'cos it among other things reveals too much about the so wonderfully sceptical&mysterious Garret :( And what I hear he has a dagger instead of his old good shortsword (a trusty friend in bad situations, gotten already in the first game from Constantine).
This kind of thing is spoiling all that has been exciting and mysterious about Garret and the series. I mean what is a Thief with no cloack and no proper, really dark shadows? i played my Thief with the shadows almost black so you could barely see where you were going. It brought certain atmosphere when zombies were "whining" and walking and you couldn't see them :D
I would also like to have Rope arrows and not to even hear from such things like the WCG. I also would like to have Victoria back. She and Garret seemed to have some really interesting&tricky relationship growing and it would be nice to have even someone from the old games. Old maps and areas could also be included into the City (I would dearly like to get back into the surroundings of the Haunted Cathedral for example) and I LIKE ZOMBIES and no steam monsters which is good as I hear that there will be no robots :)
So what do you think is special about the first two games that should be in the 3rd game also? Those were some of my ideas and thoughts....

EDIT: Some typos :)

theBlackman
15th Feb 2004, 09:02
Wall climbing gloves are useless when you want to get on a beam in the middle of a room.

The ropearrow gave you much more freedom than any pair of climbing gloves.

Can you see a glove letting you swing from rope to rope across a chasm, as in the crypts in TDP Lost City?

A good part of the appeal of the game will vanish without the ropearrow.

Or imagine trying to get to the upper chamber through the pool in Constantines flower garden in SWORD, without a ropearrow. If it is "gone" from the new game, I for one, with be extremely Pissed, and dissatisfied, regardless of the "new" graphics etc.

ion
15th Feb 2004, 12:52
Victoria is dead, isn't she?

If rope arrows are out, I'm out.

Acorn
23rd Feb 2004, 06:45
I liked tracking the Trail of Blood, and following people without them knowing I'm there. And going over the roof tops.

tealsmith
23rd Feb 2004, 13:35
Originally posted by ion

Yes.

Acronomic
23rd Feb 2004, 16:51
Originally posted by FrozenNorth
I was just looking at the Gamespot's screenshots and I felt terribly sick seeing that shadows were darkblue,

The shadows will not be blue in the final version, this probably just to show off as much as possible of the game.

garret had this string-beltmonsteroutfit and NO black CLOAK

--He never wore a cloak while operating. Who knows, maybe he will wear it in some missions.

and I think strongly that the 3rd person mode doesn't fit him atall 'cos it among other things reveals too much about the so wonderfully sceptical&mysterious Garret

--I guess that's what the developers thought too before trying it.

:( And what I hear he has a dagger instead of his old good shortsword

--Wasn't that a longsword? And the dagger fits him better IMO.

(a trusty friend in bad situations, gotten already in the first game from Constantine).
This kind of thing is spoiling all that has been exciting and mysterious about Garret and the series. I mean what is a Thief with no cloack and no proper, really dark shadows? i played my Thief with the shadows almost black so you could barely see where you were going. It brought certain atmosphere when zombies were "whining" and walking and you couldn't see them :D
I would also like to have Rope arrows and not to even hear from such things like the WCG. I also would like to have Victoria back. She and Garret seemed to have some really interesting&tricky relationship growing and it would be nice to have even someone from the old games.

--Maybe there will be, we should all just stop making conclutions and wait for the game first.

Old maps and areas could also be included into the City (I would dearly like to get back into the surroundings of the Haunted Cathedral for example) and I LIKE ZOMBIES and no steam monsters which is good as I hear that there will be no robots :)

--Yeah, that'll be great, cause I think many people despised the robots... including me. :P

So what do you think is special about the first two games that should be in the 3rd game also? Those were some of my ideas and thoughts....

EDIT: Some typos :)

FrozenNorth
23rd Feb 2004, 23:18
Originally posted by ion

If rope arrows are out, I'm out.

Yeh she died but after all she was a bit like a Goddess (like Trickster) so I don't think it would be so lame/unbelievable if she came back. But I doubt it...just hoping there are even some persons&backrounds&happenings mentioned from the previous games. That would bring depthness into the game and would wake the new-comers interests about the first two games and maybe even get ppl to play those classics :)

Nosferatu
24th Feb 2004, 00:19
Yeh she died but after all she was a bit like a Goddess (like Trickster) so I don't think it would be so lame/unbelievable if she came back. But I doubt it...just hoping there are even some persons&backrounds&happenings mentioned from the previous games. That would bring depthness into the game and would wake the new-comers interests about the first two games and maybe even get ppl to play those classics :)

I bought Thief Gold and Thief II over eBay, but Thief II came with 2 install discs...That a**hole screwed me over...Dammit...

SNAKE-LORD
24th Feb 2004, 22:06
new things i like.
the knife or dagger.
but only if it's an option.
this way i get to play the game at least 2 ways.
1 using the sword 1 using the knife/dagger.
another new thing i like is the little light jewel.
the old 1 was ok but the new 1 looks kewl.
new things i hate wgc yuck bad idea.
old things i like
rope/vine arrows.
they will kill a guard,very handy if you are in a jam.
i bet wgc aren't good for that.
i like basso i think he is a very interesting character.
i would really like to see him in the new game.
maybe with a bit more info on his relationship with garret could come forward this way.
old things i hate.
the zombies and the robots that shot things.
the face things that watch rooms.
i guess i just prefer human targets better.
after all we "humans are the most deadly animal".
in case you were wondering i was quoting (Anton LaVey).

