PDA

View Full Version : Digital cameras

Gumdrop
10th Jan 2004, 00:10
Does anyone here own a digital camera? I am thinking of getting one to take pictures of my jun... err... stuff to sell on Ebay. I have tons of little lead figures (25mm high) stashed in my loft from when I was young, and they seem to fetch quite a price on Ebay, but I would need a camera with a decent zoom to photograph them.

I don't like the idea of paying for loads of prints so I thaught a digi' was the way to go, but have no idea what all the spec's mean. I would need to take pictures from about 1-3 ft away. Anyone clued up on all this?

RicknMel
10th Jan 2004, 00:34
Hi Gummy
I am by NO means any type of digi cam expert ... but I have used about 4 different styles over the last 3 years, and have liked every one of them I've used.

Currently I have a Sony Mavica FD-92
It can use the little "memory sticks" and/or regular 3.5" floppy discs for quick easy loading of the pics into my PC.
It also has the ablitly to take short videos with sound (15 seconds at a time)

It really depends on what all you're going to use it for. I'd say if you're just going to shoot some quick pics for eBay, just about any cheapie digi camera would work fine. If you might want to start taking more pics for yourself with it, maybe spend a little more $$ and get a little better one.

Most are rated by "magapixels". Thats the "size" image it will take. Of course.. bigger is better... and more costly.
In my opinion, I wouldn't get one that won't go to at least around 1 megapixel. My current Sony goes to 1.6 MP, and thats plenty good for me. They make them go up over like 6 MP now!

Just my 2 cents. Good luck :)

Xcom
10th Jan 2004, 02:23
Originally posted by RicknMel
Currently I have a Sony Mavica FD-92

I had very bad experience with this camera. Maybe not exactly this model, but it was definitely Sony Mavica #smth. Therefore, I strongly recommend against it (and actually against all Sony digicams). :p But.. Rick is right, it all depends on whatcha wanna do with your camera. If it's just for Ebay, then even $30 Trust webcam will do. :D If you want quality, you will have to dig deeper in your wallet. I have heard good things about Canon Powershot series; (unfortunately I forget which model number and that was important since there are lots of powershots and not all of them were equally good).
Have also recently seen a magazine where Nikon Coolpix 3200 was tested as best..

Well, I suggest doing a search in Google for digital cameras and you'll find lots of sites with reviews and user comments. Best way to get info, IMO.

RicknMel
10th Jan 2004, 02:50
Xcom
I'm curious what problem you had with your Mavica?
I've owned an FD83 and now my FD92, and also have used the FD87 and FD85 at two different jobs over the years and have never had a problem with any of them.

Just curious if there's anything I should be careful about, or watch out for.
:)

bravus
10th Jan 2004, 03:17
I have an Olympus C750. It's a 4 megapixel, mid range camera, with 10x optical zoom (very unusual in digital cameras). It ran about $900 Canadian, and I wouldn't have spent that much except that I ended up with some money from a consulting project that could only be spent on 'toys' for tax reasons. ;)

It's *very* nice, and the default resolution is 2288 x 17(something). It transfers images over USB to the computer very fast and conveniently.

The other nice thing is that I got a 512 MB memory card, so even at that resolution I have something like 500 photos before I need to upload. My brother-in-law borrowed it and snapped every few minutes for a couple of days (in the Canadian Rockies), and only got to 200 or so! It's very freeing to be able to take 3 or 4 shots of the same subject and pick the best one, rather than worry about developing costs. And I can get the photos printed commercially on photographic paper if I need to.

This camera is probably more than you want for your purposes, but I just thought I'd share the experience. I find myself posting photos on the web, or sending them in e-mails, much more, and keeping the family in Australia much more updated on our lives...

Bravus

LeatherMan
10th Jan 2004, 03:20
I love my Sony DSC-P130 (1.3 MPixel) camera. Have had it for nearly 3 years now and have never had a problem with it. I am very pleased with the image quality, battery life, and ease of use.

My dad and boss each have a Fujifilm digital camera and I can't stand either one. Neither came with a rechargeable battery/batteries (very expensive if not included) and I found them both to be a little more difficult to use when compared to mine.

Other than those two brands I can't recommend anything...

HTH

Ceyko
10th Jan 2004, 09:26
Sony makes a good camera. I choose sony for the following reasons. (I only had one other brand and it was an Olympus)

1. Batteries that are not taken out to be charged - just plug in the camera and voila, it is charging.
2. Fairly easy to use and above average pictures to boot.
3. Sony Memory stick - no extra software required w/ XP. W2K only requires a minor driver, but no proprietary software.
4. My new Sony camera (P10) is small - no bigger then a pack of smokes.

It all depends how much you want to spend. The easy battery charging probably will not be an issue for you - since you are only going to use it at home. Consider Sony though when making your choice.

--Ceyko

Komag
10th Jan 2004, 16:38
I would strongly suggest BUYING one on eBay itself, from someone who is selling of their trusty 1.3mpx because they upgraded to 5mpx or something like that, or old warehouse stock of still new but 3 years old models, etc... MUCH cheaper than going to Best Buy or Circuit City - should get a pretty good one for under $100 :)

Xcom
10th Jan 2004, 16:47
Originally posted by Ceyko
Sony makes a good camera. I choose sony for the following reasons.

The 'reasons' you listed are of course nice but do not make a good camera. I mean electric windows and cruise control are nice things in a car, but what's the point if the car doesn't ride?

IMO, picture quality is what it's all about, and especially keeping quality good in not so perfect conditions (little light, lots of light, close ups, indoors).

