PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Square Enix Game?

ilikeikeilikeik
3rd Jun 2012, 21:10
Here's mine with only one game per franchise.

10. Chrono Cross
9. Xenosaga Episode III
8. Fire Emblem
7. Tales of Phantasia
6. The World Ends With You
5. Nier
4. Grandia
3. The Legend of Dragoon
2. Kingdom Hearts 2
1. Final Fantasy IX

tiaeltaru
3rd Jun 2012, 22:17
Not in any particular order, following the 1 game/franchise rule as well.

Final Fantasy VI

Dragon Quest VII

Suikoden II

Chrono Cross

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Xenoblade

Radiant Historia

Valkyria Chronicles

Lufia 2

Phantasy Star IV

member_10400185
3rd Jun 2012, 22:38
1. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete

2. Final Fantasy IX

3. Jade Cocoon

4. Suikoden V

5. Final Fantasy Tactics

6. Valkyria Cronicles

7. Dragon Age

8. Front Mission 3

9. Xenogears

10. Digimon: Digital World (PS1)

double0nothing
4th Jun 2012, 19:50
1. Kingdom Hearts II
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Dragon Quest VIII
4. Pokemon Emerald
5. Final Fantasy IV
6. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
7. The World Ends With You
8. Final Fantasy X
9. Dark Souls
10. Final Fantasy XII

girlgamer23
4th Jun 2012, 19:55
1.FFVII

2.FFX

3.FFVIII

4.FFXIII

5.FFX-2

6.FFXIII-2

7.Dynasty Warriors

8.Warriors Orochi

9.Samurai Warriors

10.FF Type-0 once it comes outhttp://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-yell.gif

member_10085059
4th Jun 2012, 21:38
1. Final Fantasy X & X-2 (I always put them as a set)

2. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

3. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

4. Final Fantasy IX

5. Final Fantasy VIII

6. Legend Of Legaia

7. FFVII: Crisis Core

8. Kingdom Hearts 2

9. Chrono Cross

10. Lost Odyssey

Exentryk
5th Jun 2012, 00:49
1. Xenogears

2. Final Fantasy 8 (My first FF, or RPG for that matter)

3. Kingdom Hearts Series (I, II, Re:COM, BBS - the ones I've played)

4. Final Fantasy X

5. Final Fantasy 7 - Crisis Core (PSP)

I wont rate the rest, but they include Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy 9, Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy 6. Currently playing Xenoblade on the Wii, and it might end up in the top 5 somewhere.

member_10027469
5th Jun 2012, 00:50
In no particular order after the first one:

FFVII

Tales of Phantasia

Xeno Gears

Tales of the Abyss

Star Ocean 3

Star ocean 1

Final Fantasy VI

Tales of Graces f (just added)

FF tactics advanced 2

Star Ocean 2

(It pains me to make a list like this as there are MANY others I enjoyed as much as these titles)

member_10766858
5th Jun 2012, 13:40
Legend of Dragoon

Final Fantasy IX

Wild arms

legend of mana

chrono trigger

shadow hearts

kingdom hearts

Final Fantasy VII

xenosaga ep.1

these games i like all the same.

member_10740464
5th Jun 2012, 13:55
Here's my top 10 RPGs from SQUARE ENIX of all time: ^_^ But I'm still not sure so far... ^.^'

1- Vagrant Story ^.^

2- Final Fantasy V ^.^

3- Valkyrie Profile 2 ^.^

4- Final Fantasy XII ^.^

5- Crono Cross ^.^

6- Star Ocean: The Last Hope ^.^

7- Final Fantasy XIII-2 ^.^

8- Front Mission 4 ^.^

9- Legend of Mana ^.^

10- Unlimited Saga ^.^

iambasho777
18th Jun 2012, 20:16
So I recently got a backwards compatible PS3, and so far the only games I have for it are FFXIII, FFXIII-2, and my PS1/2 library (FF7/7DoC/8/9/10/10-2/12, KH1/2/Re:Chain, DQ8, Chrono Cross, and a couple other non-SE games). I would really like to expand my PS3 library, but other great PS1 or PS2 RPGs are good too. My question, what are your favorite RPGs for PS3? Although I would prefer SE games I will take any suggestions (with two exceptions: one, if it's a shooter because I just can't get in to those, and two, if it was made by Bethesda, any company willing to release an incomplete piece of **** like Skyrim where you can't do anything without encountering at least three progress halting bugs will receive no support from me again).

member_10829610
18th Jun 2012, 20:36
I liked Disgaea 3, and I'm sure Disgaea 4 was even better (it's a strategy-based RPG with a humorous story). To be honest, I didn't really have any favored RPGs for the PS3.

