PDA

View Full Version : i-link play

mtbireland
8th Jan 2004, 09:52
Do people use the i-link adapter to network play or are people using network cards and hubs?

The max it says you can play with an i-link is 4 PS2's.....last night we had five working with it. Has anyone had anymore? The trick seems to be for the first three ps2's to join a game and for the last two to press the button to join exactly at the same time. If there is any delay it limits it to four consoles. If anyone has played around with this before can you let me know.

The Skeletor
8th Jan 2004, 19:16
i-Link is what started it all here, But for the record I use the HUB and the NA, I have used the i-Link (NO Firewire HUB) between the two PS2's, But as the way the games are going from what I have heard is that i-Link is not going to be used much. This is why I am using the LAN option. But GT3 and Unreal Tournament need to use the i-Link not LAN. I had a HUB sitting here and wanted to use it. Now my wife want's us to get a fourth PS2 so she can play with us.

NivekPS2
8th Jan 2004, 20:35
I use the NA and a hub as well, it's easier to get 50ft ethernet cables than a 50ft i-link cable. It just so happens that on Saturday I will be linking 3 ps2's up and playing TS2, I can't wait. A few weeks bcak we did two PS2's and that was cool too.

Kevin

mtbireland
9th Jan 2004, 11:10
The max we have had connected at once was six playing GT3......it was amazing...

yeah I have a hub knocking around at home and all the tools and cable I need for making long cables...just need to get all my friends to buy network adapters now.....

The Skeletor
9th Jan 2004, 15:48
Six PS2's sounds like the perfect LAN Party, If I get the chance at all to get 5 or more, I will be taking pics of that and posting them. The most computers I had in the basement was 10 playing Quake one, (Before I got DSL) Talk about a good time. Love those LAN party's.

mtbireland
9th Jan 2004, 16:06
playing games over the net is great but nothing beats having the people in the same room as you to see there reaction as you snipe them with full zoom from the end of the platform on the ice level while they are hunkering up top of the main building.....

On a non timesplitters note did anyone every try using GT3 with three TV's and three PS2's for the single player game with the huge screen. We did it once...it was amazing...pity its only single player but it was great to try. It was amazing driving around trial mountain and being able to see out the side of the car into the pits as you whizzzed by. We had a 21" screen in the middle and two 28" widescreen's either side. see video here http://www.mtbireland.com/gt.avi

sorry...know this is the wong forum for this...

The Skeletor
9th Jan 2004, 16:26
GT3 just two playstation2's using i-Link, I make this quick (not Timesplitter stuff)
But for the record it was TIMESPLITTERS2 and the i-Link option that got me all rapped up in this, so in a way i guess it is related, LOL.

NivekPS2
9th Jan 2004, 18:45
Originally posted by mtbireland
On a non timesplitters note did anyone every try using GT3 with three TV's and three PS2's for the single player game with the huge screen. We did it once...it was amazing...pity its only single player but it was great to try. It was amazing driving around trial mountain and being able to see out the side of the car into the pits as you whizzzed by. We had a 21" screen in the middle and two 28" widescreen's either side. see video here http://www.mtbireland.com/gt.avi

sorry...know this is the wong forum for this...

Dude! thats nice, care to share a quick explaianation of what exactly you did?

Kevin

nieon_21
11th Jan 2004, 22:22
i recently had a ts2 party with 2 ps2's connected by a single 4 pin to 4 pin i-LINK cable, quickly i relieved that this would be much more fun with say 12-16 players, i know i have to buy a HUB to connect more then 2 ps2's with i-LINK cables but i can't seem to find one that supports the i-LINK cable with just 4 pins...can someone give me some help or post a link where i can buy one of these 4 pin HUBS, thank you

mtbireland
12th Jan 2004, 10:25
Memories a bit rusty on this....I think when you go to the i-link option you have two choices...racing and broadcast...choose the broadcast optoin and once you have three Consoles, Three TV's, Three copies of the game....i-link adapter you will be able to play in this mode.....Its really good to watch even if you are not playing...Below is a link I found on the net which shows it taken to the extreme.....it is done using three projectors and three screens....the beauty is you gon't get the border around the TV and so it looks like one big massive screen....amazing...

