PDA

View Full Version : Issues with the Nvidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra?

AlmightyZenTaco
9th Dec 2003, 19:23
I've got myself quite a nice setup here. And, because of this, I assumed Deus Ex would run smoothly and perfectly. But unfortunatly that isn't the case.

The game causes my massively impressive machine to shudder and whir, and then freeze. I can't even get past the darn load screen.

Anyway, here are the specs. Tell me if anyone knows of a way to fix this.

Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz processer
2 GB of Ram
Nvidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra with updated drivers and Direct X 9
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card with updated drivers

Well, there you have it. Has anyone with similar specs been as afflicted as I? Let me know, cause I really want to play me game, seeing as how I bought it and all.

Also, I tried going back to my original 3d excellerator drivers, and I had some success. Instead of just freezing, I can actually play the game. The only trouble is the lighting goes all whacky, and if you move, the screen greys out ten out of every sixty frames, so it looks like my main character has a blinking problem. Quite annoying. Plus, it makes the game totally unplayable.

Anyway, thanks for reading this, maybe someone can help.

Sincerely, and with much anticipation,

The AlmightyZenTaco
Lord of The underworld and Spicy Mexican Cuisine.

tzaddik18
9th Dec 2003, 19:35
hmmm...have you been fiddling with your BIOS settings recently. I would return all of your BIOS settings to their defaults and try then to run the game. If it works, then youve caught the culprit. After that you can begin to enable your tweaks one by one and figure out which setting is causing you the problem (it very well may be enabling video ram caching or disabling the video bios cacheing)--

Try toggling these setting one by one--

let me know if this helps.

TheDragonReborn_kr_
9th Dec 2003, 19:47
I know my BIOS at default changes my CPU FSB back to 100 which makes my CPU almost half the speed of what its supposed to be....

Default settings dont always work...

AlmightyZenTaco
9th Dec 2003, 19:48
Unfortunately, that isn't the case. My BIOS is still a virgin. ;)

But, what tweaks in particular did you have in mind? I've been screwing around with alot of nonesense trying to get this to work, but it just won't budge. Any suggestions would be excellent.

-The Taco of Zen Almightyness.

BadMojo
9th Dec 2003, 23:30
Taco:

There is nothing wrong with your system, other than the fact that you have an FX card. ;)

I have the same card and a very similar system, see my sig below. Halo also runs poorly for me, although not THIS poorly, heh. It has to do with the pixel shading performance (or lack of) for these cards. I tried the 53.03 drivers today, and they make no difference.

To be fair, the game runs similarly with both Nvidia and Ati hardware, but the Ati folks seem to be able to run at 1024x768 (I'm at 800x600).

I'll say this though: If you can get over the poor performance (I finally did, but I got banned from here first for making my feelings known), then the game is really fun. I have finished it and will now wait for a patch or next gen hardware so I can play it the way it was "meant to be played" :D

wintermute9
10th Dec 2003, 08:46
DAMN, Mojo, that's one hell of a system. And you're still getting ****ty framerates? I'm building a new system for IW, with a 2.6c that I plan on OCing to 3.0, but my vid card is my old GF4 Ti4200. Looks like I don't have that much to look forward to!

BadMojo
10th Dec 2003, 18:28
Originally posted by wintermute9
DAMN, Mojo, that's one hell of a system. And you're still getting ****ty framerates? I'm building a new system for IW, with a 2.6c that I plan on OCing to 3.0, but my vid card is my old GF4 Ti4200. Looks like I don't have that much to look forward to!

You know, the game does perform poorly, but if you were a DX fan, get the game anyway and play it. It is so good to have another DX experience, even one that runs like this! I had a blast.

You will get better framerates than me, even, as your card does PS 1.1. When I play Halo, I set it to use PS 1.1 instead of 1.4, as my card has horrible 1.4 performance. Sadly, I cannot change the PS in DXIW, so I'm stuck with a lower framerate.

Good luck!

avonnied
10th Dec 2003, 19:04
Nvidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra with updated drivers and Direct X 9

please give version info..

latest Nvidia drivers are 53.03

i am still using hte 52.16 drivers successfully

make sure you are running 9.1b for directx

that would be the place i would start.. even though you might think you have the latest directx goto microsoft's site and reinstall it (i've had instances where driver installation has ruined the directx setup)..

the other thing i would then look at is if you have anything OCed and or overheating..

where you say your computer itself makes a funny noise (a whir and a shudder) i might suspect the video card of overheating and or maybe even a part of the game has been installed on some bad sectors..

also double check your audigy drivers that they are the latest..

and just as a side note are you using ACPI with your audigy and geforce card? (advanced control power interface)

reason i say is i have a very similar setup

AMD2200+
1.6GbRam
FX5900
Audigy2

BadMojo
10th Dec 2003, 19:42
Originally posted by avonnied
make sure you are running 9.1b for directx

FYI, the is NO DX 9.1b.

The latest version is 9.0b.