RatchetGuyClanks
18th Jun 2012, 20:49
Check out Gamestop's website and see if anything interests you in the means of RPGs for the PS3, because other than FF I can't really recommend anything in the means of RPGs since I haven't been able to play too many. Just...wait for FF XIV I guess, lol. I've heard that Tales of Grace F is pretty good, but I've never played it myself.

-RGC

Zench-XIII
18th Jun 2012, 21:01
I liked Disgaea 3, and I'm sure Disgaea 4 was even better (it's a strategy-based RPG with a humorous story). To be honest, I didn't really have any favored RPGs for the PS3.

Disgaea 4 is the current PS3 game I'm playing, and I can't compare it to previous Disgaea games since it's my first one (I played Infinite on PSP but it was a visual novel). But it is awesome and so funny, and has a lot of things I'm still learning.

Back to the thread: Hard to say for me, since the only RPGs I have are FFXIII, XIII-2 and VII on my PS1 library, and Disgaea 4 of course. But I wanna get my hands on Eternal Sonata.

iambasho777
18th Jun 2012, 21:11
Would I be able to play Disgaea 3 or 4 without playing the first two or three? Storyline is important to me, and I don't want to be lost

member_10829610
18th Jun 2012, 21:13
Would I be able to play Disgaea 3 or 4 without playing the first two or three?

Of course. Most of the main games's stories have little correlation to each other.

Zench-XIII
18th Jun 2012, 21:17
Chas is right. Each game has its own story and characters, and there's little to nothing that relates 'em. But many characters get cameos on other games, and the best example is Laharl from D1, he appears in 2, 3 and 4, and can be recruited once you defeat him. Disgaea 4 also has cameos and some DLC characters too.

member_10379979
18th Jun 2012, 22:11
While Final Fantasy is my favourite all round, no matter the game, I really enjoyed White Knight Chronicles 1 & 2 and Dragon Age: Origins for the PS3. Also, from PSN I was able to finally play Suikoden 1 and Wild Arms 1. Another set of great series I enjoyed.

Paradox_me
18th Jun 2012, 22:18
Nier
Tales of Graces f
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, due out early next year, is also one to keep an eye on.

iambasho777
19th Jun 2012, 12:42
Thank you all for replying, I'll check these out next time I make it to the city

member_10085059
19th Jun 2012, 23:20
I really liked Star Ocean and White KNight Chronicles (if you get the second one, it includes both games. The Disgaea games are awesome too. Also, the Atelier series and Hyperdimension Neptunia, although those are too niche for some people's tastes.

19th Jun 2012, 23:53
There's been a couple really interesting RPGs on the PS3, but unfortunately far too few.

My list would be:

Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2: Needs no explanation.

Eternal Sonata: Unfortuantely never finished it, but it has a great art style and an interesting premise. The combat system has a great blend of turn/action based, that smoothly opens up to the player through the game.

Tales of Grace F: I haven't played many Tales games, but I enjoyed this. The character development and drama seemed really well done and I can tell the combat could get really addictive. I personally think Tales games are much better presented on console then portable (didn't care for Tales of the Abyss 3D but really enjoyed Graces)

Catherine: Though not an RPG, it'll appeal to RPG gamers for sure. Has a really tense story, coupled with interesting and solid gameplay that you can really feel yourself improve at. If you didn't know, it's a game done by the Persona team to test out HD development.

member_10074094
20th Jun 2012, 22:48
You said you can't get into shooters, but I'll throw Mass Effect out there anyways... easily one of the best story's I've encountered this generation from an rpg, even if it is third person shooter.

Also, Dragon Age. Haven't played the second one, but the first is a good rpg and isn't a shooter... its actually similar in a lot of ways to FF12 (except position matters a bit more and theres four characters instead of 3, and a class system.. in other words, its more complicated). It is "dumbed down" for consoles however (difficulty modes are easier, and friendly fire is off on normal mode when its only off on easy mode for PC). Since consoles have fewer controls, it kind of makes sense.

Tales of Graces has been highly enjoyable for me thus far. I've also heard Valkyria Chronicles is good, and if you do a search for this on Amazon you can find a ton of related games that you might want to check reviews out for.

