PDA

View Full Version : Think You Have Seen All The Characters?

Jordan Siddall
8th Dec 2003, 12:19
Check Out NeoTokyo.

There will be citizens that you may not have seen befour!
They are just wondering around on the streets. Stop infront of them and take a good look. Or even point a Sniper rifle at them and zoom in.

YOU CAN NOT UNLOCK THEM.

DrkSnpr14
8th Dec 2003, 16:00
Even if I could unlock them, I dought I'd ever play as on of them if I had the option of being capt night instead.:D

The Skeletor
12th Dec 2003, 03:56
Hmmm never noticed, well done!

spanks
12th Dec 2003, 20:11
I've looked at mapmaker files with a hex editor. There are obvious gaps in their numbering system for bots. The game's characters are numbered from 00 to 99 (hex), however there is no character 03, 04, 10, 11, 2F, 3A, 3F, 5C, 5E, 67, 92, 93, nor anything from 46 to 59 (maybe from a mission that they removed?)

Also, the silenced luger and the silenced luger*2 (only used in Chicago and Porridge Burst) are weapon numbers 03 and 04 in a list that goes to 25 ... but weapon numbers 22, 23, and 24 (hex) are unused.

If someone can figure out the mapfile's CRC, we might be able to use all these otherwise unobtainable characters and weapons in mapmaker levels.

Please someone ... figure this out! ;)

JordanSiddall
15th Dec 2003, 11:27
What the..? What did you just say? hex? Whats that? You mean it can be possible to get the people from NeoTokyo? Could we have bricks in mapmaker?

spanks
15th Dec 2003, 14:49
Originally posted by JordanSiddall
You mean it can be possible to get the people from NeoTokyo? Could we have bricks in mapmaker? Exactly ... it's even possible that FR left some characters, weapons, or even tilesets coded into the game that we haven't seen before.

btw: Hex is short for hexidecimal (base 16 numbers). Hex editors are used to look at raw data files byte by byte.

Jordan Siddall
17th Dec 2003, 12:12
Ausome! We could get characters we have never seen befour! And tile sets.

SOMEBODY HACK OR DECODE! DO WHAT EVER YOU CAN TO GET THEM! :eek:

JordanSiddall
19th Dec 2003, 12:43
Sorry. I really wanted this thread to be at the top. This needs to be talked about!

Thezombiemessiah
19th Dec 2003, 18:57
What if you finally de-coded the things and found out that they were full and you couldn't get the civilians?

spanks
19th Dec 2003, 22:21
The problem is that the mapfiles have what's called a CRC which is a form of error checking to assure that the file isn't corrupt and hasn't been tampered with (which is exactly what we want to do). It looks to me like bytes 116C, 116D, 116E and 116F could be a standard CRC32, but it's hard to know what part of the file it's generated from. I'm also unsure if it's the only error check in the file.

It's impossible to know if the unused character numbers and weapon numbers contain hidden nuggets. At a minimum, we know (from porridge burst) that the silenced lugers are there. Also, chances are high that the brick is also there. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the pedestrians from Neo-Tokyo are there too.

the_internet_king
21st Dec 2003, 20:26
im sure u can get the silenced lugers on multiplayer, u need to play ona a old map liek one set in the past dont you and put double silenced pistols?

spanks
29th Dec 2003, 20:08
Okay, it's been cracked! :eek: :) :D I am now playing mapmaker maps not only with all the NeoTokyo pedestrians, but with invincible Golems, Barrel Robots, x-ray skeletons and more!!! Not only that, but there are a couple variations of weapons that are otherwise inaccesible.

I hate to leave you guys hanging like this, but I want to get permission from the guy who did most of the legwork on this before dropping the details on how it's done. I can tell you that you will need some method to upload/download mapfiles to and from a PC.

I am right now trying to put these new features to good use in some of my maps at ngcfs (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ngcfs/). Cube owners with either a BBA (http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/223873.asp) or a USB memory card (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=78&products_id=2359) will be the first to be able to check it out (maybe tomorrow).

I hope to be able to convert these files to XBOX and PS2 formats within the next couple weeks.

Anyway, I'll update you soon on these developments. ;)

JordanSiddall
2nd Jan 2004, 21:04
Wow!!!:eek: Thats Ausome. Can you get any pictures???