PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard if Thief3 will use EAX3.0 (advanced EAX)?

Vanguard
8th Dec 2003, 21:47
I'm still fumbling with what to build for a new system (just the system unit). While onboard audio (ala nForce2 MCP-T with its APU) might have only 90dB signal-to-noise, I don't use my 'puter for music creation, just games (nothing else uses audio to the extent that gaming does on my system). I don't know if the difference between 90 and 98 dB is going to be heard in games (unless you get something serene like Myst and want to listen to the music and/or ambience sounds). My old Soundblaster Live! audio card only has 90dB.

The motherboard using the nForce2 MCP-T southbridge have the APU (audio processing unit) built in. This should alleviate the CPU load from processing the audio streams. Supposedly it supports DirectSound, DS3D, EAX 1.0 and 2.0, I3DL2, ASIO and OpenAL. EAX 3.0 is not listed and is an API that, I believe, is only available in the Soundblaster Audigy2. I can later disable onboard sound and use a sound card but for now I'd like to build a reasonably priced solution for upgrade. I'm just wondering if Thief3 is going to make use of the advanced positioning features in EAX 3.0. If so, and if I feel compelled to experience whatever those advanced audio artifacts may be, I then upgrade by adding an Audigy2 card (I suppose there'll be an Audigy3 by then.

I was just wondering if anyone heard if Thief3 plans to implement EAX3.0 (EAX Advanced HD). Even if it does, presumably it would still have to support EAX 2.0 for all "legacy" machines since obviously they wouldn't want to severely limit their market (which also presumes that maybe they'll do a better marketing job next time to increase sales). Now Creative has their EAX 4.0 (http://www.soundblaster.com/resources/read.asp?articleid=86). Wonder if Thief3 will support that, too!

The d*mn sound cards are getting more expensive than the motherboards (without the integrated extras, like sound)!

Huntress
9th Dec 2003, 00:59
Vanguard, have you checked the specs for Deus Ex II? They'll probably be similar for T3 I think because it's coming from the same Dev's (IoS) although supposed to be a different team, I understand they're using the same engine for both. As I looked at the specs for DEII, it's calling for Audigy 2 whatever, but I see nothing regarding the support for EAX? Most likely I should think but they've messed around so much to make DEII PC and Xbox compatible, who knows? Probably best to check the forums over there and see what might be asked about it??? Good Luck and Good Hunting!

stele
9th Dec 2003, 21:24
I just invested in an Audigy2 and a 6.1 THX speaker system, and I have been playing DE:IW. Unfortunately, positional audio seems almost non-existent, and the audio configuration settings are extremely minor. There was no way to see what audio driver it had decided to use, for example.

This is a bummer, since audio in T3 is so much more important, and I don't feel it is making adequate use of my audio hardware.

DJC
10th Dec 2003, 20:20
EAX 4.0 has been included in the latest Audigy driver update.

Lazarus
12th Dec 2003, 00:58
there's an Audigy update? Sweet! I'M on IT!
the last one I knew of is 12/30/01. not too good either. :rolleyes:
*me goes to look)

Lazarus
14th Dec 2003, 22:17
I'm having problems witht the new Audigy drivers.

EDIT::

It wasn't the drivers, it was my 20GB HDD taking a dump. after in uninstalled and reinstalled video and audio drivers.. the BOIS warned me that my HDD was failing, and to remove it pronto. So, I installed XP on my 60GB and uses all new video and audio drivers and all is well. :rolleyes: