PDA

View Full Version : question about windows 2000

WatchDragon
6th Jan 2004, 04:11
I dug up startopia again, came to the site for hte patch and got the slap in the face that mucky went bye bye=(.

So this question might be invain now.. but.. when i play startopia, it either crashes to the desktop, or i get a blue screen of death. I have it all patched up with the new video card file and everything, and it still does it. Anyone know what could be up?

DMA57361
6th Jan 2004, 16:54
You could try the following. (Do them one at a time, and if the BSOD/CTD still occurs that's NOT the problem)

- Disable all sound
- Use "Safe Mode" graphics settings (I'm sure there is one, if not, try turning stuff off)
- Test the game under certain settings (ie, does it only happen with AI players? or maybe only if your station gets too big/populated?)

Beyond that, I don't know.

Hope that helps!

WatchDragon
6th Jan 2004, 17:44
i got this largePageMinimum.reg thing that it talked about in the FAQ from AMD, it seems to work now.

Mucky Foot
7th Jan 2004, 17:05
For reference, this is the full info. It's not specific to any game, but certain games put more stress on the AGP bus than others.

Fix Problem with Athlon Hanging AGP Programs (Windows 2000/XP)

>>>SHOULD ALWAYS BACKUP REGISTRY BEFORE MODIFYING<<<
Windows may stop responding when you use an Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) program with an AMD Athlon processor. This is due to the memory allocated by the video adapter driver becoming corrupted.

Open your registry and find the key below.
Create a new DWORD value called "LargePageMinimum" and set it to equal "0xffffffff" (or 4294967295 in decimal).
Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

Note: This behavior is known to occur with Nvidia GeForce 256 and Matrox G400 video adapters on computers with AMD Athlon processors. This behavior is not specific to any particular video adapter type.

Registry Settings
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\
Memory Management]
Value Name: LargePageMinimum
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: 0xffffffff (4294967295 decimal)

TomF - ex-Muckyfoot coder.