PDA

View Full Version : garrett the n00b killer?

abbe
12th Feb 2004, 21:49
just some little rambling, probably nothing you havent heard before..

now, i would like to start this little post with saying that "thief: Deadly shadows" is probably the most lame name ive ever heard of, just before "deus ex: invisible war" and just after "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: shadow over chernobyl"...
i mean, why not just put a 3 after thief and something that refers to the games story (like thief, the dark project, or thief 2, the metal age), and if it does refer to the story, is it garret that will do the killing, because all that have played the game on higher levels know that killing is a no-no for him...
i havent really read much about the story, well probably i have but i cant remember what it is right now..
and whats with the third person mode??? how are we gonna "relate to the character" as they say it, if we arent always seeing what he sees? and plus, i dont want a face on him. i want him to be a unknown character that you only know by his actions and how he do them...
anyway, hopefully (im not really getting my hopes up from what ive seen and heard...) its gonna be a good game. and also the possibility to not kill anyone, nor monster, animal or man, through all of the game, i know that didnt work in deus ex 2...

bah, ion storm is friggin console huggers..

Cablestein
12th Feb 2004, 22:24
Well, perhaps you're being too shallow about the name.

Take a closer look at it. It works. Obviously, the whole name lends towards what the game is all about. But at the same time, it has alterior meanings.

For people who will be new to the series, they'll see the words Thief, Deadly, and Shadows. Right away they'd get a sense of what kind of game this is... they'd generally think that they're gonna be playing a thief (implying infiltrating, sneaking, stealing, getting away) who's deadly (implying weapons, killing, tactics) and they'll be playing in dark environments, perhaps gloomy (given the two other words).

But also, "Deadly Shadows" can have other meanings. Right away to me it could refer to friends that are really enemies... that there could be people who seem to be helping Garret on the side, but really they are dangerous.

What would YOU call it? If you had the franchise name of "Thief" and you would not be allowed to use the number 3 (read below), then what would you call the sub-text for the title?

I agree with you about including the number 3, personally, because it's easier to search for "Thief 3" or to write it on the burned CD that I copied... =). But in terms of marketing, a lot of the time it's not good attaching a number after the main brand name. The last release in the Thief series was like what... 4 years ago? That is a long time... and a whole new generation of gamers has been introduced into the industry on modern PC's, PS2, Xbox, GC, etc. No Thief game has come out on today's consoles, and they want to have a fresh start with a revived Thief franchise. Granted PC people can play the older titles, and having a "3" would make them curious about 1 and 2... but again, they probably want to revive the franchise and probably want a wider gap to seperate the third game from the worse-looking older titles. Game companies are always looking for a fresh concept to market, but if you start with showing off that the game is only a sequel to some older games, then you lose some potential.

Mr. Perfect
12th Feb 2004, 22:38
Gee, and for all these years I've been killing every hostile in site. :P

abbe
12th Feb 2004, 22:39
well, im pretty much against cheesy names, thats all..

and i just read the story on the site... and i dont really like it, sure if it was some other fraction that did the backstabbing i wouldnt mind, but this time its the keepers.. theyre the good guys! or was until now anyway..

and youre pretty much right about everyting you say about the name, but its still cheesy and imiplies on the wrong things. :(

well, first of all i would try and get the permission to use the 3, and then i would change it to something else not so cheesy, i dont have too good imagination about those things, maybe "the dark age" (even though thats pretty cheesy too but you get the point).
and i would like to keep the 3 to get the interest up for the other games, because, if this game becomes a known some might be interested in the other titles just to get a deeper understanding of garret and the story and world he lives in. plus, you shouldnt be ashamed of your past, its what made you come here.

abbe
12th Feb 2004, 22:40
Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
Gee, and for all these years I've been killing every hostile in site. :P

rofl! :D
well, how about going to a shrink? ;) :p

HOC
12th Feb 2004, 23:41
Originally posted by Cablestein

But also, "Deadly Shadows" can have other meanings. Right away to me it could refer to friends that are really enemies... that there could be people who seem to be helping Garret on the side, but really they are dangerous.

i think you're spot on about this. after reading the website's small (and new gamer friendly) glimmer into the storyline, i think it's in reference to the keepers and the society. just like metal age was fitting for thief 2, and the dark project for the first.

i just hope that with the "fresh" start on the franchise, they remember who helped make the franchise successful. and not sacrifice them just for the almighty dollar.