As for Skyrim... it didn't have an open beta that I know of and, since it was lacking this kind of mass testing and its a sandbox game, it was hard to test what would happen in every different circumstance. Many of the major issues are gone or can be worked around now (especially on PC) and the ones that remain are left intentionally because of comedic value (Giant's hit you once and you go flying into space). My own experience with Skyrim was poor at first as well (it crashed every 30 minutes) but I enjoyed the game enough that I didn't care, and have logged 250 hours in it now :/. My copy, however, is PC, i'm not sure about the consoles but the game is inferior on consoles anyways, mostly because of mods, but I've found PC games to be superior lately anyways because of the outdated hardware in the consoles.

Summoner
21st Jun 2012, 22:03
Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Tales of Graces f

Skyrim

Ni No Kuni:Wrath of the White Witch

Disgaea 4

Tales of Xillia

Final Fantasy XIII

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Final Fantasy XIII: Versus

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Castiel
1st Jul 2012, 17:26
SKYRIM!! No question.

member_10077577
1st Jul 2012, 18:19
You said you can't get into shooters, but I'll throw Mass Effect out there anyways... easily one of the best story's I've encountered this generation from an rpg, even if it is third person shooter.

Also, Dragon Age. Haven't played the second one, but the first is a good rpg and isn't a shooter... its actually similar in a lot of ways to FF12 (except position matters a bit more and theres four characters instead of 3, and a class system.. in other words, its more complicated). It is "dumbed down" for consoles however (difficulty modes are easier, and friendly fire is off on normal mode when its only off on easy mode for PC). Since consoles have fewer controls, it kind of makes sense.

Yea, I [used to] like BioWare for their games. Now I'm pretty cautious. I heard that Dragon Age II was definently not as good as Dragon Age: Origins, but you can try it.

MusashitheMaster
2nd Sep 2012, 15:11
Hey. I heard a lot about the heated debate about which SE game series is better. Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. Personally, I;m not a big fan of Dragon Quest cause of its first person somewhat battle system, the ridculous time to level up in the DQ series and having to deal with powerful monsters. So basically, I perfer Final Fantasy cause of its rich story telling, epic iconic characterss like Terra and Cloud Stifle from FF6 and FF7 and the cute Chocobos.

Which game series of Square Enix is best? Tell me your toughts.

Grimoire
2nd Sep 2012, 15:21
That depends on what kind of games/gameplay you are interested in. I'd say they are just as good. Both series are selling well.

(On a side note, I personally would not have the time to play the DQ games, since I am more interested in good stories.)

MusashitheMaster
2nd Sep 2012, 15:24
True. Both series are selling well, but I don't like it when someone I disliked say that FF series is stupid and DQ is better. I can name one guy who say those things, but I won't say who it is. Know what I mean?

Grimoire
2nd Sep 2012, 15:28
Simply don't take it to heart. ^_-

Besides, everyone is free to decide what they like and don't like. As long as the say "I don't like this and that because of this and that", and not "X is stupid. Everyone knows that!" I see nothing wrong with it.

MusashitheMaster
2nd Sep 2012, 15:30
Yeah, I know.

Grimoire
2nd Sep 2012, 15:45
Anyway, as long as you are fond of something there is no reason to feel blue just because someone else said they dislike it, right? There are far better ways to spend your time - use it on doing something enjoyable instead.

Still, you could always keep a tally of everyone's votes?

Which game series do you prefer, and why?

KINGDOM HEARTS - VI

FINAL FANTASY - IV

DRAGON QUEST - II

DUNGEON SIEGE - I

member_10628951
2nd Sep 2012, 18:32
Kingdom Hearts ^_-

Currently. Versus can bring me back to the Final Fantasy fold.

vitornavarrete
2nd Sep 2012, 18:41
Gotta agree with PshycoNinja on this one. Kingdom Hearts is what brought me back from MMORPG on pc to consoles.

Syn
3rd Sep 2012, 04:47
Kingdom Hearts right now, Birth by sleep was my transition game to full KH fandom, waiting on Type-0 and Versus to bring me back to the FF side of things, also we got Dream drop distance which is awesome, so definetly KH.

On a side note, good to see you around Vitor, you kinda vanished from the threads for bit.(or maybe I missed the threads you are active in)

tiaeltaru
3rd Sep 2012, 13:45
Dragon Quest is my all time favorite series, from playing both the original Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy on the NES.

And most DQ stories are good, they're just more the light-hearted, charming "rescue the princess, save the world" type, but are executed well.

