PDA

View Full Version : Excuse me Eidos, but aren't we forgetting something...? (bonus material)

Raz
7th Feb 2004, 12:44
I finished Defiance yesterday and I was looking forward to watching the outtakes and the recording session videos, only to find that there are none. Nothing. I have the PS2 version, and all I've received are the production images and 3D rendered models of both characters and environments. :(

If anyone in Europe has either the PC or XBox version, could you be so kind as to let me know whether or not they have the bonus videos? :p

It shouldn't come as a surprise to me, but it looks as though European gamers have received the short end of the stick once again... all for additional languages! :o

anuk
7th Feb 2004, 18:23
I just completed Defiance on the PS2 (PAL version) and at the end it says 'save now to get all bonuses' so I save and expect loads, but all I get are all the arcane tomes and the making of Defiance! I thought the out-takes were in this version, or is it me mistaken? I was really hoping for some good extras like a voice session or the out-takes.:(

Raz
7th Feb 2004, 18:40
I asked exactly the same thing a few threads down (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33165), and no one's replied yet. The game was only released yesterday, so I guess that Euro gamers are still playing through... I managed to get the game early (I work in a videogame store) and so there's a lack of other Euro gamers to talk to about LoK Defiance. :p

To be honest, it looks as though Europe's been left out once again in favour of multiple languages. I don't think we'll see those videos... :(

WraithStar
7th Feb 2004, 19:11
Hey, it was left out on the PC version too, so you're not alone:(

Jeffers
7th Feb 2004, 19:38
Well I finished the game, and looking at it, I have images from Raziel's Bonus items, Images from Kain's bonus items and then a defiance section which has simulated environments of certain sections and pictures of the team.

I haven't finished looking through this section yet though, so don't know what bonus material the US has which Europe doesn't.

I have the PS2 version by the way.

Jeffers

blincoln
7th Feb 2004, 19:42
Maybe you should start campaigning for all of the European Union to speak English =P.

I think that from a broad marketing perspective, multiple languages are more likely to sell copies of the game than the bonus material.

VoRaDoR
7th Feb 2004, 20:26
I have the European PC version of Legacy of Kain - Defiance.

The extras or the bonus materials on the game are good enough. I'm sure if the game was on a DVD disk we would have more extras on it. The Dark Chronicles are good enough for me :rolleyes:

Now some of you have the PS2 version of the game and some of you have the Xbox version of the game. You may have more extras than the PC version but, do not forget :) with PC's you can create your own screenshots as well and place it on your desktop as a wallpaper.

Anyway, great game I enjoyed it I'm sure you did as well....

Raz
7th Feb 2004, 21:12
I know where you're coming from blincoln, but it's a tad frustrating when Europe (notice I say Europe, not the UK) misses out. This isn't solely about the LoK series, might I add...

As I mentioned, I was not complaining because English was not the sole language provided, rather that European gamers missed out, yet again. I appreciate that it is impractical to release a title solely in English. It would not be fair. I certainly prefer watching a movie in my language rather than a subtitled movie. The same applies here, I'm sure...

I also appreciate that bonus materials are exactly what they are; a bonus. As you mentioned, it is indeed features other than additional extras which sell games, and I want the LoK series to sell as many copies as possible, as I'm sure you do.

I hope I've not been misunderstood. :p

Dark_Child
7th Feb 2004, 21:47
When i finished the game today (pal), i was really shocked, because I have also played the US-Version. In the pal-Version they cut all the bonusmaterial (the good one) away. :mad:

What a luck that I have imported the Us-Version before.:cool:

Jeffers
7th Feb 2004, 22:29
Well seeing that certain bonus material has been cut, I am slightly disappointed about that. Especially after the wait we have had.

But I understand that it needs to be in multiple languages. What would be nice though is if Eidos were to put the material up somewhere, where us European gamers could download it. *hint hint* ;)

Jeffers

Umah Bloodomen
8th Feb 2004, 00:45
I merged the other thread where the same inquiry was made with this thread. There's no sense having two of the same issues floating around. ;)

garbagefanuk
8th Feb 2004, 01:56
I was looking forward to them too. I kept looking at the tombs i got to see if any of that stuff would be in. But no such luck :(

Jeffers
8th Feb 2004, 16:33
I finished going through the making of defiance section also and there is no out takes in that either. The only thing to do with voices is images of the actors who did them

Jeffers

van_HellSing PL
8th Feb 2004, 17:05
This baffles me... I thought only the PC version is missing those movies :confused:. Someone there just screwed up bad :mad:.

