PDA

View Full Version : "failed to initialize direct3d" message appears when trying to launch LoKD

Jon22
8th Feb 2004, 19:05
Hi! I've got a Compaq Pressario 2572ea notebook with an integrated ati radeon igp 345m graphics card, with 64 MB of memory. When I try to launch LoK: Defiance, I first get a blank screen and then the message: "failed to initialize direct3d with current settings". I've tried to change the settings, but no combination will work. Is this because my graphics card doesn't support TnL or something, or do I need to do something else?:confused:

van_HellSing PL
8th Feb 2004, 19:17
Do you have directx 9 installed? Besides, notebooks aren't made for gaming :rolleyes:...

CyCro
8th Feb 2004, 21:11
The non-TnL card would be the main problem here. It's explicitly stated that the minimum requirements include such a card, since there's no software renderer provided.

Jon22
10th Feb 2004, 09:01
Well, after a lot of search on the web, I found and downloaded the latest drivers for my graphics card. It turns out that the older ones that I had weren't DirectX 9.0-compatible. The game now runs fine, though a little slow at some points. Thanks for answering.

silverwolfone
29th Nov 2008, 07:12
Im trying to play the game tomb raider underwold
I get this message.
Failed to intialize Direct3D with current settings.
I have a hp pavilion wth this set up.
amd sempron (tm)processer
3000+
1.81Ghz 384 MB RAm

do I need a graphics card?

blincoln
2nd Dec 2008, 17:57
You're better off asking in the TR: Underworld forum, but I suspect the reason is the same as discussed above - your PC probably doesn't have a graphics card capable of running the game.

If you go to your Start menu, click on Run, enter "dxdiag" and click OK, that will bring up the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Click on the Display tab and it will tell you about your graphics subsystem. What does it say for the Chip Type?