PDA

View Full Version : pls help ...... graphic errors

pauli
8th Dec 2003, 17:33
does anybody know how to remove the grey pixels?

http://www.woh-berlin.de/pixel.jpg

system:

win98
saphire 9700 cat3.9
amd xp2000
512 ddr ram 333
sb 5.1 live

McErono
8th Dec 2003, 20:23
lots of ppl have that prob... got the same gfx card as u... Turn off the bloom effect and it should be better...

Sifer
9th Dec 2003, 19:29
I have the same problem even though I have disabled both bloom and AA. I have tweaked everything possible (at least I think), uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, the game and DirectX 9b. But still, the same bloody thing. It only starts happening after about 5-10 minutes play and if I leave it too long it will crash the machine.

I'm using Cat's 3.9 with a 9700 Pro. P4 2Ghz, 1GB RAM, Audigy Sound Card. But my new rig will be here by Friday (3Ghz :D), so if I can't fix it by then, hopefully it will be fixed with a totally fresh install of Windows on a brand spanking new machine :D

Sifer
9th Dec 2003, 19:34
Oh and I am running on WinXP and the thing that pisses me off the most is the fact that the Frame Rates are totally playable (ie 40-50fps) but this one thing is stopping me from enjoying the game to the fullest. I have also tried to run in Win2000 compatibility mode to no avail.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

pauli
10th Dec 2003, 08:21
I sent a email to the eidos support and they say that u have to set the multisampling to 1x what should solve the problem, but it does not.:(

pauli
12th Dec 2003, 13:44
i got the problem solved. i installed the dna drivers from guru3d.
the grey pixels vanished and the performance is alot better.
u can download these drivers here (http://download.guru3d.com/dna/)

Meteor_of_War
12th Dec 2003, 13:58
What exactly are these "DNA" drivers and how are they different from the Catalyst?
Are they just a third party driver?

Pooeypants
12th Dec 2003, 14:01
I've found that changing the cachesize from 1 meg to 16 actually improved performance a bit, should've got fraps to record but anyho...

I think the patch will have the actual ini. files for the PC and so we don't have to use the one which seems currently to be optimised for xbox.

McErono
12th Dec 2003, 14:43
Originally posted by Meteor_of_War
What exactly are these "DNA" drivers and how are they different from the Catalyst?
Are they just a third party driver?

its something similar to the omega driver www.omegacorner.com

Its a kind of an optimized original catalyst driver (the guy who is making those omegadrivers is member of the betatester team of ati)

dna is another optimized driver and the current one is even faster than the omega... I had 31000 aquamark3 points with the original Cat. 3.10 and with the newest dna driver (based on the cat. 3.10) I had 37000 points!!!

Pooeypants
12th Dec 2003, 15:53
Originally posted by McErono
its something similar to the omega driver www.omegacorner.com

Its a kind of an optimized original catalyst driver (the guy who is making those omegadrivers is member of the betatester team of ati)

dna is another optimized driver and the current one is even faster than the omega... I had 31000 aquamark3 points with the original Cat. 3.10 and with the newest dna driver (based on the cat. 3.10) I had 37000 points!!!
If it's that good then why doesn't ATi employ these guys? Why would their company with the massive budget keep pumping out subpar drivers? Doesn't make sense.

HunterZ
13th Dec 2003, 09:35
What I'd like to know is exactly what is different in the DNA drivers that fixes the problem? In other words, is there some hidden setting in the official ATI Catalyst drivers that can be tweaked to enable the fix?

Also, I tried setting Multisampling to 1x, Bloom to off, and in the Catalyst panel setting Anisotropic Filtering and AA to the lowest settings and application preference to on. It doesn't fix the grey pixel problem at all (in fact, there is no perceptible change in the number of erroneous grey pixels). It appears in all resolutions with all combinations of Bloom and multisampling and is horribly annoying. I can't believe that Ion Storm and Eidos didn't test the freaking game on a Radeon card at all before shipping it! Holy crap guys!

Btw, I'm using a Radeon 9700 Pro and Catalyst Call of Duty hotfix version (it's a semi-official 3.10 pre-release version).

UPDATE: I installed the latest DNA drivers, and while they greatly reduced the grey pixel effect, it was still definitely noticeable. Setting multisampling to x2 or x6 seemed to reduce the effect even more, but degrades game performance.

Sifer
13th Dec 2003, 10:44
Still does it with the latest patch and I had already tried both Omega and DNA Drivers quite a few days ago, but to no avail. Someone please help us here. I am enjoying the game so much, but the fact that I have to quit every 10 minutes unless I want a hard system crash, is rather annoying.

WTF is the problem?

Oh, and it did this in the demo also.

wambam
13th Dec 2003, 17:23
I was having the same issues until I turned off the shadows. It still appears in a couple of places but is drastically reduced.

HunterZ
13th Dec 2003, 23:07
You're right, it's definitely the shadows. I had to turn them all the way off, but once I did it made a huge difference. It also gave me enough of a performance gain to run at 1600x1200 with some multisampling.

Of course, the game would look better with shadows, but I guess that's up to ATI and Ion Storm/Eidos.

Sifer
14th Dec 2003, 03:08
Well holy ****. My VGA fan was bust, so I went out and bought an Arctic Silent VGA Cooler. Now I have NO problems whatsoever and it is running smooooooth :D

thegrommit
14th Dec 2003, 06:24
LOL - good to hear your card survived not having a fan. :eek:

Sifer
14th Dec 2003, 18:04
You want to know the craziest part? It has survived for about 3 months without one (when I started getting strange problems in other games). But they only happened on occasion.

thegrommit
14th Dec 2003, 18:17
I assume this was the cooler you got?

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8029

How easy was it to mount the cooler? Did you have any problem with the shim surrounding the graphics chip?

Sifer
14th Dec 2003, 20:21
That's the one. It only cost £9.99 and I found it VERY easy to mount. Just have to be gentle. It helps with the ventilation of the whole system, not just for the GFX. Playing Deus Ex oat 1024 with AF @ 8 and no AA with VERY smooth gameplay. This is with a 2Ghz P4 and my 9700Pro 128mb and 1Gb Mem.

But my new machine will be here in the morning - P4 3Ghz 800Mhz FSB w/2x512mb DDR400. Coolermaster Aero 4 CPU Fan, Coolermaster Wave Aluminium Case w/460W Enermax PSU and a Gigabyte Titan 875P Mobo. Can't wait to try it out :D