PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILER] Several questions I have

LOKFan
14th Feb 2004, 07:25
After replaying Defiance, there are still some things I don't quite understand.

1. The continuity between Mortanius' message to Kain to return to the Pillars and Vorador's execution seem to be wrong.

In BO, Vorador was executed, Kain killed Moebius then Mortanius told him to return to the Pillars.

BUT, in Defiance, Mortanius tells Kain to return to the Pillars, Moebius is still alive in Vorador's Mansion and he tells Raziel that Vorador is yet to be executed.

2. Kain's decision at the Pillars causes a rift allowing the Hylden Lord to escape, right? But, what I don't understand is how was he able to exist in the Material Realm when he broke out of Mortanius body and fought Kain as the Unspoken at the Pillars. The rift allowing him to escape hasn't yet occured.

3. What exactly was Kain's edge of the coin that he mentioned in SR2? Is it Raziel's free will?

4. There are murals depicting the Reaver being used against the Hylden. But, if Vorador forged it, this must mean that it was forged after the Ancients were afflicted with the bloodcurse. However, this was after the Hylden were banished. Are these murals incorrect?

5. Kain said in SR2 that two identical bodies meeting in time and space would a temporal distortion and anyone would be able to change history in these moments. How does the revelation that Raziel is the only being to have free will affect this?

6. Kain seems to have an awful lot of screenshots and trailer footage in Vorador's Mansion. In fact, it seems too much to merely say it was only for advertising purposes. Did Kain have a level in Vorador's Mansion originally? Perhaps, explaining his appearance in BO2?

7. Was the Sarafan/Hylden Lord's form in BO2 his true form?

8. Janos and Turel both turn into slightly similar looking beasts. Has this got something to do with the fact that they were both possessed by Hylden?

9. How can the Elder God destroy objects in the Spectral Realm? (e.g. the stone structure that blocks off the Underworld)How would this appear in the Material Realm?

Dogfight
14th Feb 2004, 08:02
Before asking so many questions you should read these official F.A.Q.'s on Defiance from blincoln's site. Clinck the links below.

http://www.thelostworlds.net/Defiance-Amy.HTML

http://www.thelostworlds.net/Defiance-JenRichardKyle.HTML

1. There are three possible answers, Mortanius left a recording for Kain elsewhere, as depicted in Blood Omen 1, Moebius simply went back in time, or both.

2. The form of the Demon was not the Hylden Lord's spirits true body but a deformation of Mortanius' flesh. Click the link below for an old F.A.Q. on Soul Reaver 2, which confirmed this.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?threadid=169

3. Yes, but it may be seen as something else as well.

4. Some will tell you that those murals are simply symbolic. I get the sense that they are more than this and that they are true. The logical reason being that even the Ancients couldn't get all the Hylden in one place to banish them.

There likely was a main war that ended when most of the Hylden were banished, but some battles continued after between the Ancients and the remaining Hylden in Nosgoth.

5. Raziel's spirit is the key, two identical vampiric wraith blade's meet, creating a paradox. By postponing the ghost Raziel's fate in Soul Reaver 2, Kain gave back Raziel's spirit his free will for Defiance.

6. These scenes were meant only to be promotional demo footage.

7. Yes.

8. No, Turel became a monster because he developed into one due to the nature of his soul. Janos devolved into the Beast in Blood Omen 2 because he was sapped of his life's blood and drained of energy by the Device.

9. The Elder exists with a physical form in the Material Realm, and with a spiritual form in the Spectral Realm. The Elder simply started destroying physical objects in the Material Realm and Raziel's spirit saw this in the Spectral Realm.

6. This was merely promotional demo footage.

LOKFan
14th Feb 2004, 08:24
Thank you DogFight but I did already read those links.

1. OK, I follow the Mortanius recording theory, that seems to make sense.

2. Ah right, I forgot about that old FAQ. I remember now.

5. So, it can only be two identical versions of Raziel's spirit then. So, it being any two identical bodies is untrue, then?

8. If you follow the devolution of the brothers, the more monstrous the brother became the weaker the portion of Kain's soul he recieved and the stronger the portion of Kain soul he recieved, the more humanoid he was. BUT, Turel does not follow this trend.

If you look at the original concept design for Turel in SR, you can see that he was meant to follow the trend

Plus, Raziel says "The others were grotesque, but...", showing that he is significantly different from the rest of the brethren.

I was wondering whether his Hylden possession had something to do with this.

Dogfight
14th Feb 2004, 08:56
Here is my response

5. So, it can only be two identical versions of Raziel's spirit then. So, it being any two identical bodies is untrue, then?

Only two Soul Reavers meeting cause a paradox. I am not certain about two of the same bodies meeting causing a paradox, but up to now only when two Soul Reaver's meet which are spiritual in nature is there a paradox.

8. If you follow the devolution of the brothers, the more monstrous the brother became the weaker the portion of Kain's soul he recieved and the stronger the portion of Kain soul he recieved, the more humanoid he was. BUT, Turel does not follow this trend. If you look at the original concept design for Turel in SR, you can see that he was meant to follow the trend

Plus, Raziel says "The others were grotesque, but...", showing that he is significantly different from the rest of the brethren.

I was wondering whether his Hylden possession had something to do with this.

Yes, I know about this, Turel received the second richest portion of Kain's dark gift, next to Raziel. Even so, a piece of Turel's soul was corrupted, affecting his evolution to some degree.

The Hylden possession seems to have driven Turel mad, along with his imprisonment this has led to some injuries to his appearance. Initially when Turel started evolving into the current monstrous form, he likely started out looking much like the kin of his clan the Turelim, except taller, later he might have continued evolving into the giant form. Turel's giant body, seems adapted for much rapid movement and jumping unlike that of his other brothers, I doubt he could have evolved to such a form in a pit.

LOKFan
14th Feb 2004, 09:57
Only two Soul Reavers meeting cause a paradox. I am not certain about two of the same bodies meeting causing a paradox, but up to now only when two Soul Reaver's meet which are spiritual in nature is there a paradox.

I've just realised something. When Kain meets Janos in BO2, there are two Heart of Darknesses in the same room.

It must only be the presense of two of Raziel souls that causes a temporal distortion since one did not occur in the incident above.

Zephon
14th Feb 2004, 11:04
perhaps Turel's desperation 2 escape the pit gave him a form that seemed adapted to climbing

WraithStar
14th Feb 2004, 18:26
Originally posted by LOKFan
4. There are murals depicting the Reaver being used against the Hylden. But, if Vorador forged it, this must mean that it was forged after the Ancients were afflicted with the bloodcurse. However, this was after the Hylden were banished. Are these murals incorrect?

In the mural, was Vorador clearly a vampire, or did he look human? I can't seem to remember right now, but when I was playing the game, I was under the impression that Vorador forged the Reaver while he was still human which was why Janos trusted him enough to transfer the curse to. Of course, my mental timeline is a little messed up, but I thought Vorador was alive as a human before the Hylden were banished.