PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know now LONG it is?

MeJoe
12th Feb 2004, 21:03
It may just be paranoia on my part but the longer the list of Thief III features the more nervous I get.

There is only so much money to develope a game. Every dollar spent in features and candy is one less dollar to be spent developing levels.

I see Deus EX II, Call of Duty, Max Payne 2 and other receint games that are very good but also very short and I wonder if Thief III is going to be yet another game that will be rated as:

"The best 30 minutes you will spend all year."

floogy
13th Feb 2004, 06:18
i completely agree. What i have heard about thief though is that the city is going to to be GTA in nature meaning that you can do freelance thieving outside of the storyline missions. i have always liked freedom in games so it looks promising and might make it longer than a more linear game. it's sad that people demand such amazing graphics and level design that developers can't put time in to just making it longer.

first time i played dx1 it took me 39 and a half hours. those were the sweetest hours of gaming i've ever spent. sure max payne 1 & 2 were awesome but a max or 15 hours a piece? c'mon. i'm gonna get dx2 soon but i've heard it is much shorter which was disappointing news for me. anyway, lets just hope that thief 3 will at least be as long as the first two.

HaVoK-G2
13th Feb 2004, 06:24
I just hope that if it has many small levels that make up a town/map like Duex Ex 2, that it can be modded to take advantage of a PC's superior specs. :o Nothing would be worse to not have enough space outside of a town to run, and if you *zone* the guard would simply not be there/follow you through the zone etc.. *shrug* would kind of ruin the atmosphere because alot of us would be lazy and just use the zones to our advantages.. thus ruining the game kind of.

Anyways I hope it has as much replayability as baffords in Thief I.. I must have played that over 100 times. *Servent at the table is preparing dinner at the cutting board* **THWACK Goes the blackjack** **Throws the servent into the fire with diabolical laughter as he listens to him scream** Baahaha :eek:

Azal
13th Feb 2004, 13:54
According to the news at Gamespot and IGN, there will be 12 missions and a 'freeform' city area where you can whatever you please.

thiefessa
13th Feb 2004, 14:10
Obviously we want it as long as possible, but hey!!...I don't really care, just a 'mere morsel' of more Thief is enough to make me a very happy lady. Thank goodness for those wonderful fan missions that has kept us fans going through the long dark nights of our waiting!

HOC
13th Feb 2004, 14:51
Originally posted by HaVoK-G2
I just hope that if it has many small levels that make up a town/map like Duex Ex 2

how in the hell can ya say that? don't put hope into small levels....period!! the game will be a tragedy if we we, both xbox and pc gamers, have to put up with that BS again.

Kerghan
13th Feb 2004, 15:33
I don't really care, just a 'mere morsel' of more Thief is enough

A mere morsel is good and all...but at $50 that's one expensive morsel ;).

thiefessa
13th Feb 2004, 21:40
STILL worth every Dollar, I say! I can spend more than that on a good night out...with only a hangover to show for it 24 hours late.

Psi Yamaneko
14th Feb 2004, 03:02
how in the hell can ya say that? don't put hope into small levels....period!! the game will be a tragedy if we we, both xbox and pc gamers, have to put up with that BS again.

*IF* is what HaVoc said. ;)

But I agree in general. . .The X-Box effect on levels may come in. . .A pity it is that so much must be sacrificed in the name of a console's limitations.

Shadow Thief
22nd Feb 2004, 04:24
Hey all, I'm new again to the board. I used to live on here about 2+ years ago but have since moved on. Since the official T3 site is up I had to get back into the mix! I still play Thief 1 and 2 on a weekly basis and can't get enough!

Anyway, the way I see the length of this game is all in how you play it. Think about Thief 1, gold or 2. There were some rather small levels, such as Bafford's, Assassins, or even evesdropping. You could beat the level in 15-20 minutes if you cruised through. However, if you played it to be perfect, those same levels might take you 2 hours or more. (At least the first time or two).

So I'm not worried about the length. I think it will vary. Thats the beauty of Thief...its not "levels"where you progress from door a to door b, each level is a world in and of itself.

Acronomic
22nd Feb 2004, 07:49
Welcome back, Shadow Thief! :)

I hope for levels about the same size as the other Thief games. (Although I almost know this for sure)

But I know where I'll be spending most of my time. Cruising around the city, looting and selling. :D

coldplay_josh_106
22nd Feb 2004, 23:42
I read some where that Thief 3s gunna be about 12/13 missions long, including the freelance city. But i hope they change objectives half way through the missions. I always liked it where you went along to complete one objective but end up having to do a completely different objective. It really catches you off guard!

Orumph
23rd Feb 2004, 00:22
Awww, gotta love the mentality of people.

Give me less game play for more money, please! Thank you!

Not all of use think that every bit should be put into eye candy when length of play is comprimised. I can't stand games that take me less than 30 or 40 hours to finish. Why? Cause that type of truly good length/quality game have always been far between. It kept you going till the next one came out. It's not like that anymore.

And people are asking for that. Hey, it's cool. For 50$ (probaly mom and dads money) I don't care. As long as the shadows move right.

What a shame. 9 hours of game play while they spend 12 hours watching shadows on the wall move.

Believe me when I say. A bag of weed cost about as much, lasts a lot longer and really is A LOT more fun watching the shadows on the wall.

tealsmith
23rd Feb 2004, 00:48
My favourite game, MGS2, can be beaten in an hour if you hurry through everything.

But for Thief I'd like it to at least range within the 25-30 hour area. That's perfect for me.

Thiefinthenight
23rd Feb 2004, 02:17
Sounds like the levels are gonna be huge. They say they want to stay true to the original by making a million ways you can complete your missions.

I undertsand that your going to be able to edit alot more of the difficulty settings. You can still play the most difficult setting but be able to kill as many people as you like.

Acorn
23rd Feb 2004, 05:23
I want to be playing thief III for several days maybe a fortnight before I win.
I want to be considering buying the game book, many different times on different levels because its so hard to beat.

Squid
23rd Feb 2004, 06:10
The developers have stated that the game contains 12 levels and the city area. They have said each level should take about 2 hours to complete. That's 24 hours, and then add in a freeform city that you can wander around to your heart's content. Let's say you do 6 hours of wandering. That's 30 hours.

Thief 1 & 2 both had 12 levels. Average time to complete? 2 hours apiece, on average. (The Bank from T2 usually took a player 4 hours or so, due to size and complexity.) So, T3 is in line with the previous two games in terms of level legnth. Add in the freeform city, and you have the potential for a lot longer playtime.

On, in case anyone is curious, I believe the record to complete Bafford's was 51 seconds. Yes, Seconds.

Squid

Optik45
23rd Feb 2004, 17:01
I was looking back at my old saved Statistics from Thief 1 and 2 and My Ending game time was only 12-15 hours. This doesnt seem like much but the game did take a while to beat, most of the time that isnt recorded at the end of the game is spent messing up and reloaded and messing up and reloaded. But I do really hope Thief 3 is a long game, all the good games released lately have been way to short lived, The last game I played that took me over 12 hours to beat is Elderscrolls 3: Morrowind, and infact Ive been playing that for over 6 months and still havent seen and done everything.