PDA

View Full Version : Possible to mod the camera? (*rant*)

Narog
12th Feb 2004, 19:43
I just installed Defiance and immediately upon starting the game I was struck by the fact that this game has fixed views! I mean, come on... If I wanted to get frustrated by annoying camera angles I would have bought Resident Evil or some other console port with equally horrendous controls.
What were the developers thinking?

The controls and camera in the first Soul Reaver were fine albeit the lack of mouse support.
Soul Reaver 2 had mouse support but the controls were still so poorly done the game only was on the hard drive for 20 minutes (OK, I admit the uninterruptable cutscenes might also have played a part in me uninstalling that game, but the controls still stunk).
Now Defiance takes the camera demise to a completely new level. Even more down the drain than SR2...

I've read some posts on this board regarding this problem with the controls and come to the conclusion that it probably will stay this way. Therefore I want to know if it's possible to mod the views by yourself. Maybe if making the viewpoint follow the player like in Soul Reaver can't be accomplished then at least maybe it would be possible to enable the controls (move, attack etc) while in first person mouselook mode?

If it's not possible to do this and if the controls does not improve in a (very) urgent patch I will have no problems returning the game to the shop. I'll just install SR1 again to play a LOK game that has not been contaminated by console influences...

Reaper007
12th Feb 2004, 20:03
Sorry to inform you but the camera can't be changed in a patch. This was the first thing Chris told us in the Possible Patch Thread. And a unofficial, unsupported patch has been released, just look at the top of the Defiance forum.

I can understand how annoying it is playing with that camera and a keyboard. Thats why I bought a PS2 controller and a adapter for my PC. It's been my experience that a gamepad is best used with fixed camera games. I would suggest you try out a gamepad before returning the game, it should make the camera easier to deal with.

Reaper007

Narog
12th Feb 2004, 20:22
Ok, thanks for the info.
I refuse to go out and buy a controller just to make my computer more like a console though. I have a PC for a reason; I want to play PC games, not console games.

Oh well...
/me pats Defiance box.
Back to the store with you little fella.
Hopefully Soul Reaver will be as good as the last time I played it...

van_HellSing PL
12th Feb 2004, 20:43
Now don't you return the game to the store there, man! It's possible to play the game using keboard only, and I'm the best example. Finished all of Defiance on keyboard. The camera can get annoying at times, I also didn't like it at first, but now I feel it's quite good!

Lär
12th Feb 2004, 20:50
How do you have your keyboard configured?? I'm playing through for a third time, with just keyboard controls. I found that if I leave movement keys at WASD, and configure all of the "action" keys (jump, lift attack, action, etc.) to the numpad, that I can play far batter than I thought I could. The ability to to use ALL of your fingers, instead of just thumbs and forefinger, makes for a better control scheme, IMO. Word of warning: forget about the mouse, it's useless. ;)

Oh, I played through the first and second time with a gamepad, and did pretty good with it as well. However, the camera still needs some work. :cool:

BTW, here is the keyboard configuration that I am currently using:
Page 1 (http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/fixer/images/def_keybconfig1.jpg), Page 2 (http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/fixer/images/def_keybconfig2.jpg), Page 3 (http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/fixer/images/def_keybconfig3.jpg)

Later! :D

van_HellSing PL
12th Feb 2004, 20:54
Well, I have the keyboard set to approximately match the default settings for SR1. I also don't use the mouse at all.

Narog
13th Feb 2004, 14:19
After reading you assurances that the game is playable using only the keyboard I actually gave it a chance. However, when I realized the fixed camera angles only were in the game to make it harder for the player to discover artifacts and threats (in some places they've even disabled the use of first person view to make things even harder to spot...) I decided enough was enough.

The developers have seriously taken the wrong approach on this one and by not listening to the players and fixing this problem with a patch they have made matters even worse.
Hopefully they won't screw up this badly in a possible sequel to Defiance but until then I'll play Soul Reaver if I want a Legacy of Kain game. As for Defiance.. It goes right back to the store.

van_HellSing PL
13th Feb 2004, 14:24
Well, suit yourself :p

Just know that you're missing out on a GREAT game!

Reaper007
13th Feb 2004, 15:19
Originally posted by Narog
by not listening to the players and fixing this problem with a patch they have made matters even worse. You must of already forgot what Chris said. The camera can't be fixed with a patch (It's most likely tied directly to the game engine - edit one, you edit the other), just thought I should remind you.

Reaper007

Zephon
14th Feb 2004, 11:20
just use SR1 controls, i found the angle fine, when scanning us TK scope

blincoln
14th Feb 2004, 11:23
If you read some of the other threads on this subject, you'll see that it's been pretty much discussed to death.

The reason you can't switch the camera is because the game is unplayable with one like SR uses. The Defiance cam is designed to give you subtle hints as to where you're supposed to go, and lets you see enemies and areas you wouldn't notice otherwise.

There are codes on my site to switch the cam for the PS2 version, and it's essentially impossible to finish the first level using it, because you can't see enemies that are attacking you, can't see where you're supposed to go, etc.