Vrbas
25th Feb 2004, 01:03
Well let me start with the sword: The sword was soo much fun to have in the game and it contributed more to the logic of the game. Example-Garrett wouldn't go unarmed into whatever adventure he is off to and a dagger i consider to be unarmed. If the sword is out of the game then what happens when you are discovered by a guard, out of flash bombs, NO FREAKING ROPE ARROWS, some crappy WCG that do you no good cause you find out that you are in the middle of a huge room with WOODEN RAFTERS above (hint hint), and no other forms of escape. You're not going to turn around and poke your little dinky dagger at him. I never used the sword as a means of killing someone i wanted to kill. It was always a last resort that you know you have to use b\c there is no more running and hiding and all your other escape routes are gone. Plus, when you were able to block an attack, the way the sword moves in the direction the blow comes from is incredibly detailed. I mean the physics of it all. The sound of a 2-sided blade scraping against a guards longsword is an unforgettable and extremely realistic sound.

Now my opinion on the WCG: Well, simply put........ they're gay!!! Since when did Garrett, master thief, rush to "scurry" up a wall to escape a guard like some ninja? WCG reguire no skill. You put them on, find a wall, and climb up it. All it takes is strength. Now with rope arrows you have to aim, hope what you are shooting is wood, and climb up it. See, more skill involved. If you've never shot a bow and arrow before, it's harder than you think, alot harder.

Now i do like the idea that someone mentioned in another post. The idea of being able to climb walls just by using your hands. I mean being able to find the crack in the wall and making your way up the wall all by yourself actually sound pretty neat. No need for gloves Ion Storm. Rope arrows will do fine.

Oh, and Garrett does need his cloak. BADLY!!!!

wipeoutxl21
25th Feb 2004, 02:34
Hopefully Edios's developers are watching.....because there seems to be ALOT of unhappy hardcore thief fans now that they are changing it all up. If they were smart they would take note....but they wont.......and we know it.....because they dont want to appeal to the hardcore gamers because we make up a small majority. They want to appeal to the mainstream who wants flashy graphics.....sigh.....runs of to shoot some rope arrows....

wipeoutxl21
25th Feb 2004, 02:40
and just to make my posistion clear, I would be perfectly happy if they just made 15 more random levels using the old thief 2 engine, put em on a cd, and shipped em out for 50 bucks. I would totally buy that! I dont need any "improvments" over the old.

The mistake they are making is that they are taking away what worked and trying to replace it with something that "might" work.

What they should do is just add the dagger and WCG instead of replacing the current short sword and rope arrow with them. No one would complain about having too many tools! It would satisfy everyone and make a much better game! Okay, im letting this die......

Jareware
27th Feb 2004, 11:46
Originally posted by wipeoutxl21
.....sigh.....runs of to shoot some rope arrows.... :D

BTW, FrozenNorth nice to bump into other finns here. What region/city are you from? I'm more from Kirkkonummi than Helsinki, actually. :)

-JR-

vesselle
28th Feb 2004, 09:26
i never used the longsword. ever.
and in other games i play, a dagger or short sword is traditional for a thief, so i have no problem with garret using a dagger.

i'm just more worried about how they are dumbing down the game for sales. no swimming. :( what about guard-tossing? i like the sounds they make when they drown. i'll miss that. and i don't like how they are forcing us into combat. this game has never had combat at it's core. it was a last ditch choice when all other choices failed.

anyway, i guess what bugs me MOST, is that they said they aren't catering to "MIT grads".... essentially they just called us all "nerdy gaming geeks"!!! *jawdrop* they slammed us. in print! i'd expect that from a clueless idiot from school, but from a game dev?

i can't believe i'm saying this, but i'm not getting the game until after release and i hear from other thiefsie's what they think.

V***V

FrozenNorth
28th Feb 2004, 11:29
Originally posted by Jareware
:D

BTW, FrozenNorth nice to bump into other finns here. What region/city are you from? I'm more from Kirkkonummi than Helsinki, actually. :)

-JR-

From Mikkeli
I could have handled this via PM but it's always so nice to tease ppl with something they have no idea what it means :D
So hyvää päivänjatkoa vaan kaikille :)

Jareware
29th Feb 2004, 00:21
Samoin. :)

But yes, we ARE wandering a bit off-topic here...

-JR-

Vrbas
29th Feb 2004, 02:33
Who said there will be no swimming?

Jareware
29th Feb 2004, 15:29
Vrbas: null did.

http://66.193.119.177/index.php?showtopic=208645

-JR-

Vrbas
29th Feb 2004, 19:33
Crap.

Jareware
29th Feb 2004, 21:21
You can say that again. :) :(

-JR-

ion
1st Mar 2004, 16:29
That would bring depthness into the game and would wake the new-comers interests about the first two games and maybe even get ppl to play those classics :)

I bought Thief 2 first when I saw it at a shelf.
I thought Garret looked so bad-ass, so I checked it out.
Then the concept of stealth appealed right to my very soul.
It was one of hte few impulse buys I've not regretted.

In the game, I heard people mentioning "the trixter" and "the pagans" and "Victoria" and, so I decided to find out, and found Thief 1 in a pack with a few other games.

Also I found out that there was a "Thief Gold", which I bought, only to find out that the only difference was three extra levels.
I was rather pissed because I was used to get my levels for free...

I think that it would be a neat idea to sell the whole triology, especially now that it's getting harder and harder to get hold of the old games...