Originally posted by RicknMel
Xcom, I'm curious what problem you had with your Mavica?

Not many in technical sense, it simply produced very poor images (to my taste that is). I needed to make a few shots of some buildings (plus interiors) for a project, so quality was kinda important. I really had to do a lot of editing in Photoshop to make Mavica pics somewhat presentable. Interior pics. were particularly horrid. Btw, FD series are no longer manufactured.

And I realize, of course, that picture quality is a subjective concept. About 7 years ago, I had a PC with 2mb ATI graphics card and some cheap-ass 14 inch monitor. I thought that quality of picture was good and I was happy. :D I thought that because I haven't used anything better. When I later bought 17' IIYAMA monitor and a better gfx card, it was like "WOW.. holy crap". In other words, you sometimes don't realize that a 'thing' is bad, until you get something better. But, on the other hand, if you you are satisfied with it, and it seems enough for what you do, then heck, why not. :)

Gumdrop
10th Jan 2004, 17:38
Many thanks for your replies. I now have some names to do a search on. The most important thing is the ability to take clear pictures of small objects close up. I don't want to spend too much, but I can always sell the camera after I guess.

Would one of you be willing to take a picture of something close up and post it or email me? That would be great. :)

RicknMel
10th Jan 2004, 19:49
I'm at work, so I used the camera here to take this pic.
The camera is a Sony Mavica FD87, that has a 1.3 MP max resolution. I took this picture at the "medium" quality setting.

http://www.bright.net/~tsarka/keys.JPG

Gumdrop
11th Jan 2004, 02:46
Wow Rick... that is super sweet! More than adequate for my ebay stuff, but now I'm thinking about all the textures I could be grabbing with that baby! :cool:

Time to take my girlfriend out for a nice meal to soften her up a bit. :p

littlek
12th Jan 2004, 18:37
I bet we could see your fingerprints on those keys with that camera. I have to have one......

RicknMel
13th Jan 2004, 02:43
There's nothing special about that particular camera, or that particular picture. I would guess that any camera with about a 1 MegaPixel resolution (or more) will produce an image about like that.

If you like that...... Imagine what a 6 or 8 MegaPixel camera could do!! :eek:
:D

Peter_Smith
13th Jan 2004, 03:58
Hi Rick,

I am also in the market for a digital camera, eventually.

I have some questions about that image of the keys. To me, it has a distinct greenish tint. Do you see that? Is the background supposed to be white? If so, then to what do you attribute the greenish color? Can it be adjusted by the camera, or do you need to process the image?

Also, do you need to go into a Macro mode to focus that close, or can the camera just do it without thinking?

Mr. Perfect
13th Jan 2004, 20:09
I just got my first digital camera for Christmas, a Fuji A210. Nothing fancy, just a 3.2 megapixel camera with 3x optical 2x digital zoom photo and movie recording. I've got the charging/uploading cradle with it, and the cradle came with a Ni-MH rechargeable battery, so I'm all set to putz around snapping pictures of things. :)

Zaccheus
13th Jan 2004, 23:08
I want to get this one:
Olympus Camedia C750 (http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/camedia-c750.htm)

When choosing the image size, I'd never go above 1600x1200 (2 Mega Pixels) myself, because the image quality is great at that resolution, and you don't waste space on the memory card.
But having a 3 Mega Pixel CCD is still worth it, because most digi-cams have to 'construct' the image from the CCD data using averaging and bluring/sharpening. So the more data, the better the image.
:)

Thorin Oakenshield
14th Jan 2004, 00:01
I took this with my Sony Cybershot DSC P51 2M pixel. The batteries last hours and it takes AA batteries too so no expensive Sony ones. I only have a 16M stick though but it's good enough for me at the moment.

http://www.mseyre.fsnet.co.uk/Watch.jpg

bravus
14th Jan 2004, 04:24
Yep, Zaccheus, that's the one I have, and I'm very happy indeed with it. I tend to shoot at higher resolutions, so that I can crop and zoom quite a lot and still have good resolution.

RicknMel
15th Jan 2004, 00:20
Hi Peter
The green hue has been present in every single picture I've ever taken in my office at work. I think it's something in the lighting or something.
Although... thats the only camera I've ever used in my office, so who knows.
Other pictures don't have that green hue to them. :confused:

The camera has tons of adjustments like flash settings, shutter speeds ...etc.. but I never mess with them. So I couldn't tell you how they effect the images.

The picture of the watch looks nice! :)

Xcom
15th Jan 2004, 23:51
So, Gummie, have you decided yet? :D
(btw, that Olympus looks like a very nice camera... )

also, check this out:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/655e/

(I already want one :D )

howie
18th Jan 2004, 14:21
I have an older Olympus Camedia D-360L 1.3 Megapixel and I couldn't be happier with it. I like this one because its small and the fact I can look through a regular view finder and can turn off the digital finder which saves on battery usage. I also use (Quest) rechargable batteries, saving tons of money, because the digital cameras will eat up batteries real quick. If you're looking at the Sony cameras be careful since the add ons Sony offers will kill your wallet. And what ever you do don't get on with a digital zoom. Optical only

Edit: I payed $300 for it new so this is a pretty good deal ----> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2980561291&category=3338

Gumdrop
19th Jan 2004, 23:42
Originally posted by Xcom
So, Gummie, have you decided yet? No. I won't decide until I get paid at the end of the month. I've been reading all the comments on Amazon aswell, so I have about 4 cameras I'm interested in. I did buy a cool mini fridge with a gun metal finish from ThinkGeek though. :)