PDA

View Full Version : Running at 45 Degrees

yubetcha
18th Dec 2003, 19:26
This may be old news to some. Did anyone notice that in T2 you can run faster if you run at 45 degrees? In other words, press the forward key and the right or left key at the same time. It isn't much faster, but a little bit. If I only press the forward run key, the Hammers chasing me stay at approximately the same distance. If I press both, I can go slightly faster than them, eventually losing them. Of course, you have to turn at 45 degrees to run in the direction that you want to go. I will have to try it on tree ents some time. :)

Huntress
18th Dec 2003, 20:03
Yea Yubetcha, I noticed that awhile back as well...like when your side stepping...you'll go a little faster too :) Just make sure you don't go the wrong direction when testing on those Ents :D Ta and Good Hunting!

yubetcha
18th Dec 2003, 20:12
Can you imagine seeing someone run at 45 degrees in real life, Huntress? :D

Mr. Perfect
18th Dec 2003, 20:37
Ah yes, dualcording. When Garett steals some nice magic flying boots, he can tricord through the sky, too. ;)

Old Man
18th Dec 2003, 21:01
That's the only way to get high enough up the rock walls in Calendra's Legacy III to get the loot masks -- straffe-running.

Vanguard
19th Dec 2003, 00:41
Yep, you get a little more speed. You also swim faster so you can make the dive and swim and get out before taking a health hit. It's also about the only time you can look in a different direction than you run

Squid
19th Dec 2003, 09:21
And here I thought that you were referring to someone who was running outside in the winter... brrr!

Squid

Bat-mite
19th Dec 2003, 16:15
An amazing power, yes...but not as amazing as jumping into a fountain or bathtub, surrounded by guards, and becoming invisible. ;)

Gumdrop
19th Dec 2003, 16:53
I posted about this soon after I released "Run Thief... RUN!", as I thaught it increased your speed slightly and was good for strafing round corners Doom style. I was told however, that it just seems to be faster, but I never bothered to time a simple lap.

Is it actually slightly faster? :confused:

SNAKE-LORD
19th Dec 2003, 20:28
An amazing power, yes...but not as amazing as jumping into a fountain or bathtub, surrounded by guards, and becoming invisible.

huh?
could you explain this please.
it would come in helpful for ghosting baffords mansion.

Mr. Perfect
20th Dec 2003, 07:50
I shoudl be faster, yes. Vectors and such. Add the foward with the sideway to get the angle. Blah blah blah, etc etc. :D

littlek
20th Dec 2003, 13:32
I tested it and must have been running at 33 degrees. I got slashed ....

Peter_Smith
21st Dec 2003, 03:17
It is faster, but it is difficult to keep your course straight. There are a couple of long underwater swims that can be done only that way or with breath potion. With those swims, you can see the difference in the results.

Munin the Raven
23rd Dec 2003, 00:29
I think Peter Smith is right Gum Drop, in that the 45 degree run actually is slightly faster. I also agree with him that it can make it a lot harder to run in a straight line.

I've been running this way in first person shooters for years. It's a trick that's been exploited in multiplayer first person shooters since the days of Quake (and possibly earlier). Not every game or engine allows it, but I've found that it works more often than not.

In the Thief games I've found that I can make longer jumps this way, either because I'm actually moving faster or because Garrett can get closer to an edge without going over if his body is angled (the later may just be a perspective issue).

Bat-mite
23rd Dec 2003, 15:54
Originally posted by SNAKE-LORD
An amazing power, yes...but not as amazing as jumping into a fountain or bathtub, surrounded by guards, and becoming invisible.

huh?
could you explain this please.
it would come in helpful for ghosting baffords mansion.

It won't work for ghosting, because the guards still get alerted. They know you are there, they just can't see you or attack you.

Try it. Start a game you aren't trying to win, run past the guards and jump into a bathtub or fountain. They will stand there and yell at you to come out, but they won't attack you or seem to know exactly where you are.

Old Man
23rd Dec 2003, 16:28
I still get a chuckle in this "can't get there from here" AI conundrum. Especially when they sigh/shrug. Cracks me up. Like "Grow up will ya!"

Except I think they can see Garrett just fine. It's the unresolved pathfinding that messes them up. If they couldn't see him they'd eventually get bored and wander off but they don't do that.