PDA

View Full Version : Found way to turn on 4.1 sound with Audigy 2 ZS

afbborn
8th Dec 2003, 03:35
Sorry if any of this is redundant. There are threads already around dealing with 3D sound, but their content varies and I wanted to start a fresh one.

I have an Audigy 2 ZS, but other than 7.1 and a 108db snr, it should be the same as an Audigy 2. I'm curious as to whether or not 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 systems would also benefit from this file change.

I changed "default.ini" to the following:

[Audio.GenericAudioSubsystem]
UseFilter=True
UseSurround=True
UseStereo=True
UseCDMusic=False
UseDigitalMusic=False
UseSpatial=True
UseReverb=False
Use3dHardware=True
LowSoundQuality=False
ReverseStereo=False
Latency=40
OutputRate=22050Hz
Channels=16
MusicVolume=160
SoundVolume=200
AmbientFactor=0.7

[ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
UseDirectSound3D=True
ReverseStereo=False
OutputRate=44100Hz
Channels=32
MusicVolume=1.0
SoundVolume=1.0
AmbientFactor=1.0
DopplerFactor=1.0

Report your results here.

Jong
8th Dec 2003, 10:38
I'm pretty sure this does nothing but fake some sound from the rear speakers based on the 2 stereo channels. Certainly on my Audigy 2 system with the latest drivers I can notice no difference.

See my post http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28900

I am trying to get a definitive statement from IS/Eidos on this.

afbborn
8th Dec 2003, 15:26
I've tested my system and it is working properly. I've had NPC's talk to me (while standing in front of me) and explosions and/or other NPC's shouting , coming from each of the rear speakers separately and I'm hearing four distinct sound sources.

Jong
8th Dec 2003, 17:49
Hmm, interesting. But then I've only got the demo (waiting for delivery on the full game). Have you tried with the demo? Does that work too?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the full game is different. I agree, it shouldnt be an Audigy 2 vs Audigy 2zs thing.

Still, we shouldnt have to do this. Hopefully Eidos/IS will reply to my original request with a definitive statement.

afbborn
8th Dec 2003, 23:06
Jong,
I downloaded and installed the demo. With the demo I only have stereo sound from my front two speakers, no sound at all from my rear speakers. If I have more time I'll do a comparison to find out what's changed. In the case of DE:IW the demo was released only one week before the game shipped. Usually a demo is released much earlier than that and has many changes/additions/debugging that goes on before the game's release. Seeing that there wasn't much time at all between demo and release, I wonder how much was changed. Obviously something was or I'd have the same positional sound with the demo as I do with the release. I will also re-check all my tweaking done to "default.ini" to see if there is anything I missed.

Where did you order from and when do you expect to receive the "full" game? Do you subscribe to Gogamer.com? I buy a lot of games from them, particularly older games that EB has dropped. Also, their "48 hour Madness Sale"s are awesome! They run continually, and notify you of the sale items and prices via email. I frequently get new release games as much as 37% off retail. For instance...They've got "Lock On:Modern Air Combat" for $29.90 (U.S.). And they have a deal where you can ship three games (and they get there in a week) for a total of $5.99!

Jong
9th Dec 2003, 09:43
I'm having to import to the UK. Still waiting for DVDBOXOFFICE to get more stock :(

GreyWing81
9th Dec 2003, 21:43
First of all, the only thing the A2ZS has that the A2 doesn't is 7.1, that's it. Every Audigy has 108db snr, even the Audigy 1.

I've set the game to enable directsound3d as well and it doesn't work. You're either imagining those "distinct" sound sources or you've got CMSS left on.

afbborn
10th Dec 2003, 01:59
GreyWing81,
No CMSS isn't on. And yes, it does work. I'll have to tell the seven other people over here for the LAN party that they're "imagining" the distinct sound sources. Where do you live? Maybe you'd like an invite to come over and "imagine" for yourself. You bring your ears and an appetite. The crow will be served broiled, okay?

P/S According to Creative's website, only the Audigy 2 ZS has 108db SNR. The Audigy 2 has 106 db SNR. Reading is fundamental.