Eidos - WHAT ARE YOU GUYS THINKING?!!! First the DX:IW fiasco, and now this...

danyata
8th Feb 2004, 18:26
You people are not the only ones annoyed by this. Bonus materials were one of my sole reasons for buying the game - after all, I had previously read the transcript for the entire game on another site.

I'm sorry, but making us wait an extra 3 months for an INFERIOR version is ..... appalling. And you know what really frustrates me enough to type up an angry post? The mere fact that it probably isn't going to change anything.

After all that hassle over the 28th November release date, that had SO much disappointment when everyone realised that they were going to have to wait despite their anger and annoyance - only to spend a 16 hour binge on the ps2 to unlock a BUNCH. OF. PICTURES.

Oh My God. You people could of at least made it worth our wait.

Raz
8th Feb 2004, 18:37
No offence, but I would've thought that the main reason to buy Defiance was to enjoy the game itself, not the provided bonus materials. ;)

I, for one, did not play through Defiance in order to receive bonus materials. Instead, I played it for the captivating story of the LoK series... :p

Oh, by the way, Europe did not receive an inferior version of Defiance. Bonus materials are exactly what are; a bonus. If we were to receive no bonus material at all, I personally would not consider the game to be inferior. I bought Defiance for the LoK experience... :o

danyata
8th Feb 2004, 18:45
No offence, but I would've thought that the main reason to buy Defiance was to enjoy the game itself, not the provided bonus materials.

Indeed Raz, but, as I said, I'd already read through the transcript already so I only really had a few reasons to play through:

1. Bonus Materials.
2. To drool over Janos (not enough fanservice :P tee hee ^^)
3. To see all the new stuff including. Warp Gates, Reaver forges etc.
4. To generally kill stuff :rolleyes: .... Kingdom Hearts was kinda lacking in the whole blood factor :D

fneh
8th Feb 2004, 19:42
I'm suddenly glad I imported in November!

lol. First you're forced to wait an extra 3 months and then you don't even get all the bonus material after being patient!
:p
Talk about kicking you when you're down eh?

In all honestly the bonus material isn't particularly exciting anyway. I'd be angry it was cut but for what it's worth (comiong from someone that has the extra material), it's not very good anyway. Whil ethere is a lot of extra stuff and some pretty funny outtakes and such, it's not really important at all.

So, yet again we loose out in Europe, but the extra languages will probably be more fun anyway. I always loved playing SR2 in french because everyone sound so funny!:D

You're not missing that much. If anyone wanted I'd probably be willing to trade my extras packed version for the UK version just because I prefer the UK version's box art.

LOK kain is the greatest
8th Feb 2004, 20:12
i was really looking forward to the outakes after loving the SR2 one's. The Game is absolutly brill, but i would still have liked to see them. you watch Eidos will prob release a special addition on. with it all back in. would have thought the X-box would have it all as seen as it can hold more. (i have PS2 version so wouldn't know about x-box)

Please could you put the outakes somewhere where we can download or put it on a disc. i would really like to see them.

fneh
8th Feb 2004, 20:57
How could an Xbox dvd hole more than a Ps2 DVD......they both have the exact same capacity surely. They're just a normal DVD. Only the Gamecube has different a different medium (that can't hold as much) and there isn't a GC version at all.

LOK kain is the greatest
9th Feb 2004, 01:49
yeah Fneh is right.. i was having a blond moment

Caer-caveral
9th Feb 2004, 13:06
I think it's reasonable to give us some downloadable stuff. But then they would probably start complaining about their bandwith usage going through the roof :rolleyes:

What irks me is that multiple languages for games always messes up the european releases. It always comes out much later because of it, and in some of the worse cases, things have been cut (japanese language selection for Shinobi, to name an example outside of LoK). A few cases has been observed of developers throwing in extras to compensate. MGS2 and FFX came with a bonus disc containing all kinds of extra stuff, very reminiscent of the stuff that's conspiciously missing in my copy of Defiance.