http://www.alias.com.hk/games/stories/GT3/gt3.html

mtbireland
16th Jan 2004, 12:26
went to play the other night with five ps2's....and it kept hanging...it turns out there is something wrong with my i-link port on my ps2. I think someone broke it cause I kept kicking there butts....anyway....getting everyone to get network adapters so no more i-link.....will let you know how wall it works and how many consoles we get working at once...

mtbireland
19th Jan 2004, 11:07
Tried a LAN connection last night for the first time with just two PS2's......it works great......just make sure each console is on the same IP range...eg: 10.0.0.1,10.0.0.2 etc... and on the same subnet.... 255.255.255.0 and it will work fine....I also made the machine starting the game the default gateway 10.0.0.1 don't know if that makes any difference....but it worked fine....I had tried it using a cross over cable and it didn't work but as soon as I plugged in the hub up she came....

Eight consoles is the target for us know...will post pictures...

The Skeletor
20th Jan 2004, 23:05
I have three right now on the LAN (and Three copy's of Timesplitters2) Mine and my two sons, Lets just say there is alot of backstabbing and short tempers going on when we play. As it stands now we do not let anybody play as the monkey, LOL. On one PS2 with the multy tap had four, and the other two had full screen, so far we have had 6 players on one game. I will not let anybody play with me on my PS2 (call me spoiled) But the split screen does SUCK!!!

mtbireland
21st Jan 2004, 09:14
yeah split screen sucks especially if you are playing a sniping level...and we also have the ban on the Monkey....its very important to have "played as monkey 0" in your stats.

DrkSnpr14
21st Jan 2004, 16:11
Well, I dont know about you guys, but split screen doesnt bother me that much. Probably because I've been playing FPS since Goldeneye, and are used to it. I do however use the monkey, but only WITH other people, not against them. Killing bots is one thing, but it's unaceptible against another person. The only way that you can get away with it is if everyone else is either the monkey, stumpy, or my favorite verticly challenged competitor, robofish.

mtbireland
21st Jan 2004, 16:28
you can take all the platinum scores and change them for bronzes...I don't mind....but if you took away my "played as monkey - never" well then I would just have to delete the full contents of my memory card and start again.......there is a reason why its in the stats.....its not so bad though if you only play against other monkies I suppose......

The Skeletor
21st Jan 2004, 18:22
The BAN on the monkey is rigidly enforced, no if, and, or buts. Even mentioning to play as monkey, will get you a severe reprimand and a BAN from the LAN itself. The kids enforce this even before their friends enter the house to play. After months of dealing with that char in the LAN you will also agree. Remember that will playing a LAN game bots will not play with you in there. Just human players.

DrkSnpr14
22nd Jan 2004, 04:27
Originally posted by The Skeletor
The BAN on the monkey is rigidly enforced, no if, and, or buts. Even mentioning to play as monkey, will get you a severe reprimand and a BAN from the LAN itself. The kids enforce this even before their friends enter the house to play.

Boy you really crack the whip, dont you;) BTW, cant wait to get out there and see this amzing LAN setup myself. And of course, no monkeys!:D

The Skeletor
22nd Jan 2004, 18:27
If I do not crack the whip, players will get out of hand and nobody has any fun, (Trust me)! Nothing worse than being distracted by trying to sort out kiddy problems and trying to frag them, as the accusations of cheating start flowin.

DrkSnpr14
22nd Jan 2004, 19:56
Usually the no monkey rule is enforced with a menacing shake of my fist. So far it's worked:D

The Skeletor
22nd Jan 2004, 22:57
I can see how that would work on split screen, but seeing how the PS2's are in Different rooms, I have to lay down the Law BEFORE the match starts, LOL!!!!