PDA

View Full Version : Thief II Crash

Theonomy
14th Jan 2004, 23:06
I had no problem installing and playing Thief II: the Metal Age, in Windows XP.

However, I have just completed the mission: "blackmail," and as soon as I exit the scene, thereby completing my final objective, the game crash to windows. Has anybody successfully fixed this?

Theonomy
14th Jan 2004, 23:40
I tried to fix this by reinstalling the game, then installing the patch.

Now I can't even get into the game! It says "Please insert the correct CD-ROM." but I launched the game by inserting the correct CD Rom and pressing "Play"! What gives?

Theonomy
15th Jan 2004, 01:16
OK, uninstalled the game totally, then tried a fesh install. Now the game won't play - black screen and then back to windows. I've done it three times! It worked before! I'm doanloading a pirated copy of the game as we speak. Somehow those versions always seem to work flawlessly LOL!

Peter_Smith
15th Jan 2004, 02:50
Do you have a licensed copy of the original media you were using?

I am moving this to the technical area. This problem description is pretty vague. I suggest you list the stats of your system including video and audio cards (or on-board). Also, you might try reinstalling the Indeo Codecs. Bad codecs could prevent a cutscene from playing. See:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24299

Theonomy
15th Jan 2004, 04:34
Yes, I was running a fully legal legit original licenced etc game - I got it for Christmas.

All the missions until this one ("blackmail") ran flawlessly, no problems at all viewing any of the cutscenes. Then as soon as the message appears on the screen to say "Objective completed," and it would normally cut to a mission summary, it crashed to windows. I rebooted many times and tried again, with no luck. So I reinstalled the game and then patched it, and the game told me the CD was not in the drive - and it was (that's how I launched the game). So I uninstalled the game and did a totaly fresh install, and now the game won't start. I get a black screen for a bout a sedond, then it returns to windows - but it worked before and nothing in my system has changed.

Here are my system specs:

Athlon 2200 XP CPU
Geforce 2 MX440 video card
Onboard sound (c-media)
512 MB DDR 333 RAM
40 gig HDD, about three quarters full.
Windows XP home

The game had run utterly flawlessly up to this one point, and then it happened every time - at the same point. Now the game won't run at all.... confusing and annoying. So legal or not, I am in the process of downloading a pirated copy of the game (ripped, not .ISO files) to see if it works. if it does, then great. I'd still like to know if anyone has overcome similar problems - and HOW.

Thanks

Theonomy
15th Jan 2004, 08:49
Originally posted by Peter Smith
Also, you might try reinstalling the Indeo Codecs. Bad codecs could prevent a cutscene from playing. See:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24299

Thanks for that suggestion. i reinstalled the Indeo codecs, but the problem of the game not starting now persists, so I can't check to see if that fixed it...

Ceyko
15th Jan 2004, 12:06
Alright,
With any luck we can probably square this away.

1. Do your event logs show anything?

2. Do you have this problem with any other games? Maybe not this specific problem, but games that crash and so forth?

3. When uninstalling make sure you delete the Thief 2 install directory. Also, if you feel comfortorable look for all registry entries using regedit.

4. After # 3 is done, try again. I would also reinstall the CODEC that was mentioned previously just for good measures.

Good luck,
Ceyko

Peter_Smith
16th Jan 2004, 02:39
Ceyko's suggestions are good ones. Do you have Thief 1 and does it work?

Theonomy
16th Jan 2004, 12:25
Originally posted by Ceyko
[B]Alright,
With any luck we can probably square this away.

1. Do your event logs show anything?
What is an event log, and where would I find it?

2. Do you have this problem with any other games? Maybe not this specific problem, but games that crash and so forth?
No.

3. When uninstalling make sure you delete the Thief 2 install directory. Also, if you feel comfortorable look for all registry entries using regedit.
I deleted the folder, but I really don't know much about using the registry.

4. After # 3 is done, try again. I would also reinstall the CODEC that was mentioned previously just for good measures. Yeah, I tried that.

Theonomy
16th Jan 2004, 12:27
Originally posted by Peter Smith
Ceyko's suggestions are good ones. Do you have Thief 1 and does it work?
No, I don't have thief 1.

Peter_Smith
16th Jan 2004, 17:41
Some people with XP (not all) have found that it doesn't work unless the Indeo codecs are installed each time you play.:eek: Just to be sure, do this until you get it working, then test to see if this applies to you.

You may have done all the suggested things, but I am not sure if they were done in the correct order. Also, you need to make sure your audio and video drivers are good and up to date before the install. If it were me, I would to the following in order:

1. Update or reinstall sound drivers, depending on whether you have the latest version.

Optionally, for a totally clean driver install, search out and destroy all the sound driver files after deinstalling and before reinstalling. This part is a little tricky, because you need to find out what the files are named first. You can do this in the Device manager by right clicking on the device icon and going to properties, driver, driver details.

2. Update or reinstall video drivers to a released version just prior to Nvidia version 53.03, which has problems (see separate thread in this forum). I use 52.16.

Same thing about optional clean install. Removing old drivers can be done after deinstalling and before reinstalling, when the system boots up in VGA mode.

3. Deinstall Thief and remove folder. Reinstall. Do not patch. Leave the patch until after you get it working.

4. Reinstall Codecs.

5. Try running Thief again.

If that doesn't work then you may have to deinstall Thief again, as above, and use regedit at the command prompt to search for any registry entries that are related to the Thief program (not browser favorites and such) and delete them. Regedit is dangerous to use, but it may be necessary as a last resort. If it comes down to it, ask for help here or elsewhere. One thing you should do is make a backup of your registry before changing it. Regedit makes changes on the fly and has no undo.

Peter_Smith
16th Jan 2004, 18:09
I made several changes to the above to clarify the suggested procedure, so if you have already started, it might help to read it again. I'm done editing now. If anyone else has any ideas on this, let us know.

Theonomy
17th Jan 2004, 03:21
Fixed!

I uninstalled EVERY codec on my computer (well, every one that I could uninstall) - audio and video. Then I reinstalled the codecs I knew I needed. Bingo. the game worked.

Bizarre. I hadn't installed any new codecs since the game last worked. Maybe a codec spontaneously became corrupted? Ah well. Thanks for your time, guys, I appreciate it.

Peter_Smith
17th Jan 2004, 10:17
Great.:D

Post this fix on the Windows XP thread.