PDA

View Full Version : Sales Figures

JustAnotherGeek
6th Feb 2004, 12:56
Has anyone seen how the sales for the PC version are faring?

Centurion
6th Feb 2004, 13:12
It might still be too early to see how well its selling (PAL versions only got released..today!!)

~Cent~

blincoln
6th Feb 2004, 19:16
Specific sales figures are not generally released to the public. You'll probably have to wait until the Q1 and possibly Q2 2004 financial statements are released, although those usually only have broad figures (e.g. "more than 500,000 copies.")

Lär
6th Feb 2004, 22:06
Buy Eidos stock (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=EIDSY)! You can get specific sells figures then.

Ya know, I've been wondering this myself. CD has been saying that the PC version will lose money. Prove it! If Defiance was concurrently released on all platforms , wordwide, I'd bet dollars to donuts that the PC version would have blown the console versions away.

Later! :D

KaliMagdalene
6th Feb 2004, 22:21
Why do you think the PC version would outsell the console versions?

silenced
6th Feb 2004, 23:13
I don't think the pc version will get good reviews

This game unfortunatly has been created for a console, and the new camera angles makes the game Very hard to play as you fight the controls though the game

WraithStar
7th Feb 2004, 00:33
I don't know about that. I played it on PC with keyboard + mouse, and it got to the point where I wanted the character to do something and he did it without me even consciously choosing which buttons to press. It really wasn't that bad on PC. I found it to be quite enjoyable. I really hope that Crystal and Eidos make the next one for PC also.

Lär
7th Feb 2004, 02:19
Originally posted by KaliMagdalene
Why do you think the PC version would outsell the console versions?

Better graphics, sound, smoothness of game, etc.

Now, if you're a hardcore fanboy or fangirl, then the console versions are the way to go. You'll find all sorts of fluffy little extras that make the diehard fans drool with delight. :rolleyes:

blincoln
7th Feb 2004, 04:10
Platformer games are just not selling well on the PC in the US, sadly. It's not just Defiance.

I do think it will do well on the PC in Europe (especially Germany), though. I have a copy of the special German edition on its way to me that looks neat. I guess Germans tend to buy the series on PC much more than other nationalities =).

DJpick
7th Feb 2004, 06:29
I played the PC version, and it didn't give me anymore trouble than the PS2 version. SO I honestly don't know where all the complaints about the controls are coming from. I had my share of problems with the PS2 version. And even if the PC version is harder to control, the only part I had trouble with was...

Voradors Courtyard

Even Chapter 2 with Raziel wasn't even hard, even though it took me FOREVER on the PS2.

KaliMagdalene
7th Feb 2004, 09:46
Originally posted by Lär
Better graphics, sound, smoothness of game, etc.

So what you're saying is that sales figures are driven by a (perceived as) rational assessment of the features on the PC vs. features on the various consoles, and that the only features that a (perceived as) rational person would consider are those that relate to graphics, sound, and smoothness of play?

Now, if you're a hardcore fanboy or fangirl, then the console versions are the way to go. You'll find all sorts of fluffy little extras that make the diehard fans drool with delight. :rolleyes:

I admit that I enjoyed the extras - especially the outtakes - on the XBox version. However, that's not what convinced me to try it on the console instead of the PC. What convinced me of that has been a relatively negative experience with platformers and console ports in general on the PC. Also, I could rent LoK:D at Blockbuster for the XBox, but not the PC. Since I didn't have the cash to spare to purchase the game, rental was the way to go.

Of course, the cash went to purchase Halo and Mechassault, but there you go.

I suspect that console versions outsell their PC counterparts as a general rule. I suspect that this is partly because console gaming is more casual than PC gaming, but also because more people own consoles. Games like LoK:D, traditional console fare, sell even better on consoles and perhaps not so well on PC.

So, why would it sell better on PC with a simultaneous release?

DJpick
7th Feb 2004, 09:49
So, why would it sell better on PC with a simultaneous release
Most PC ports come s few months after the console release, or later in some cases. So the console has had time to sell, and the console will then catch the people who say "I don't feel like waiting". So by the time the PC release is out, most people have played it and moved on to the next great game.

Lär
7th Feb 2004, 15:17
Originally posted by blincoln
Platformer games are just not selling well on the PC in the US, sadly. It's not just Defiance.

The reason why console games "appear' to outsale PC games, is choice. New console games are released at an alarming rate, compared to PC games. Rental outlets are also a major player in console game sales.

A lot of peeps have compared Defiance to Prince of Persia - The Sands of Time. They are both story driven, puzzle solving, action adventure games. A poll is being conducted, on the PoP website, and asks this question: "On what system will you play Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time™?" Click here to view the results so far. (http://www.princeofpersiagame.com/pop_poll_results.php?poll=525) Surprisingly, it appears that more folks would play the PC version over anything else!! Unlike Defiance, PoP-SoT was simultaneously released on all platforms and scan formats. If our beloved Nosgothic tale was released in the same manner, and included all extras, on all platforms, I think it would be tough to call the platform sales winner.

Historically, all of the LoK games were released on console first, then PC shortly thereafter. The Legacy of Kain series is a niche game, preferred more by it's hardcore fan base than the general gamer. With this in mind, it is unfair to say that the console versions will always outsale the PC.

Dad
7th Feb 2004, 17:54
Don't forget about the rental$ of console game$.

I just started Defiance on the pc and it's controls are ok. sometimes I don't like the camera angles but I do like the joining
of the sr engine.
Kain waving his fingers is cool too.

:D

ParadoxFiend
8th Feb 2004, 08:26
I'm sorry but I don't think console platforms can touch a good PC's performance. What can a TV get 60 fps... Clippy clippy clippy. I gave up consoles a long time ago. But, what of this extra stuff you're referring too?

PF

DJpick
8th Feb 2004, 08:43
But, what of this extra stuff you're referring too?
Outtakes and Recording videos of ALL the characters from Defiance. AtLEAST an hour or hour and a half of videos, that don't fit in the PC cds.

DarkWraith
8th Feb 2004, 09:53
Originally posted by ParadoxFiend
What can a TV get 60 fps... Clippy clippy clippy.

Ah but I'm not using just any TV. I have the good fortune to be able to use my new Big screen plasma TV. Its got a 32 inch screen. Sorry i love my TV.

DW