PDA

View Full Version : PAL 60 mode????

fneh
8th Feb 2004, 19:49
Does the PAL version have a 60Hz mode? Or at least a fullscreen mode?

If the latter, is there any slowdown or was it converted to PAL well?

Jurjen
8th Feb 2004, 21:58
The Xbox version supports PAL60, I'm not sure if the PS2 does, it probably doesn't. Also, at 50hz, both the PS2 and Xbox versions should run in fullscreen, and without any slowdown.

- Jurjen

Raptor666
9th Feb 2004, 00:24
I don't recall seeing any options for graphics in the PS2 version bar the usual screen adjust, although it does indeed run in fullscreen. The game more or less appears to be converted into PAL, both screensize and framerates. The movies in the game may still be in NTSC though, but that's minor even if i'm right about that.

Think there may have been the odd slowdown in the game at certain moments but nothing conversion related, just the hardware being pushed to its limits.

fneh
10th Feb 2004, 22:54
Originally posted by Raptor666
I don't recall seeing any options for graphics in the PS2 version bar the usual screen adjust, although it does indeed run in fullscreen. The game more or less appears to be converted into PAL, both screensize and framerates. The movies in the game may still be in NTSC though, but that's minor even if i'm right about that.

Think there may have been the odd slowdown in the game at certain moments but nothing conversion related, just the hardware being pushed to its limits.

there's no slowdown on my USA version.
Sounds like another quality PAL conversion
:rolleyes:

Is there anyone that can confirm or deny the PAL PS2 version runs on 50Hz at the same speed as the NTSC version?

Raptor666
11th Feb 2004, 00:41
Although I can't say firsthand as I don't have an NTSC version, I do have an Xploder V4 so I tried out the Game Accelerator on it.

Upon closer inspection I did notice the game appears to be in NTSC screensize. I say that as although the game runs in fullscreen, certain distinguishable characteristics of NTSC are noticeable, such as on the help tips during the game, the icon for the square button is more rectangular, as opposed to when I used the GA where they are even.

If so, then I would hazard a guess that the actual game screen area is increased, as opposed to stretching the image out. If so, this would maybe explain the certain slowdowns at more intense moments that you say don't appear in the NTSC version at all (I have noticed on the PS2 version that there is immense slowdown at the end of the game when Raziel is being rotated around while the camera is looking up at him, figure the spectral effect combined with the wide angle chugs it down).

I don't think the actual framerate appears to be slower however, although I haven't given it a proper go yet. I don't see enough difference to matter though.

EDIT: after checking the videos from the game before release i've just noticed the shots of the help tips don't seem even on those either, so the game may just be like that everywhere for all I know >_<. But eitherway I can't tell any 50/60hz framerate difference whether the game is stretched or has a wider shot.

fneh
11th Feb 2004, 13:40
the reason your game acellerator make the picture taller is because the extra 100 lines will have been filled for the pal release. That's good news, it means the PAL version is higher res :D

I might buy the UK one when it drops to £20. I don't even play my USA version much at all so I'm not going to buy it AGAIN until it's cheaper (I only want the UK version so I can use the debug menu as playing a USA game on a UK console means I can't use my Action replay :()

Vampmaster
12th Feb 2004, 00:27
I've been hacking cheat codes all evening. I could see what I can do for a PAL 60 Hz. I think someone did the opposite to this for the NTSC version, so maybe I could turn it the other way. But I'm tired now.