PDA

View Full Version : nVidia Vs Ati

magnumPI
8th Dec 2003, 22:49
In your opinion and experience, which brand graphics card would be best suited to run DX:IW, not taking into account overall system power or O/S, etc...

-Jim

Sloan_Chanston
9th Dec 2003, 01:30
I use to be a complete nVidia fanboy, but now I'm running with an ATI Radeon 9800 XT because ATI's products offered DirectX 9 support first. I still regard the GeForce series as excellent cards, though. Its a tie in my opinion.

thegrommit
9th Dec 2003, 02:06
Despite being a game thats part of nvidias "TWIMTBP" program, it seems the game runs equally "well" (i.e. poorly) on both ATI and Nvidia hardware :D

If you're thinking of upgrading, whats your budget? Whats your current system?

If you're just trying to start another ATI/Nvidia flamewar :rolleyes:

DivineRight
9th Dec 2003, 03:04
Ever since NVidia merged with 3dfx they have been doomed, DOOMED.

/me runs away.

El Padrino
9th Dec 2003, 03:26
A lot of people advised me to buy a Radeon 9600 Pro or XT instead of a GeForce 4 5600 or 5700. I ended up getting the Pro for $120 to replace my MX 440. That's when a whole slew of problems popped up. Getting my computer to even run was a complete pain. Morrowind stopped working after I got off the boat (and saw the GORGEOUS water), and Neverwinter Nights needs hardware acceleration dropped down a notch or it'll freeze. It was funny how all the people that were so supportive of the Radeons were all "Oh, yeah, crappy ATI drivers strike again" when I asked for help.

After a whole lot of work, though, I'm not too disappointed with my purchase. It was cheap and it runs IW.

k0diak
9th Dec 2003, 03:28
If your using a compatible ATI card try these drivers. http://www.dna-drivers.nl/ They worked WONDERS for me :)

DXman
9th Dec 2003, 05:21
im a ati radeon 9600 pro 128mb user. DX2 runs fairly smooth for me. I've been playing for about 3 hours straight. ATI has my vote. I experienced one problem though, when i tried to load my game, my comp freezes. First time this happened. I say it's the game problem itself, not the video card.

KR_Dragon
9th Dec 2003, 09:09
I've had both and nVidia was the only one that had both performance and stability... Ati had performance, but stability wise, they are $hit.

Johannes
9th Dec 2003, 10:04
I updated my graphics card from ATI Radeon 9100 to Radeon 9600 Pro. Ever since this game has run smoothly with all settings on high and with 1028*840 resolution...before the update I was be able to barely run the game with the lowest settings and with 800*600 resolution.

The card I purchased was Gigabyte Radeon 9600 Pro with 128 mb DDR ram...So far I´m very happy with this purchase.

My full specs:
Win XP Pro
Asus mainboard (can´t remember the whole name)
512 DDR
ATI Radeon 9600 PRO
Creative 4.1 Digital (crap I know, but works fine)
(+ all the other stuff, which shouldnt affect the performance)

Tahiro
9th Dec 2003, 10:25
Both dont work as they should on DX2.

magnumPI
9th Dec 2003, 10:27
A lot of people advised me to buy a Radeon 9600 Pro or XT instead of a GeForce 4 5600 or 5700. I ended up getting the Pro for $120 to replace my MX 440. That's when a whole slew of problems popped up. Getting my computer to even run was a complete pain. Morrowind stopped working after I got off the boat (and saw the GORGEOUS water), and Neverwinter Nights needs hardware acceleration dropped down a notch or it'll freeze. It was funny how all the people that were so supportive of the Radeons were all "Oh, yeah, crappy ATI drivers strike again" when I asked for help.

El Padrino, this is the exact predicament im facing! so would the ATi drivers be a big decider for you if you could make your decision again?

PS, i didnt even know nVidia vs ATi flamewars existed!:eek:

thanks,

-Jim

OldScho0l
9th Dec 2003, 14:44
I have the same opinion as Sloan_Chanston!

skynet
9th Dec 2003, 23:39
Hi all,

I was always a ATI fan but when the geforce came out i was sold! (Geforce 2 GTS) Ive owned them all from GF2 GTS till 4Ti and then ATI came with their 9700 Pro and i was sold again :) and know using a ATI FireGL X1@ 410mhz core and 356mhz mem and all games work good!

3D Marks 2K3 = 6120 (doesnt say anything!)

ATi rulez @ this moment!
All FX Cards suck ##i know, its my job to know :)
In real games Atis overrule FX cards ( and i mean fully DX9 Games!)

Sorry for my crappy english, crazy dutchman!

SouthernBuckeye
10th Dec 2003, 02:08
I changed from Nvidia to ATI after a 3-month-old Geforce3 Ti500 fried due to fan-failure on my older system.

The game plays fast and fine on a 50" projection HDTV mon... with one exception, the cursor doesn't draw properly (flickering badly.) But I can get over that, it doesn't affect the actual gameplay, just annoying while in Inventory or Notes. I'm using the latest DirectX 9, though and the latest Catalyst driver - 39 I think?

My system is:
2.4Ghz/800fsb
Gigabyte 8in7p 800fsb mainboard
1Ghz ddr PC2700? I think (can't remember actually)
ATI 9600pro w/128mb
ATI DVI->component video adapter
Toshiba 50" HDTV

I'm not sure what goes on behind the scenes, but I was impressed that the image didn't stretch to fill the widescreen (the HUD is circular, not ovular,) even though all the video modes are 4x3 versus 16x9? Interestingly, FS2004 is almost un-playable with this set-up.