PDA

View Full Version : STILL can't save options

twobells
7th Dec 2003, 13:12
Hey all

Even after all the kind help on this forum i STILL can't save my options.
My 'user.ini' file in /my documents/deus ex invisible war has 'read-only' unticked and when i open the user.ini file its impossible to read it anyway as its not formatted to a standard Winblows application.

What happens is that as soon as I exit the game all my desktop icons and items are all over the place.

I cannot be expected to put up with that ffs!

Any ideas?

Twobells

Orumph
7th Dec 2003, 14:18
Your Desktop icons being all over the palce when exiting the game are due to resolution changes between your desktop and the game resolution. This is a fault of windows, not the game.

The in game settings are loaded when you load a saved game.
Due to porting from Xbox. The reason is they made those settings save in the save game files. I guess it was easier to do it that way on Xbox. Which sucks for PC.

Thief 3 will be the one that defines how well Console ports to PC are going to be. If it's done the same way as DXIW, all i can say is, Very Bad Buisness Practices. And very sad for PC gamers.

Digital Ruin
7th Dec 2003, 14:54
well put... T3 is going to be the final straw for me and others that actually pay for their games

chulett181
13th Dec 2003, 16:33
Originally posted by Orumph
Your Desktop icons being all over the place when exiting the game are due to resolution changes between your desktop and the game resolution. This is a fault of windows, not the game.

I've got the same issue with this game. While we all know that it is due to resolution differences between the game and your desktop, I disagree that this is necessarily the "fault of windows". It's an issue with the game and the way it is coded - I have quite a number of games installed and this is the only game that fails to retain the layout of my desktop icons. The patch does not resolve this - I end up having to use a utility ("WinTidy" from PCMag - works great but is an extra and unnecessary step) to restore my desktop layout after playing DXIW. It would be really nice if they would fix this...

-craig

Orumph
14th Dec 2003, 13:34
You may be right that it's not a fault of windows per se.
I have seen this in other programs as well as games.
Basicly, the registry coordinates for where the icons are before the game is started and the desktop resolution changed, is somehow not read correctly when exiting, leaving it in a mess.

I used to see this quite a bit on NT and 9x.

BTW, I won't be buying Thief 3 till it's in the bargin bin for 5$.
Same for Hitman: Contracts
Sad thing is, you'll see DX2 in that bin in a few weeks.
Basicly, Eidos/Ion Storm can kiss my ass, they won't be getting another dime from me.

jaywalker2309
14th Dec 2003, 14:43
Originally posted by Orumph
You may be right that it's not a fault of windows per se.
I have seen this in other programs as well as games.
Basicly, the registry coordinates for where the icons are before the game is started and the desktop resolution changed, is somehow not read correctly when exiting, leaving it in a mess.

I used to see this quite a bit on NT and 9x.

BTW, I won't be buying Thief 3 till it's in the bargin bin for 5$.
Same for Hitman: Contracts
Sad thing is, you'll see DX2 in that bin in a few weeks.
Basicly, Eidos/Ion Storm can kiss my ass, they won't be getting another dime from me.

Your loss not ours :)

Orumph
14th Dec 2003, 19:42
I explained assumptions already in another post.