PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL API's and Testing

KR_Dragon
9th Dec 2003, 11:42
Okay everyone... I've messed around with the Unreal engine a few times... I dont have the game, but anyone is welcome to try this....

Under the: [Engine.Engine] - add this line under the RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice

add this line....

RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

then, put a semicolon in the beginning of the D3D entry so that it looks like this:

;RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

Then scroll down to the [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice] line and after the group, add this group.

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
DetailTextures=True
HighDetailActors=True
UsePrecaching=True
UseCompressedLightmaps=True
UseTrilinear=True
UseStencil=False
MaxTextureUnits=8
VARSize=32
ReduceMouseLag=False

Now it should look like this: (this is taken from a different engine, but you get the idea)

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
DetailTextures=True
HighDetailActors=True
SuperHighDetailActors=True
UsePrecaching=True
UseTrilinear=True
AdapterNumber=-1
ReduceMouseLag=True
UseTripleBuffering=False
UseHardwareTL=True
UseHardwareVS=True
UseCubemaps=True
DesiredRefreshRate=60
UseStencil=False
Use16bit=False
Use16bitTextures=False
MaxPixelShaderVersion=255
UseVSync=False
LevelOfAnisotropy=2
DetailTexMipBias=0.8
DefaultTexMipBias=-0.5
UseNPatches=False
TesselationFactor=1.0
CheckForOverflow=False
AvoidHitches=False
OverrideDesktopRefreshRate=False

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
DetailTextures=True
HighDetailActors=True
SuperHighDetailActors=True
UsePrecaching=True
UseTrilinear=True
UseStencil=False
MaxTextureUnits=8
VARSize=32
ReduceMouseLag=False

Okay, now you will need the OpenGL API DLL file... There are three ways you can do this:

1. Download it: http://uz.unrealadmin.org/OpenGLDrv.dll.uz2 - then rename it to OpenGLDrv.dll and stick it in the \System directory of DE:IW

2. Copy the opengl32.dll file from C:\Windows\System32 or C:\windows\System directory into the DE:IW \System folder, then rename it to OpenGLDrv.dll

3. Copy it form a RECENT game that uses some form of the Unreal[Extreme] engine... Here are some examples: Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal2, SplinterCell, Enter the Matrix (i think), Rainbow Six 3, and I think you could even try Enclaves version of the file if there is one. I just formatted my drive so I dunno.

I dont know how related all of these dll's are to each other (ie, different entry points = no working file), but its worth a try. Hell, you guys are willing to try just about anything.

PS: Dont get mad if it doesnt work... This worked for me a while back when Direct3D didnt work... But, I guarentee nothing.

Good Luck,

oOBruceFunyOo
9th Dec 2003, 15:13
Thanx KR_Dragon
Hum is first time I can see this manipulation solution!
:)
Very usefull! :p

TheDragonReborn_kr_
9th Dec 2003, 16:05
Hey no problem... Always willing to help out fellow frustrated users. :)

Venatyr
9th Dec 2003, 23:31
I've had no luck getting this to work.

Running dx2.exe will just cause an error dialog to appear.

avonnied
10th Dec 2003, 03:04
yup same here..

no such luck.. errors out

Probably because the DX9.1 Specific features the game is trying to use..

thegrommit
10th Dec 2003, 03:21
Ion rewrote the Unreal renderer for DX2 to provide the lighting functionality they needed. Given that functionality isn't in any other Unreal based game......

TheDragonReborn_kr_
12th Dec 2003, 10:03
What about Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament 2003, (especially) Splinter Cell, not forget to mention other games based off of the Unreal Engine... Those games especially splinter cell have some pretty complex shadow API's.

thegrommit
12th Dec 2003, 13:37
Originally posted by TheDragonReborn_kr_
What about Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament 2003, (especially) Splinter Cell, not forget to mention other games based off of the Unreal Engine... Those games especially splinter cell have some pretty complex shadow API's.

But not the same API's as Ion used.

avonnied
12th Dec 2003, 18:12
i'll bet that Splinter cell also has a custom renderer

TheDragonReborn_kr_
13th Dec 2003, 19:10
About all of them are modded in one form or another to get specific features... But I do know all of the Unreal based games (Unreal, Unreal Gold, UT, UT2003, Unreal 2) all can work with OpenGL, but with mixed results. Unreal Gold performed about 10 times better with OpenGL than DirectX... You never know.