Psi Yamaneko
13th Feb 2004, 03:21
My guess is that it will be a good game. But it might not be a THIEF game. Ya know?

mainen8
13th Feb 2004, 03:57
Enough with the deus ex comparisons. Thief 3 wil rule.

Norsted
13th Feb 2004, 14:06
"Deadly Shadows is powered by an enhanced version of the same proprietary game engine that Ion Storm used for Deus Ex: Invisible War, though it should have both shorter loading times and an improved frame rate over that previous game."

You were saying? :rolleyes:

The first Deus Ex rocked.

This new horrid xbox-port has nothing to do with the first great game we all loved.

So, most likely thief 3 will suck big-time. Looking glass studios was a great bunch of programmers with a new and fresh perspective on game play that we will probably never see again.

Sadly enough "money talks bulls*it walks". Meaning the consoles makes the dough for the big software-houses and the PC will never be the great platform it once was.

:(

Cablestein
13th Feb 2004, 15:09
I haven't liked any Deus Ex game yet, and I am not impressed by it's engine either.

In that respect I'm worried about Thief3, but in terms of pulling off the style of the Thief world... I think they're doing a great job (looking at video and screens).

Kerghan
13th Feb 2004, 15:17
Look at the bright side; if the game is as terrible as DX:IW, they can just say Thief: Deadly Shadows was NOT the third installment to the series! So far, it has been stated that the game will be less sluggish then DX:IW and the AI will be more advanced. No messed up looking eye-inventory thing either (but wait, Garret does have a mechanical eye. Oops, better not give them any ideas). Well, much like George Bush's statement to the state of the union:
*I wish Thief 3 would run nicely on my decent comp.
*I wish Thief 3 would not have mouse lag.
*I wish Thief 3 would not be extremely short.
*I wish Thief 3 would be nothing like DX:IW.
*I wish Thief 3's maps would not feel like a gigantic cardboard box with small appartments and city sections inside.

About the info that has been confirmed...
*I'm glad Thief 3 actually has leaning.
*I'm glad they aren't turning Garret into some kind of anime superhero.
*I'm glad to hear they are trying to get the nice looking but extremely messed up engine working better.
*I like the ability to explore sections of the city and get extra loot if you want to, in between missions.

Will Thief 3 be good? After seeing DX:IW, I'm not so sure. Especially since it uses the same engine. However, Thief/Thief 2 was a lot simpler then the Deus Ex and because of this, I think it will translate onto a console better but the thought of small levels that seem like you're walking through a multi-layered mouse maze scares me.

abbe
13th Feb 2004, 20:32
well, IW was pretty fun, as long as you werent reminded it was the sequel to deus ex...

and i promise that the first thing i will do when i start thief 3 is that i will turn of the bloom effect... totally destroying the sharpness in everything, man if i want blurriness i will just remove my lenses... ;)

HOC
13th Feb 2004, 20:50
Originally posted by abbe

and i promise that the first thing i will do when i start thief 3 is that i will turn of the bloom effect... totally destroying the sharpness in everything, man if i want blurriness i will just remove my lenses... ;)

don't forget to edit the ini files so ya don't have mouse lag. ooh, and go through it to find out what game is next in eidos' lineup. oh right, and to see if there are any mentionings of the gameboy advanced, or maybe nokia's ngage. cause we all know these thing's will be left in for some crazy ass reference.

and don't forget to disable the "read-only" feature in the properties.