PDA

View Full Version : IT Help

Banes
19th Jan 2004, 10:12
I have got Windows XP and I can't run my old Tomb Raider games, i.e. 1, 2 and 3. They install fine, but the computer crashes when I reach the title screen.

Is this because they were built to run on Windows 95 and 98?

If so, what can I do?

I'm desperate, this page is my only hope.....

eurisko
19th Jan 2004, 14:11
Sorry to hear you're having problems, mate. Let's see what we can do about that.

First of all, a bit of information...
- what are your system specs (CPU, vid card, RAM especially)?
- what exactly happens when your computer crashes? Do you get any error messages (if so, what are they), BSODs or the like, or does it just crash back to the desktop and that's it?
- have you got compatibility mode turned on for those games?

I'm a bit sleep-deprived atm so I've probably forgotten to ask a few things. I'll return when my mind is a bit more awake :)

Dino
19th Jan 2004, 14:23
Check out the information on TombRaiderChronicles:

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/windowsxp.html

You posted this thread in two forums where it doesn't belong.

It really belongs in the Tomb Raider Legacy forum, for all pre-TRAOD games.

Hey, eurisko, how are things down under?

Banes
20th Jan 2004, 08:53
Thanks for the replies guys x (I'm female btw)

I managed to change the compatibility in the properties of the execute file 2, and 3 now work fine. I think the same will apply with Last Revelation. But I'm still having problems with TR1 - I couldn't find the exe file on my comp. I've downloaded a patch from Tomb Raider Chronicles but I'm not sure how to use it......?

I've downloaded the patch for TRAOD, (took ages) and i'm not sure if it worked - how do I activate it - I uninstalled and reinstalled would that have done it?

BTW - are you Dino from UK Bassline? (I know it's a thousand to one!)

Dino
20th Jan 2004, 14:31
No, that's not me -- I've never heard of UK Bassline.

For TRAOD you execute the downloaded .exe file and it makes the changes to the appropriate files in your TRAOD directorys.

TR1 didn't work for me on my Win XP computer. I used Bokkie's TR1 XP Advanced Installer to set up TR1 on that computer with Glidos and VDMSound.

Read the several paragraphs after "The Original Tomb Raider:" header on that link to TombRaiderChronicles that I posted in my last post in this thread.

Banes
20th Jan 2004, 14:46
Thanks for all your help!

I take it Eurisko is still asleep!

You should check out UK bassline - Fatness!

www.ukbassline.co.uk

eurisko
21st Jan 2004, 12:54
Hey Dino, wading into the fray again I see :) Good to glimpse you again :)

Asleep, nay. Watching the tennis :)

/me gets ready to jump right in...
... oh wait, Dino's beat me to it :) I haven't got anything to add to that (well done, mate).

/me bows out respectfully.

Jewel
21st Jan 2004, 19:23
Please...tell me I won't have to do this to play AoD...

irakli22
21st Jan 2004, 22:06
they are old versions for Windows XP probably

Dino
21st Jan 2004, 23:38
Originally posted by Jewel
Please...tell me I won't have to do this to play AoD...

Do what to play AOD? I don't understand your question.

If you are referring to the patches, yes, they are necessary to fix many of the problems with the game as released. Installing them is easy.

Jewel
22nd Jan 2004, 01:09
I hadn't yet loaded the game. Patching's not a good thing to look forward to on something you haven't even tried yet, that's all.

And...as I have loaded now, I see I will need whatever patches there are. Let me hope whatever I patch with fixes the very first FMV. I hear everything just fine, but all I see is fading in and out and flashing light.

Maybe I'll go visit Stella first...

Dino
22nd Jan 2004, 01:48
The link to the official EIDOS patches:

http://support.eidosinteractive.com/GI/CustomerSupport/FaqSearchResults.jsp?problemType=13&searchText=&game=91&platform=3