PDA

View Full Version : Need your help fellow gamers

Tin Star
28th Jan 2004, 06:38
I just got my PC back today after having a new mother board,sound card,cpu,bigger hard drive and more memory added but now I have a problem with running some of the new games I get a message that says{The D3D 8.Dll file is linked to missing export DDraw Dll unlock CB}.

I am not a computer wiz and have no idea what the heck I am suppose to do to get it running right again,can anyone help me out with this problem please.

Tin Star:(

Peter_Smith
28th Jan 2004, 07:28
I have never seen this problem, but it looks like you have a corrupted install of Direct X 8. D3D and Direct Draw are part of Direct X, and the 8 gives a clue. I would be tempted to install DX8 again, on top of itself, since removal is difficult without special software. Then, if that didn't work, I would look for DX buster or (?) to remove it and try again. Since all that is potentially risky, I think you should wait for other replies before doing anything. Maybe someone willl have a better idea. Good luck.

Tin Star
28th Jan 2004, 09:48
I can play the Thief games and my other older games with no problems,this only happens when I try to play the new games like DX-IW I also get a notice that says {A device attached to the system is not functioning}but everything is working and I don't get either of the notices with the older games.

Tin Star

Peter_Smith
28th Jan 2004, 14:24
Maybe you have a graphics card that does not support the commands required to run the new games. In particular, you need to have a "pixel shader", a recent type of card. The game should supply a list.

Tin Star
28th Jan 2004, 14:43
I have a Nvidia Geforce 3 Ti 200 which ran the same game before I had the upgrades done and now I can't get past the play game option.

Tin Star

bravus
28th Jan 2004, 15:19
yeah, my guess is a b0rked DirectX install, and installing it again over top of itself shouldn't hurt anything. Unless you have specific reasons for not doing so, you may as well upgrade to DirectX 9 at this stage...

Let us know how it all goes.

Bravus

Tin Star
28th Jan 2004, 16:28
Well after trying the reloads on directx 8 and 9 and still not getting anywhere I called the person who done the upgrades and he said that it was most likely the way that he had reloaded windows me. back into it for the new board that he installed and asked me to bring the computer back to him and he would get it working right,he said he had a problem reloading windows me.and loaded it another way and that was most likely causing the problem and it should be ready for pick up on Thursday.I will let you guys know just what it was for sure when I pick it up,Thanks for your help on this.

Tin Star

Peter_Smith
29th Jan 2004, 02:49
Here is a link to a thread in the DX-IW forum (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28810) , a thread that explains system requirements. The GeForce 3 Ti series is supported, but it says the card must be 100% DX-9 compatible. I don't know whether or not DX-9 needs to be installed.

Tin Star
29th Jan 2004, 05:18
Thanks but I already had Directx 9.0a installed on it and reinstalled it after I reinstalled directx 8 plus the game{which I was able to play with no problems before the upgrades} installs it when you install the game.

I was just reading on another forum that the game won't support sound cards above 2.0 and the one I had put in is a 5.1 which is bad news but the good news is there is a fix for it which will take care of the problem with the notice that I was getting about a device attached to the system that was not funtioning as for the rest of it I'LL let the guy who worked on the upgrades fight with it and just use this old computer of mine until I get the other one back which will be about noon today.

:cool: Tin Star

Lazarus
29th Jan 2004, 05:29
Ummm... I don't know about the rest but it is hard to understand what you're writting. There is no punctuation. It's one long runon sentence?!

Now that I've shown my a$$. :(
----->>
You need DX9b. I had similar error messages with some new games. 9a and 9b are different and even Microsoft encourages everyone to get 9b for the fixes from 9a. Going to 9b fixed all my error messages and other questions I had concerning D3D and .dll errors.

I would also get your Windows updates. Especially SP1 if you haven't already.

You should post all your system specs on your hardware so you can get the best help. if you have a soundcard with 5.1... that should work fine with the newer games. Not sure what you mean by "2.0".

Your best bet is to update ALL hardware drivers. Video card and Sound card are the most important. Along with DX9b, should straighten out your bugs. If you have a Sound Blaster 5.1 or any other Creative Labs sound card... Go to Creative Labs website and download the latest drivers. They support EAX4.0 which is also required with newer games.

Hope that helps. :D

Lazarus
29th Jan 2004, 05:46
As Peter Mentioned... these newer cards offer this new pixel shading feature.

The Geforce 3 Ti200 supports "pixel shading" within the newest driver download. If you do not have the lastest "pixel shading" drivers... your Geforce card will not work right on the new games.

Go to http://www.Nvidia.com and get your new drivers.

Tin Star
29th Jan 2004, 05:53
Originally posted by Lazarus
As Peter Mentioned... these newer cards offer this new pixel shading feature.

The Geforce 3 Ti200 supports "pixel shading" within the newest driver download. If you do not have the lastest "pixel shading" drivers... your Geforce card will not work right on the new games.

Go to http://www.Nvidia.com and get your new drivers.

I am using the same card that I had before I had the upgrades done which I updated long before DE-IW came out besides I was able to play the game with the card I have in it now before the upgrades so I know its not the problem.

Tin Star
29th Jan 2004, 06:26
Originally posted by Lazarus
Ummm... I don't know about the rest but it is hard to understand what you're writting. There is no punctuation. It's one long runon sentence?!

Now that I've shown my a$$. :(
----->>
You need DX9b. I had similar error messages with some new games. 9a and 9b are different and even Microsoft encourages everyone to get 9b for the fixes from 9a. Going to 9b fixed all my error messages and other questions I had concerning D3D and .dll errors.

I would also get your Windows updates. Especially SP1 if you haven't already.

You should post all your system specs on your hardware so you can get the best help. if you have a soundcard with 5.1... that should work fine with the newer games. Not sure what you mean by "2.0".

Your best bet is to update ALL hardware drivers. Video card and Sound card are the most important. Along with DX9b, should straighten out your bugs. If you have a Sound Blaster 5.1 or any other Creative Labs sound card... Go to Creative Labs website and download the latest drivers. They support EAX4.0 which is also required with newer games.

Hope that helps. :D

All my drivers are up to date I done it myself when I got the computer back except for my GEforce 3 ti200 which I had already updated before the upgrades.

The reason I have not gone from directx 9a to directx 9b is some of the people who have gone to directx 9b have had problems with running DX-IW and other games and as I said I had no problem running it or anyother game using directx 9a.

What I mean by a sound card that is higher then 2.0 is that there have been problems with running DX-IW with a sound card that is higher then 2.0 which my card is,and yes I checked for updates on it at the creative labs web site and get auto-updates if here are any and there was no new updates for it but there is a fix for the game that you can install so the game will except higher sound cards.

I get notices from windows update as well as Nvidia and creative on updates and keep my computers updated,as I said above the only thing that I have not updated is the directx from 9a to 9b and feel I shouldn't need to seeing how the game ran fine on directx 9a before the upgrades.

Tin Star
3rd Feb 2004, 10:41
Well the computers up and running fine they had to reload widows me. back into it and that took care of the problem.
I got it back last Thursday or Friday and all the games are running fine on it now.

theBlackman
4th Feb 2004, 02:40
HOORAY!