PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Mr. Clarke!

Exitium
17th Dec 2003, 11:43
(Well, actually, this occured yesterday. . .)

Yesterday was Arthur C. Clarke's 87th birthday! The father of known science-fiction literature currently resides on Sri Lanka I believe.

On an unrelated note, the notorious or famous X-Prize competition may be won as soon as next year by a vessel whose name I forgot (Sadly).

Phat Dr Robeatnik
17th Dec 2003, 19:54
Do you think he can hear us from here? Anyway.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I've not read any of his major works - blasphemy, I know - but I read one or two short stories in a small colelction I got from the library.

I dont remember what it was, but I remember liking it. It was either about a blind man or a demon that let out the devils horses.

And what is this X-Prize?

Exitium
17th Dec 2003, 22:22
The XXX Prize? Wonder why you would ask that. Well it's this contest with these men and women, see, and-

Oh! Sorry there! Crossed my eyes for a minute you see. Well anyway, the X-Prize is completely different from the first contest mentioned. It's where companies or independent groups must find a way for cheap Earth-to-Space travel. The website for the one most likely to win is here. (http://www.xprize.org/teams/scaled.html)

Staticon
4th Jan 2004, 10:33
Arthur C. Clarke is my favourite author. The stunning 'Rendezvous With Rama' is, perhaps, the best fiction ever written IMHO.

Happy birthday Arthur. :)

Arctic_Wolf
4th Jan 2004, 15:07
2001: A space Odyssea

Although I still have no clue as to what the end was about, its one of the best films I've ever seen.

Shame someone ruined it with 2010. :(

AlphaOmega
8th Jan 2004, 08:38
Read the book... And the other 2 in the series. 2010 book version is so very much good. (Movie wasn't bad.)

Mr. Clarke is my hero. Best.Sci.Fi.Writer.Ever.

Deekman
10th Jan 2004, 23:16
I must concur.
@staticon - did you read the entire Rama saga?
I've only read them twice.
Morgan Freeman is working on getting the film adaptaion made.
And I want Mr Clarke's telescope.

Staticon
11th Jan 2004, 23:09
Originally posted by DEEKMAN
@staticon - did you read the entire Rama saga?
I have, indeed. Whilst I enjoyed the whole series, I still have a little regret that the story wasn't left at the end of the first book.
The way that you finished the book with as many, if not more, questions un-answered as you started with was, IMHO, a genius masterstroke. :)

Originally posted by Arctic_Wolf
2001: A space Odyssey
Although I still have no clue as to what the end was about. . .
The ending is an alegorical representation of the death and re-birth of an individual into a next-generation being. Hence, the Star-Child. :)

Arctic_Wolf
11th Jan 2004, 23:35
You know, that still doesn't help. I would get that if all it showed was the thing, but they have all that kaleidoscope effect and then the white room with him getting older every sequence

JSWY
12th Jan 2004, 15:35
Reading the book might shed some light on the ending of the film, but effectivly as staticon said, he evolves into a higher being, which is seen right at the end of the film.

I actually enjoyed the entire series:

2010 - I liked both the film and the book, although it didn't have the same philisopical weight that 2001 had.

2069 - It investigated what happened on Europa, the forbidden planet after the forming of the second sun.

3001 - A vision of what future holds for humanity as Floyd is found drifting on the outskirts of the solar system and is still alive. A bit like Futurama really :) There is one line which really puts the entire view into perspective...

"In the 21st century, a disk could store an artists work. In the 31st centuary, the disk could store the artist as well"

Staticon
18th Jan 2004, 22:28
I agree with you, JSWY, to a certain point. The entire 2001 series, like the Rama books, are well written and excellent stories. I just wish that they had been left as single books rather than going on to explore and explain.
Real life tends to leave you with more questions than answers and both of these books mirrored real life until the sequels started arriving.
I have read them all avidly and, undoubtedly, will read them again and again, but still wish that the mystery had been preserved. :)