PDA

View Full Version : Tip: For those with crash and/or going back to desktop issues

Trek234
8th Dec 2003, 01:48
Go to the video options and set the games resolution to whatever your desktop resolution is.

This solved the game sending me back to the desktop 100%.

Catman
11th Dec 2003, 14:04
I think you're on to something.

I found that by if I started the game and changed the resolution of the initial menu to the resolution of the saved games (which is the same as I use for my desktop) before I tried to load a saved game, the crashing stopped.

Eleazar
11th Dec 2003, 18:25
My res is not my desktop resolution and it still works fine. Of course, everything is heavily tweaked. The only difference I can think of is that on game boot up the videos are turned off and nothing, I mean nothing is running in the background.

Jong
12th Dec 2003, 00:04
It may be not so much about resolution and more about different refresh rates being used for your desktop, DX:IW's 640x480 default mode and whatever resolution you play in.

I had no problems at all until I was playing with refresh rates then suddently I was getting a combination of crashes to desktop and DX:IW launching in a window (all for legitimate refresh rates I must add!). Once the refresh rates used by all resolutions were the same the problem disappeared.

Also some versions of FRAPS definitely increase instability and crashes to desktop (I've seen it and its reported elsewhere)

I'm sure there may be other causes too. But you might want to try these.

Alai
12th Dec 2003, 02:24
Ever since I set the game to windows 2000 compatibility mode, I haven't had a single crash to desktop.

K^2
12th Dec 2003, 03:00
Originally posted by Alai
Ever since I set the game to windows 2000 compatibility mode, I haven't had a single crash to desktop.
Yes, that worked for me too. After switching to Win 2K compatibility I only had two crashes (one during loading of the saved game and one during bot domination).