Though Dragon Quest V is one of my favorite stories in RPGs, as is VII.

I do enjoy FF as well.

Grimoire
3rd Sep 2012, 14:04
"And most DQ stories are good, they're just more the light-hearted, charming "rescue the princess, save the world" type, but are executed well."

You got me there. ^_-

No story is not worth hearing.

Persiangato
3rd Sep 2012, 18:51
Hm, have to say I enjoy the Dragon Quest series more than Final Fantasy. But that might be due to how I feel FF quality has dropped lately. If you had asked me when FFXI was first released, I'd be singing a different song.

iambasho777
3rd Sep 2012, 20:35
Overall I think that the KH series is the best of the three, but I've only ever had the opportunity to play DQ8 while I've played almost every FF title and every localized KH title that SE made. FFs of the recent years (excluding XII) have been more meh than great, while I find KH improving with every entry.

VINCE12
3rd Sep 2012, 20:53
I've never played Dragon Quest but heard about it on countless occassions. Apparently, it's more popular than Final Fantasy in Japan 0_0. I've been planning of purchasing a Dragon Quest game, where should I start?

Playing KH3D, it's sooooo good http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif

picamaispi29
3rd Sep 2012, 21:16
Kingdom Hearts is my favorite, but I still love the other two. Final Fantasy (not #1, I'm too young for that) was the first RPG that I played where I actually knew what an RPG was. It was what turned me from a casual gamer to someone practically addicted to videogames and what later got me into KH. The series quality has decreased as of late, especially story-wise (I mean what was up with the depressing ending of FF 13-2, where ***spoilers*** Serah dies, Lighting turns to crystal, and apparently Caius accomplished what he ment to do after all ***end spoilers***) but I stilll have hope and will stick with my second favorite series until it turns good again, no matter how long that takes. Dragon Quest games are cool although I've only played 3 of them (due to a lack of systems to play the others on). The games are in the style of old RPGS but all of them have a different feel from game to game too. My favorite was DQ IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, although it's a bit diffferent from the others, one of the main reasons I loved the system for getting into battles (never seen it anywhere else, just in this game) and it has never-ending end-game content. I bought it 3 years ago and I still play it a little bit here and there (same save file) to this day. The characters are almost non-existant but everything else makes up for it. You can get DQ off of Amazon.com, its probably easiest to get it off there because the older games aren't in stores anymore, but every Gamestop that I've gone to has at least 1 or 2 copies of the 3 newest games in the used games section. Hope that helps. :)

iambasho777
3rd Sep 2012, 21:19
I've never played Dragon Quest but heard about it on countless occassions. Apparently, it's more popular than Final Fantasy in Japan 0_0. I've been planning of purchasing a Dragon Quest game, where should I start?

DQVIII will probably be the easiest to come by at a used game store, it's for PS2 and it's the only DQ title my favorite shop ever has. I think IV, V, and IX are all on DS so those might be possible to get as well. I believe that I-III were released as a collection at some point for PSP or DS, but I can't find anything on that at the moment. I've never heard anything about VI or VII, but apparently VI was SNES with a NDS port and VII was the last title to be localized under the old name (Dragon Warrior), and was PS1.

Looking at the online store here, you can get new copies of DQVIII (PS2) and DQIV (NDS), but I can't find any others there.

member_10074094
3rd Sep 2012, 23:59
I'm going t have to say FF is my preferred title. DQ is a bit too grindy, I enjoed DQ5 but never enough to finish it, and DQ9 I never get past the first city. As for KH... a recent post I've seen around the internet described many game companies as if they were friends, and called Nintendo that friend who never really grew up; they were fun to hang out with, but if you want to do other things, you have other friend's available. This fits my view on Kh perfectly, as it is childish and charmingly so, and is a great and fun distraction from more serious gaming and storylines, but it does not often fit my entertainment needs.

johnscot65
7th Sep 2012, 05:17
i just got done with ds3. and it rocked!!theres not a whole lot of games out there where i am cursing at the developers but this ones finale was definately challenging.also the plot and storyline were excellent,bravo.i am usually on lotro but have been taking a break untill this week waiting for the expansion t come online and have been playing puter games for about twenty years so i kina have high standards lol if any of square employees happen to read this thank you very much for putting out a quality product!!if ya ever need someone for qa testing or beta on ds4 let me know lol,sorry not a big ff fan because not a big fan of anime or anime style art peace and thanks again for such a great game

alanman178
15th Sep 2012, 22:18
I love both FF and DQ. FF has the edge with FF7. I think the 90's had the best rpgs. Most of the games these days just don't have that FEEL that the older ones had. For me, the rpgs of the 90's had more to offer.