I for one hate dubbing with a passion. Everything is always better in the original language. And I'm not saying this because I live in England and get everything served on a plate with english as the default. The reason being I live in Sweden and pretty much nothing at all ever comes out in Swedish. I'm grateful for living in a country where I won't have to deal with any dubbing into the local language, because no one cares about Sweden enough to bother with making extra effort for us. Thanks to this, we are pretty much all very proficient in English and do not need anyone to come throwing lousy dubbing in our faces.
Why should all those countries with a big population get so much special attention anyway?

As Crowley said to the demons of the pit: "Learn Guys!"

Umah Bloodomen
9th Feb 2004, 18:30
Please keep the inflammatory social commentary and language elitism off the boards. Thanks. :)

Raptor666
9th Feb 2004, 18:47
Although I am somewhat irritated of losing out on extras just to have languages i'll never use, it's not as bad as some conversions, which while im at it...

Originally posted by Caer-caveral
A few cases has been observed of developers throwing in extras to compensate. MGS2 and FFX came with a bonus disc containing all kinds of extra stuff, very reminiscent of the stuff that's conspiciously missing in my copy of Defiance.

Don't even get me started on Final Fantasy X. Not even remotely converted properly, spent all that time faffing around with things like those Dark Aeons that it seemed to slip their minds of actually converting the game itself in almost ANY way. Game speed is almost 20% slower (You'd think the whole game was underwater with how fast Tidus moves, nevermind the blitzball games), the screen is squashed like hell and the lipsynch doesnt work properly (although that last one might be the same in NTSC for all I know). Furthermore, the platinum version has the extra disc taken out as well, how nice.

After all that I don't think I even care about the videos now, i'm just grateful Crystal Dynamics actually converted the game properly :D.

HolyMoses
9th Feb 2004, 20:33
I'd hate to burst your bubble, but here in the states there were plenty of voice session outtakes, as well as voice script taping. That's so odd that you guys didn't get any. I'd feel cheated if I were you.

Chris@Crystal
9th Feb 2004, 21:18
Hi there,
No, the out-takes are not on any of the European versions of the game. They would not fit on the disc due to the multiple languages that had to be included. I am sorry if the out-takes were the only reason that you purchased the game. I will look into getting the out-takes put up somewhere, but I can not make any promises. We did put as many extras that would fit on teh disc, and the out-takes are only in English, not the other languages.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

Raz
9th Feb 2004, 21:22
Well, I, for one, did not buy Defiance solely for bonus material. It's a shame that we missed out on some, but I bought Defiance for Defiance! ;)

It's great that you'll look into having the materials hosted somewhere Chris. Thanks! :)

van_HellSing PL
9th Feb 2004, 21:25
Chris - if you do manage to put those movies somewhere, I think I'll put up a Butterfly Lord shrine in my room :)

WraithStar
9th Feb 2004, 22:52
Awesome! These outtakes would be available to everyone, right? I've got the US PC version, which doesn't have them either, and I'd love to see them. Thank you very much :D .

Caer-caveral
9th Feb 2004, 23:34
If you do this for us Chris, you truly are the king of kings! =D

And I don't think anyone bought this game just for the bonuses. I mean, that would be stupid. However, there are probably alot of people (like me) who really, really wanted to see them.

And to Raptor, I'd just like to say that I'd rather take the worst coversion imaginable over not having the advanced version of the sphere grid. That is what made the game fun.

LOKFan
10th Feb 2004, 06:49
Wow, that would be so cool if you managed to do that for us, Chris!

When I looked at the Bonus Materials, I thought there were surprisingly little and when I came on these boards I realised that alot had been cut out.

ali_turk
10th Feb 2004, 12:40
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!:mad: :mad: i have no outtakes noooooooooooooooooo i am a PAL player!:mad:

ali_turk
10th Feb 2004, 14:13
hey guys if Chris put the outtakes somewhere howe can we view it? i want to sea Micheal Bell and Simon Tempelman!!!!!

i think it callt ; The behind the scene's..

