PDA

View Full Version : Retail worked fine - Uninstalled the demo, now retail no longer works

rvf
8th Dec 2003, 12:19
I've been running the game with no problems for the past five days. I was low on disk space, so I uninstalled some other games, including the DX-IW demo. This is the only thing I can think of that I have done since I last successfully played the game. Now when I try to run it I get a black screen with a mouse pointer that will sit there forever unless I ctrl-alt-delete (after which the game crashes) or I hit Esc a few tiems (after which it will just crash to the desktop with no error message at all).

Has anyone else had this problem, and are there any possible solutions?

My specs are:
P4 2.6Ghz
512MB RAM
Radeon 9500 Pro
SoundMAX Integrated audio (comes with Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboards).

I have the latest DirectX, drivers, etc.

jeronimo
8th Dec 2003, 15:30
I have had the same problem after having uninstalled the demo. Uninstalling the full game and then reinstalling it fixed everything, though. No more black screen with a 640*480 mouse pointer

My specs are about equal to yours (2400 clockspeed, same graphics card, 2*ram), so hopefully this fixes your problem.

Meteor_of_War
8th Dec 2003, 16:31
I uninstalled the demo after installing the full version but havent had the problem you're explaining.

Although i get frequent crashes to the desktop without error message after long periods of play.:(

Pooeypants
8th Dec 2003, 18:36
You should always uninstall the demos before installing the full game. The demo uninstall could've taken off some files required to run full game or something along the lines of that. Try reinstalling the game.

otl
9th Dec 2003, 05:23
Originally posted by Pooeypants
You should always uninstall the demos before installing the full game. The demo uninstall could've taken off some files required to run full game or something along the lines of that. Try reinstalling the game.

In general, I agree with your statement. Its exactly what I did, and I had errors on the install and the game would crash. I removed the game, re-installed the demo, then the game and it works...

go figure