PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILER] Raziel's basic abilities

Jeffers
5th Feb 2004, 22:31
Probably been mentioned, but since I just got it I am not wading through pages and pages of threads and I know that is wrong of me but do what you will. :)

Anyway on to what I was going to say, don't know whether it requires spoilers or not, but better be kind since I got it early.

Since when could Raziel climb walls in the spectral realm? That has kept me stuck in lots of areas while I've been playing it today because I keep forgetting it is possible but never mind.

And whats so terrible about the camera? I don't see much wrong with it personally.

A job well done CD, still a shame about the wait though.

Jeffers

HolyMoses
5th Feb 2004, 22:35
Later you find out that he can also carry items through the spectral realm. Who says you can't take it with you?

Dogfight
5th Feb 2004, 22:39
It could be with Raziel now having back his free will, and thereby being free of the Elder's control his powers have grown. Possibly Raziel was limited in his powers in Soul Reaver 1 and 2 due to the Elder's influence, but is no longer. This is why he can now carry items with him, and climb walls in the Spectral Realm.

Jeffers
5th Feb 2004, 22:47
It was specifically said in SR1 though that the walls you could climb wern't climable in the spectral realm because they were only shadows, or something similar.

Been a while since I played SR1 so can't remember exactly. Unless I am just going completly mad.

Jeffers

Mecchiah the White
5th Feb 2004, 22:51
From Soul Reaver:

Elder God:
"Consuming Zephon’s apostate soul has bestowed on you a new gift. Like his vampire spawn, you are able to scale certain walls which are otherwise impassable - but only in the physical realm. In the spirit world, these insubstantial edifices will not support you."

warpsavant
6th Feb 2004, 00:55
In the US version, Jeffers, at times, the camera will give you a view where you can not even see where you are on the screen. You'll get a view from behind a wall or something and see nothing.

Ive also had some challenges with the camera when entering/ exiting the water. Id be out of the water and have a camera view from beneath the waters surface, or vice versa.

It makes it kind of difficult to control at times, I really dont see what all the fuss is about, every game has some issues.

Dogfight
6th Feb 2004, 01:07
Elder God: "Consuming Zephon’s apostate soul has bestowed on you a new gift. Like his vampire spawn, you are able to scale certain walls which are otherwise impassable - but only in the physical realm. In the spirit world, these insubstantial edifices will not support you."

The Elder not being the most trustworthy being, his words shouldn't always be relied upon.

TheWatcher
6th Feb 2004, 01:25
In SR1 when Raz confronts Dumah, D says that all the time he has spent in spectral has made him stronger than Kain. Apparently, just being in spectral (over a long period) increases one's strength in some way.
In the beginning of LOK: D, we find that Raz has been in spectral for 500 years (since the end of SR2). Raz may have just developed the ability to climb spectral walls.

Or, it could just be a nice twist from CD! :D
It seems a lot of people got hung up (I did) in that underworld pit, seeing the wall but not even attempting it.

Dogfight
6th Feb 2004, 01:36
In SR1 when Raz confronts Dumah, D says that all the time he has spent in spectral has made him stronger than Kain. Apparently, just being in spectral (over a long period) increases one's strength in some way.

This is a quite a bit of good deductive reasoning, and the best answer I've heard so far. Raziel was in the Spectral Realm in Defiance for 500 years, more than enough time to develop naturally or in Raziel's case unnaturally some new abilities.

Or, it could just be a nice twist from CD!
It seems a lot of people got hung up (I did) in that underworld pit, seeing the wall but not even attempting it.

It could be both.

You don't know the half of it, back when Defiance first came out in the U.S. I heard from others that they returned the game because they couldn't get pass that level since they didn't know they could now climb in the Spectral Realm.

JustAnotherGeek
6th Feb 2004, 12:43
It's always bothered me that you couldn't climb walls in the spectral realm. Ledges were substantial enough that you could hoist up them, why not climb walls?

WraithStar
7th Feb 2004, 01:02
I actually forgot Raziel couldn't climb walls in spectral until I was halfway up that first climb in the pit:rolleyes:. Then it hit me and I was thinking, "Whoa! He can climb now! What else can he do?..." It was quite amusing at the time:p .