PDA

View Full Version : Fullscreen effects + FSAA = no?

Valnar
14th Feb 2004, 09:37
I'm running Defiance on an Athlon 2200 XP with a Radeon 9700 Pro, and I wonder: why can I not enable fullscreen effects AND FSAA? If I check Fullscreen Effects then FSAA greys out, and vice versa. Beautiful game regardless so I am mostly just curious :)

Yautjatraker/Albatraous
14th Feb 2004, 11:21
i have the same problem, i cannot find a why around it. happens with almost all my games.

it is because most developers configure games to work on NVidia cards than ATI, so we get the less pleasurable experiance.

so want FSAA on Defiance though, it why i paid for it on PC rather than a console.

blincoln
14th Feb 2004, 11:24
This is not because it's a console port.

The full-screen effects are (to my knowledge) composited on top of the 3D graphics after the graphics card has already rendered them. This means that the card can't then run FSAA on them.

The PC version of Halo is the same way.

Yautjatraker/Albatraous
14th Feb 2004, 11:33
i didn't say it was because of a console port, i said because of the way the rendering is written, which rarely seems to allow better graphics on an ATI card.

the only console thing i said was that i wanted the pc version for the FSAA, since most console games dont bother to support it, since TV dont render in as high a resolution, so isn't a problem.

i thought it was a good port anyway, and i even get the same problem with halo (as you said) and also with the BRAND NEW GAME DEMO far cry, which just goes to show how bad the ATI situation is.

blincoln
14th Feb 2004, 20:36
It's not really an ATI versus Nvidia thing, at least as far as I know. Jurjen is the only one here who could say for sure.

Even if it were, developers can't afford to code for a specific brand of PC hardware unless they're getting some sort of payout from the manufacturer. The PC games market is unforgiving enough even when you make a game that as many people as possible can play.

Yautjatraker/Albatraous
15th Feb 2004, 10:48
it just annoys me that 9/10 games dont support anti-alisaising and vsync on my pc, yet on my old Nvida card, all games worked.

the only solution ATI can do is code their drivers in a similar way to NVidia, so all the games can use the features of the card.

Jurjen
15th Feb 2004, 23:47
Well, fulscreen effects + FSAA are a bit of a mess. The way graphics cards on PC work, and the way they implement their FSAA sortof go against the way the fullscreen effects work. Basically it comes down to the fact that on the PC you can't directly use result of something that was rendered using FSAA to render something else, and that's what happens for the fullscreen effects all the time.

One might recall that the (much simpler) fullscreen effects in SR2 didn't allow FSAA at all. On Defiance the engine performs manual supersampling FSAA by rendering to oversized textures (2X). The problem is the ATI hardware only allows textures sized 2048*2048 maximum. So if your resultion is 1280*1024 or higher the game is unable to double it, and therefore it will not be able to perform FSAA.

NVidia hardware supports textures up to 4096*4096, and therefore will be able to perform the manual FSAA at much higher resolutions.

The above problem does have workarounds though, but those have other performance implications, and limit the types of fullscreen effects that can be done. Such mechanisms might be used by Defiance based engines in the future, but they're not feasible to still implement into Defiance itself. (That's why it didn't make it into the patch.)