Dark Goddess
10th Feb 2004, 15:53
I would have liked to have seen the outtakes, but I'm just happy that I've finally got the game.

and the out-takes are only in English, not the other languages.
but the outtakes were in english in Soul Reaver 2, so how would that matter?
well...no point complaining, at least I have Defiance:D

MortaniusRaisedGrandma
10th Feb 2004, 20:22
Hey, Don't rub it in Moses.
I was looking forward to more character art as well as one of those time lines like in SR 2:mad:

Enihcam
10th Feb 2004, 21:12
There's outtakes in SR2? I don't think I ever saw them. I'm gonna pop my disc in right now :D

danyata
10th Feb 2004, 21:34
Ahhh, I would be very grateful if the bonus materials that we missed would be put up somewhere :)

Tes
11th Feb 2004, 17:16
Devil N of the NR forum put the outtakes up here.

http://users.lichtsnel.nl/~nldp/defiance/

Have fun;)

Solin
11th Feb 2004, 21:42
Why won't amy henning put herself on the bonus materials like a picture did she write the story if so why is she not on there?

DJpick
12th Feb 2004, 02:37
Wow, I wouldn't have minded playing with multiple langauges and using the spanish I had to take for two years, but I didn't even get that, let alone the bonus features.

But like they say, these games weren't made so people coul dbuy the outtakes. They were made for the game and the story, I'm sure someone will get bored and record them for ANYONE to download. But until then, enjoy the newest chapter to the story. That's what i did.

Amy prefers to not be shown because she doesn't want to get harassed by fans in the street.

Why is it a couple months ago everyoine was itching for this game. And once it came out, EVERYWHERE, everyone has done nothing but complain. You guys talk about wanting another game after Defiance, but keep pointing out why you didn't like it or what's wrong with it, and there won't BE another game.

Reidbynature
12th Feb 2004, 16:16
I feel a little insulted if people are suggesting that all we wanted Defiance for was the bonuses. Of course not. I love the game. It's just that we see the bonuses as the icing on the cake. We just feel let down.

I mean the concept art is cool and all but quite a lot of us have seen most of them already. Would it have been too costly to have made a bonus disc? Also it does seem as if we had more on SR2 than we had on Defiance. Although I can understand if the game itself had taken up the space needed.

Also one other thing. It bugs me that I have to load up the memory every time I want to watch a scene. Why couldn't it let me go through the entire scene menu without having to continuely load?

Chris@Crystal
12th Feb 2004, 17:33
Here is the place to check out for the outtakes:
http://users.lichtsnel.nl/~nldp/defiance/
Thanks to Devil N!
~Chris

DJpick
12th Feb 2004, 19:28
See, just like SR2 someone will put this stuff up for you, so not only do you get the langauages, you get the bonus features.

I dont' even have the languages :(

Thanks Chris :)

Jeffers
13th Feb 2004, 15:28
Thankyou soooo much for this Chris and Devil N!

It is very much appreciated. :D

Jeffers

Raz
13th Feb 2004, 16:33
Thankyou very much Chris, and thanks Devil N for making the outtakes available for download! ;)

DJpick
13th Feb 2004, 19:18
Is it just me? Or are some of the recent ones a little skippy? They jitter real bad for some reason. I wasn't sure if it was me or not cause the first ones were beautiful.

Thanks all the same :)

Devil N
13th Feb 2004, 19:57
Try pressing the stop button and then play again. The codec acts a bit funky now and then here too, and just starting the movie again helps in my case.

I'm not really sure if I'm happy with the latest XviD release, the version I had installed earlier didn't have these problems. I'll see if I can find a more substantial fix for these problems later (I'm not home this weekend, so it's a little hard for me to experiment).

Also, try downloading and installing the K-Lite codec pack from here:
http://c2.edskes.com/klcodec220f.exe
That seemed to help for certain other people (probably because it has an older version of the XviD codec, but that's just my guess).

