PDA

View Full Version : changing CacheSizeMegs really helps

catass
7th Dec 2003, 17:56
I just changed CacheSizeMegs from 1 to 16 and it seemed to really help. i can play the game now at 1024x768 with multisampling set to 3 and bloom on.

Oddly enough the ini had ;was 16 in a comment next to that line. I think that was an Xbox setting. :mad:

Does anyone know if what that setting is, and if a higher setting would further increase performance?

(P4 2.0 GHz, 1 gig of ram, geforce 4 ti4400 w/128 ram)

thanks

- michelle

Trek234
7th Dec 2003, 18:43
Hi,

You can be assured it is an Xbox setting 1 meg is ridiculous for a moden PC. There is a point when cache will no longer increase performance.

Basically cache has things waiting in memory, so they don't have to be loaded on the fly.

If you want to see an example of this (and have a slow enough computer) go open your control panel. Watch the icons and notice how they all appear. Now close it and do it again. They will either appearch MUCH faster, or will already be shown immediatly when you open it.

This happens because after you open it the first time the icons are loaded in to cache, and thus take far less time to appear the 2nd time.

In DXIW you might have a cup, candy bar, and basketball already ready and waiting vs having to load them with a lower cache.

catass
7th Dec 2003, 18:49
:) thanks, i understand what cache is. i meant was that the cache size for video ram or system ram?

cyberjake
8th Dec 2003, 20:19
Please give me some directions on how to change teh cachmegs. Im not at all familiar with it but i would do anything to get this game running smooth.

-cyberjake

amd 2600
512 megs ram
geforce 6500, 256 meg

Trek234
8th Dec 2003, 22:22
Originally posted by catAAA
:) thanks, i understand what cache is. i meant was that the cache size for video ram or system ram?

I'm almost certain it is system ram.

catass
8th Dec 2003, 23:48
Originally posted by Trek234
I'm almost certain it is system ram.

sooo... I have 1 gig of system ram... how much would you say I could increase that number while it would still make a difference?

afbborn
8th Dec 2003, 23:51
I changed my cache size to 300 mb. I've used this setting this the original "Unreal Tournament". Works great.

Trek234
8th Dec 2003, 23:59
Originally posted by catass
sooo... I have 1 gig of system ram... how much would you say I could increase that number while it would still make a difference?

Not very much at all. There is a limit to what cache will do for your performance. In all actuality you will probably not see a performance increase after around 64 tops.

afbborn
9th Dec 2003, 01:32
I was mistaken, I have mine set at 256 mb. I was told by a friend who mods a lot (primarily America's Army, U.T.2003, other FPS) that if you have 512 mb ram, use 128 mb and 256 mb if you have 1 gb of ram. I've followed his advice on most things and not been steered wrong, that's how I came upon my present setting.

Random
9th Dec 2003, 02:21
Originally posted by cyberjake
Please give me some directions on how to change teh cachmegs. Im not at all familiar with it but i would do anything to get this game running smooth.

Go to the DX:IW/System folder and open the default.ini file. (You might want to backup this file before changing it. Just copy-paste the file somewhere else on your hard drive. Replace it if something goes wrong.) Find the line that says

CacheSizeMegs=1

Change to 1 to another number suggested here. With the demo, I have the number set to 32, but I don't know what's optimal.

Trek234
9th Dec 2003, 03:15
Originally posted by afbborn
I was mistaken, I have mine set at 256 mb. I was told by a friend who mods a lot (primarily America's Army, U.T.2003, other FPS) that if you have 512 mb ram, use 128 mb and 256 mb if you have 1 gb of ram. I've followed his advice on most things and not been steered wrong, that's how I came upon my present setting.

Hmmm... Are you sure he wasn't telling you what to set the AGP aperture size to?

KR_Dragon
9th Dec 2003, 09:16
Yeah, that cache size is a way too big for one program to use. 1/6 to 1/8 of your RAM will suffice... A 256MB cache is pointless.

afbborn
10th Dec 2003, 02:10
Old habits are hard to break. I tried it set at 128 and noticed no difference. Now I've got to bench my other Unreal engined games and see what they do. And yes...my AGP aperture is set to 256.

off-topic: I spent the afternoon playing various games with the fsb set to 1.2 ghz. No lock-ups with Thermaltake HSF. Hard locks with OEM HSF.

Papers
10th Dec 2003, 17:20
Wow.

I changed the cache size to 32 and the improvement was amazing.

The framerate is actually quite pleasant now.

:)

DXman
12th Dec 2003, 04:55
changing this did nothing.

dcpDarkMatter
12th Dec 2003, 05:16
Originally posted by DXman
changing this did nothing.

You sure? Did you compare before and after FPS stats? Assuming you did so, increasing the cache isn't guaranteed to do anything, but usually does. If it didn't do anything noticeable, it could be for a number of reasons.

DXman
12th Dec 2003, 07:38
yea i did. i guess this doesnt work for everyone.

TerryHau
12th Dec 2003, 11:57
Theres no way that increasing the cache will improve framerate.

All it will do is help load times, and decrease hard disk usage.

BadMojo
12th Dec 2003, 19:25
It does not help framerates, already tested with fraps.

Also, running in a window simply reverts the game to 640x480.