selodaoc
24th Jun 2013, 17:53
How many would support a kickstarter project to make SE a game to Playstation 4 for us that like oldschool JRPGs like FF1-7, Lufia, BoF1-2, Chrono Cross etc? :)

* ATB combat - Player team on one side, Enemy team on other side, no running around on the battlefield. AP accumulating.
* Materia system like FF7
* All characters can be any class, not limited like FF9 etc
* Top view angle like FF1-10
* No Cellshading
* No "Chibi" characters like DS FF
* 2.5D, only have to be more colorful version of FF6 Graphics.
* World map, towns and shops
* Alot of minigames, like FF7 Gold Saucer, Chocobo Stable and FFX Blitzball
* Avoidable monsters like in Chrono Cross
* Focus on gameplay and characters, not spelleffects and clothes.
* Oldschool music, dont need orchestras for everything.

Something made with Disgaea Graphicsstyle in FF6 setting, with the best things picked from the other FF games before 11, Chrono series, Lufia etc.

I would buy a PS4 just for that game.

Grimoire
4th Dec 2014, 17:04
10,000 Fans Chime in On Their Favorite PlayStation Games (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-12-04/10000-fans-chime-in-on-their-favorite-playstation-games/.81686) (Anime News Network)
- To celebrate the 20th anniversary of PlayStation, over 10,000 Japanese video game fans were asked to chime in on some of their all-time favorite games.

moooka
5th Dec 2014, 06:49
Fav 10 games:
Chrono Trigger & Cross
Dragon Quest VII & VIII
Final Fantasy VI~X
Xenogears

FantasyDreamKey
5th Dec 2014, 14:29
I got lots of games I like...but this is about Square Enix so...

Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13 and let's not forget 4

Final Fantasy Dissiadia and Dissiadia 012

The Kingdom Hearts series

Dragon Quest 8 and 9

Spin offs of Final Fantasy 10, 7, 12 and 4

ArekuDark
9th Dec 2014, 19:00
Hey guys sorry this is a little off topic but seeing a lot of you here are big Final Fantasy fans just wanted to let ya know I've started a petition to gather signatures for a remake of Before Crisis FF7 following the posts back in 2010 from Tabata who said he would like to make a remake of it. Well this is to gather signatures and see if fans want it and maybe show SE that this is worth making ^^ If you share the sentiment sign and share^^ http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/BCFF7

square_art
15th Dec 2014, 16:09
I love a lot of square enix (and square soft) games, FF7 was the biggest inspiration in my life when I was a teenager. Since then a lot of things have been changed but I still love square enix games and they still inspire and amaze me! I've completed all non-online FF games. It's quite complicated to do a short list, for me even 10 is too short! But it will be nicer for a reader do not make a huge list) After great deliberation here is my top 10! (And the most memorable reasons!)
# 10) Parasite eve (Unique and nice action-rpg gameplay, memorable story, beautiful music)
# 9) FF 12 (Beautiful and huge world, nice sort of mmorpg gameplay in non-online rpg)
# 8) FF 7 (the story, beautiful music and pleasant to eyes graphics (even today, though it has been almost 20 years since the release!), memorable characters and materia-magic system)
# 7) FF 13 lightning returns (very nice and unique action-rpg gameplay, lots of custom outfits, beautiful music and graphics)
# 6) FF 13 (an amazing story and very memorable characters, the most beautiful graphic I've ever seen, interesting gameplay)
# 5) FF Tactics (very exciting gameplay which requires to use mind wisely, very nice music and story, great class system)
# 4) FF Tactics Advanced (the best class system I've seen, amazing gameplay and music, lots of quests)
# 3) Valkyrie profile (the best action-rpg gameplay, huge variety of playable characters, true rpg, beautiful music)
# 2) FF 10 (perfect game difficulty, best ps2 graphics, exciting and memorable story, interesting characters, great gameplay)
# 1) FF 9 (perfect game difficulty, best ps1 graphics, the most memorable fantasy story, amazing gameplay and skills system, lots of nice and interesting mini-games, huge world, beautiful music, noticeable hard-work of talented team!)
Cheers!!!

KaboomKrusader
15th Dec 2014, 20:33
My favorite is the Dragon Quest series in general.

...It's a sucky time to be me.