PDA

View Full Version : Updated preview on Gamespot

Quillan
13th Feb 2004, 04:40
Gamespot has a new impressions article on Thief 3 up as of today. I found it interesting reading. You can find the entire article <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/thief3/preview_6089325.html target="_blank">here</a>. In the article, I found definite answers to two questions I have seen asked recently:

First

The game is also being developed with input from several former designers from Looking Glass Studios, along with voice-over from Stephen Russell, who provided the voice of Garrett in the previous games.
So, yes, Garrett's voice is the same actor as the previous two, and

As such, the game has a streamlined control scheme that allows Garrett to quickly switch weapons and active items; he can also lean around corners to see any oncoming enemies.
so apparently leaning is in also.

Tin Star
13th Feb 2004, 04:48
If I was reading it right it also said that there would be two versions of it,one for PC and one for Xbox.

Tin Star

Squid
13th Feb 2004, 09:28
They also mentioned that they were learning from their mistakes from DX:IW. Leaning was definitely mentioned, not to mention a freeform City that you can wander around and rob to your heart's content.

I did notice that something wasn't mentioned.... rope arrows. I wonder if the climbing gloves are a replacement?

Squid

HOC
13th Feb 2004, 11:30
Originally posted by Squid

I did notice that something wasn't mentioned.... rope arrows. I wonder if the climbing gloves are a replacement?

i don't know what they mean by "streamlined control scheme" for t:ds, given that the control scheme was simple enough in the previous titles. i just pray it's not some excessively retarded bit where all ya need is a scroll key and equip/holster bit with no options for quick keys.

anyone happen to know if ion storm are actually listening to the community? and not just appealing to the composers of the 2 million death threatening emails i'm certain they've gotten after dx:iw.

taken from the preview at ign:

Warren was proud to say that Deadly Shadows will sport a significant amount of dialogue, even more than was in Dues Ex. For instance, you can hear guards talking about the weather or some other such non-sense or get context sensitive statements such as "Oh my eyes!" or "I'm blind!" if a flash bomb is used while a guard might say "How'd you get up there? Get down from there!" if you've managed to climb up a wall (a nifty new trick for Garrett that replaces the rope arrow). You'll even hear guards complain that they're tired after chasing you in their full armor.

that's a bit of a bummer. i just hope it can only be used on certain surfaces...not including stone walls. cause that'll just kill the excitement of having to escape from an alert guard.

Norsted
13th Feb 2004, 13:53
"Deadly Shadows is powered by an enhanced version of the same proprietary game engine that Ion Storm used for Deus Ex: Invisible War, though it should have both shorter loading times and an improved frame rate over that previous game."

-Gamespot

Oh...."Hooray"....or...no...not the right word..:mad:

Huntress
14th Feb 2004, 01:13
if you've managed to climb up a wall (a nifty new trick for Garrett that replaces the rope arrow). UNQUOTE

THAT'S JUST EXACTLY WHAT I DIDN'T WANT TO SEE :( And yes, I meant to shout...grrrrr!!!! Damn it, I don't want using those damn gloves instead of a rope arrow :( Good lord...don't they get it? I'm getting further away from buying it I'm tellin ya :(

Later

Tin Star
14th Feb 2004, 02:39
I for one will most likely buy it even with the changes they have made in the game and then after I have played through it I will speak my mind on what I thought about the game.
The worst thing that could happen is I''ll be stuck with a bummer of a game and be out of some money but thats the same chance I took when I bought the first and second thief games when they came out.

:cool: Tin Star

thegrommit
14th Feb 2004, 04:02
Originally posted by Huntress
if you've managed to climb up a wall (a nifty new trick for Garrett that replaces the rope arrow). UNQUOTE

THAT'S JUST EXACTLY WHAT I DIDN'T WANT TO SEE :( And yes, I meant to shout...grrrrr!!!! Damn it, I don't want using those damn gloves instead of a rope arrow :( Good lord...don't they get it? I'm getting further away from buying it I'm tellin ya :(

Later

Remember this thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32910)? See how you panicked unnecessarily? How about waiting for the demo before doing it again?

I for one don't want to play the exact same game three times in a row - that's what FM's are for.

[edit] added first paragraph.

ChowYunFat
14th Feb 2004, 06:28
This is a very good & informative article. I liked pretty much all that I read & am getting enthusiastic about the game again. I will miss the rope arrows since they were one of my favorite parts of the original game, but if the climbing gloves are implemented correctly they could be just as good.

Here are a couple of my favorite quotes from the piece on Gamespot:

extra items, like explosive mines, smoke bombs, and flasks of oil that can trip up guards or set them ablaze
Setting guards ablaze???? Sign me up!!!!!!

if you're a fan of the series, you may be relieved to hear that Deadly Shadows will have no steam-powered robots whatsoever
God bless you, Warren Spector for getting rid of those %$#@&*& stupid robots!!!

Squid
14th Feb 2004, 07:32
My one concern about losing rope arrows... you will no longer be able to hang from a rope in the center of a room. You'll have to have something to climb first. In some ways, this actually cuts what FM designers will have to worry about... a wooden ceiling no longer means the player can reach it.

I, for one, am very encouraged by what I've read recently about T:DS, and I'm willing to wait and see how the game plays. After all, I've already ordered the game and put down about half of the money.

Squid2

Huntress
14th Feb 2004, 15:26
thegrommit....no I didn't panic about the not seeing of an Icon of a flashbomb or whatever it was...but the premise remains the same...I don't see a familiar HUD with individual item indentities as in the same thing in one of the screens now showing on a Web site. An arrow (could be water?) with a number above it. Yes, this monitor I'm temporarily using doesn't have the same capability for brightness as my real gaming machine gear does...so it is somewhat darker but still don't use very bright settings anyway. What I am saying however, is that I want to see the same type of HUD as we have been using...I could care less about a fancy graphic for a weapon or item as this seems to indicate their doing instead.

I'm not going to jump for glee just because it's another Thief game and will accept happily anything they may throw at us in the name of Thief. It is the same thing I felt about DE:IW when it was first discussed/demo released and the huge disappointment I felt from that sham :( So understand my reluctance to have full confidence in this new T3 game. As I've said elsewhere, I shall wait for the demo to make my final decision...but I'm also not holding my breath. Ta and Good Hunting!

ChowYunFat
15th Feb 2004, 02:07
You're right, Squid. The best part of having the rope arrows available is that it made players think in three dimensions. When playing missions I was constantly looking up to try to find a wooden ceiling or beam I could shoot a rope arrow into. Since climbing gloves can be used only on walls, you will have to keep your eyes on a level to look for climb-able surfaces & won't be looking up as much.

Another advantage of the rope arrows is that they allowed the mission designer to limit the places you could access. If you saw a beam sticking out somewhere you could be fairly sure that there was a nearby window you could get into by roping up. But if there are climb-able walls everywhere, players could be forced to try climbing them all to find the few that give you access to something worthwhile.

ninjafisk[dk-cph]
17th Feb 2004, 19:19
Hey you guys keeps talking about a demo....
Is there coming a demo, and if yes, the when???