PDA

View Full Version : Thief:Gold Question

Jareth42
12th Jan 2004, 00:10
Hi,
I LOVE the Thief games and have played (and finished) both Thief:Gold and Thief 2 many times. I recently bought a new computer and it has WindowsXP. I ran it with the -lgntforce line and it installed but the picture seems very dark and hard to see. I reduced the gamma all the way but it was still very difficult to see. Is there something else I can do...I love Thief and hate the idea of not being able to play it just because I'm on XP now.
Thank You,
Mike--

Stile451
12th Jan 2004, 02:09
Well, there are a few things that you can do. Your video card control panel should have a setting that will allow you to adjust the brightness and contrast, the game has a gamma slider, your monitor can be adjusted for brightness and contrast as well.

Updating your video drivers may help.

I think Powerstrip can increase the gamma as well.

You may be having a hardware specific problem that we know about, but we would need all your system specs to tell. CPU, Sound Card, Video Card, their corresponding driver versions, and the DirectX version you're running.

mindflayer_flame
21st Jan 2004, 15:59
Hi, I too have windows Xp, and I have also used the -igntforce parameter, but I still have a problem. When I start the game to install, I get an error saying, "This product can not be installed on windows nt due to a microsoft direct x limitation"

I have direct X 9, and I updated the drivers for it, and my video card. If anyone can offer some help to this, I would be really grateful.

bravus
21st Jan 2004, 17:35
Hi mindflayer

It's actually '-lgntforce', with a letter 'l' (the one before 'm' in the alphabet, or the one after 'a' in the <i>word</i> alphabet!) rather than a letter 'i'. That will fix exactly the problem you describe!

Bravus

Peter_Smith
27th Jan 2004, 02:21
Originally posted by bravus
It's actually '-lgntforce', with a letter 'l' (the one before 'm' in the alphabet, or the one after 'a' in the <i>word</i> alphabet!) rather than a letter 'i'. Gee, I thought it was a lower case L. ;)

fontaine
4th Feb 2004, 02:30
Hi:

I have a new P4 3.0GHz,1024Ram, HT technology with XP home. 128MB ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, Soundblaster Audigy 2, DirectX 9
I got Thief to load using "-lgntforce" the screen is not dark but after I take 1 step the screen locks and is silent.
Won't even alt/ctrl/delete out.

I went into the shortcut/properities and selected
"run as Win 2000" for compatibility.
Still does not work, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

theBlackman
4th Feb 2004, 02:39
DID YOU KILL HYPER THREADING? Thief won't run with the HYPER THREAD function on the MOBO.

Stile451
4th Feb 2004, 02:41
theBlackman beat me to it, but I'll outdo him by giving you a guide to how it can be done. :D

Link (http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm)

Old Man
4th Feb 2004, 02:44
I'm in the same boat as you, fontaine. P4 3.2GHz, 1024Mb, XP pro, ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 Pro, SB Audigy 2 ZS. I installed both Thief Gold and Thief II with the -lgntforce switch. Thief II runs fine. Thief Gold hangs pretty much like yours. Well, mine hangs after pressing continue at the loadout and before the mission actually starts. Just a black screen. I've tried the XP compatibility options, turned sound hardware off, and also tried Salvage's Hyperthreading switch. None of this has worked so far. Looks like I won't be able to do Thief Gold. Dang!

I played Thief II first and have always preferred it too. Looks like I may have to put my money where my mouth is. Not liking it an awful lot so far. :-|

Just read another codec reinstall thread over at TTLG. Guess I'll give that a try too. Brand spanking new system though?

Peter_Smith
4th Feb 2004, 03:06
I am glad that I bought Win 2000 and not XP when I upgraded some time ago. Based on stuff like this, I will probably continue to use 2000 when I next upgrade.

Win 2000 is always an option if you have an old copy lying around.

I am waiting to see if anyone with an Athlon 64 is running Thief without problems.

fontaine
4th Feb 2004, 03:08
Thanks Guys:

I will try the HT trick right away and let you know soon.
BTW I played Thief II just fine on XP

A big THANKS to all of you

fontaine
4th Feb 2004, 04:05
Hey I'm in.

Started the first mission, the cpu trick worked.

Yahoo

Thanks so much!!!

theBlackman
4th Feb 2004, 08:38
Glad to hear it. We do try to get everyone working. :D

fontaine
7th Feb 2004, 18:28
Hi:
I'm back again.
(See posts from a few dasy ago)

I was able to play mission 1 & 2 just fine by doing the HT CPU trick.

Now when the game tries to load mission 3 it crashes to the desktop.

I see the movie and text poems and then the crash.

I have tried to force mission 3 by editing the Dark.cfg file with starting_mission 3 with the same results.

Any ideas please.

Thanks