DJpick
13th Feb 2004, 20:02
Hey thanks :) Yeah, my XViD codec is from like a year ago when I downloaded the Samurai Jack episodes :)

Plus I'm using Winamp 5 as my video player now, it seems to play better (with a slight slow lag when the file is opened) but it's pretty versatile :)

Thanks Devil, I will try that.

LOK kain is the greatest
14th Feb 2004, 00:01
thanks Chris and Devil n. you guys are the best.:D

Smoke_Z
4th Jan 2005, 02:07
Does anyone have the bonus movies to mirror on their site? I can't seem to be able to get it.

(I have this paranoid feeling that my PS2 is getting ready to do something undesirable, and my PC version doesn't have anything I can use with my pitiful machine.)

DJpick
4th Jan 2005, 02:11
I have them somewhere, don't know where. You mean the site won't work for you?

rabban
4th Jan 2005, 06:15
as i recall someone did have the voice sessions online for downloading sr2 and lokd outtakes as well.

you should not feel too left out since the outtakes they showed are probably tiny in comparison to the amount of stuff they could have added on an entire DVD!!!...ehh...sarcasm never comes out good when it's typed.

babifrence
4th Jan 2005, 06:18
Hiya Peeps,

Yeah, the site seems to have been taken down or the server is playing up - either way its not there. I was quite looking forward to the updates. Several months ago I burnt the entire site to disc. I dont mind posting them up on a site but these files are considerably large. I only downloaded the best quality FMV's as well as the transcript for them and the html that actually showed and described what was what.

Please note I did not download the MP3 transcript or lower quality MPEGS as we all want brilliant quality at the end of the day ;).

If anyone is happy to put these files up on their server I will happily upload them for the benefit of the LoK community :).

PEACE OUT !!!

EDIT: I had a look at how much the data takes up and it appears that the Defiance stuff takes up 126MB APPROX and the SR2 stuff takes up 212MB APPROX which evaluates to 338MB.

PS I would like to thank Karl Wagner aka Wrath of the Reaver and Nico de Poel aka Devil N for making these out takes possible and to Chris Bruno who is a great Eidos/CD employee that aims to please the LoK comunity to the best of his ability by listening to the voice of the fans and making things happen.

rabban
4th Jan 2005, 08:12
god I type slow!

DJpick
4th Jan 2005, 08:41
As far as I know, ALLthe outtakes and scenes were ont he site. None were left out (although some were jittery, but I think it was a problem with the codec, or encoding, not sure).

babifrence
4th Jan 2005, 09:08
Hiya Peeps,

Have to say, I never had a codec issue or playback for that matter. If indeed anyone has an XVID issue I do recommend Koepi's Media Development Homepage for a really good copy of the codec. Its regularly updated with fixes and is by far one of the most popular choices.

What most people dont know is that the actual source code for XVID is freeware, the people who compile it and correct any flaws become custom made to the finatic. Koepi happens to one of them. There are many more which is why you can get the same versions but made by other people.

Click on the following link to get straight to the download page http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml. Dont be confused, if you read the page carefully you will know where to click. I got baffled myself when I first accessed the site, and the great thing is Koepi him/her self actually posts on the forum quite regularly.

Hope that helps :)

PEACE OUT !!!

Devil N
9th Jan 2005, 09:33
In case nobody noticed, the server has been up again for a couple of days. It's still a bit flaky, but at least it works. The guy who hosts the webserver is having hardware problems, but it's being worked on.

aquarius_varun
13th Apr 2006, 16:14
is the "making of defiance" unlocked automatically at the end of the game?

I think I have the US version. (I bought mine on ebay...so I am not sure which version it is). Is the red box art US version??

babifrence
13th Apr 2006, 17:16
Hiya Peeps,

From what I understand, the US always have "old skool" big box versions. Here in the UK and for most if not all of Europe - we have DVD case style games.

One more thing to look out for is this, the US version is not only unpatched, but it always says on the back of the box "Not to be sold outstide North America" or is it South America? Either way it should say something along those lines :p.

Hope that helps :)

PEACE OUT !!!

PS I forgot to add, this is for PC based versions of Defiance, not consoles ;).

aquarius_varun
14th Apr 2006, 05:26
thanx bud. I think mine is the US version then. :)