PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking for performance

Uller
7th Dec 2003, 08:21
Has anyone unhappy with DX:IW performance been able to overclock their system to a point where they were happy with the performance?

I have overclocked my GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64Mb from 250/513 to 290/600 and seen my framerates improve, but it is still not at an acceptable level.

The rest of my system is :

Win XP Pro
P4 2.4 533 Mhz
512 Mb Ram 355 Mhz
Asus P4PE (845PE chipset)
onboard sound

The frames per second range from 15-20, so it's not quite smooth yet. I'm still in the process of experimentation, so I'll be overclocking my CPU next.

Another related question: has anyone upgraded their CPU/videocard and had it made a noticeable difference to their performance? I'm not talking about a whole bunch of new components, just the one component that has lifted system performance.

ps. I recommend the tweaking tool in the technical guide on this forum. The download page is in German, but the application itself has a German/English selection tab.

Killa4214234
7th Dec 2003, 10:38
I have
ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256 MB (Catalist 3.9 drivers)
P4 2.4 GHz (533 FSB)
ASUS P4G8X Delux (motherboard)
1024 MB RAM (Kingston)

And it lags like hell - i have 27-35 fps WITH ALL SET TO LOWEST QUALITY !!!
and i got about 100 fps in very small room or when i look at wall
there is to low video settings in this game.

Allquixotic
7th Dec 2003, 11:43
In the Catalyst Control Panel, set Anisotropic Filtering (under Direct3d custom options) to "Application Preference". In the game, set "Multisampling" under video options to 1x, and uncheck the box that says "Bloom". Finally, make sure you do, in fact, have DirectX 9b and the latest Catalyst drivers. If you still get poor framerates, post back and I will try to give you some more guidelines for optimizing performance, including BIOS settings. I use a VIA motherboard, but if ASUS uses AwardBIOS like I think they do, I'll be able to give you options to configure that SHOULD be in your bios. In the meantime, here are some other tips.

I use a Radeon 9700 (not pro) with a VIA P4X400 motherboard and P4 2.4. Performance is great. The game is very hard on your HDD; perhaps your performance could be the result of a slow or old hard drive. Do you know whether your HDD is ATA-66, ATA-100 or ATA-133? Do you remember ever changing the IDE Controller options to force the harddisk to a lower UDMA mode for compatibility? If so, this would drastically decrease performance. The problem is that the game's cache is only 1 MB, due to the pathetic storage space available on the Xbox. You can set it higher in c:\program files\deus ex - invisible war\system\default.ini, open it up in Notepad, press CTRL+F, type in "CacheSizeMegs=1" (no quotes) and replace the 1 with AT LEAST 16. Going too high can destabilize your system. I'd leave it at 16. I think this is the video ram cache size, so your card only has either 128mb or 256mb of cache, setting it to like 8000 would definitely crash your card after awhile. The second thing to try in this same file is hit CTRL+F again and type "[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]" (no quotes) and experiment with the options beneath that line, turning some things off, to get better performance. Once you find the option(s) that give you a HUGE performance boost when turned off, you can slowly start turning OTHER things back on and leave the major offenders off.

Killa4214234
7th Dec 2003, 11:55
Well i am not newb i have all that settings indrivers already and my bios in configured ok to but meybey u know something i dont know ... tell me more about bios setup what u think can boost my prefermance up.

Old hard drive - thats what i have. I have 2:
First: UDMA - 5 (this is same as ATA 100)
Second: UDMA - 2
I have it installed on first one.

Allquixotic
7th Dec 2003, 12:32
IF it doesn't cause general system instability (depends on how current your motherboard drivers are), turn on AGP Fast Writes in the Catalyst control panel ***AND*** in your BIOS. Turning it on in the control panel and having it disabled in the BIOS will not turn it on. If the setting is not available in the BIOS then it is automatically regulated or is being forced to the OFF position. A way to test this is to go into the SMARTGART control panel, hit "Retest All", pick "On" for Fast Writes, reboot, and if it says "Off" again, then the BIOS is not allowing it to use fast writes.

Second, look for some setting in the BIOS that says anything about "DBI". DBI Output for Trans. is what it says in my BIOS. Radeon 9600 and later 8x AGP cards support the DBI transfer mode for AGP, which improves performance. Windows XP has pretty good support for it, and I haven't noticed any system instabilities due to it.

Next, look for the "IDE Prefetch" and "IDE Block Transfer" modes somewhere in the BIOS, and turn them on if they're off. If they're off and you have problems booting (your old hard drive may not support them), then you need to get a new hard drive, as both of these drastically improve performance, even if you have UDMA-5. I suspect, however, that your main hard drive, at least, will support both settings because they were introduced at about the time of UDMA Mode 3. As for the old hard drive, it's a remote possibility.

In DX2, your hard drive is constantly loading and unloading models/textures. I'd wager that it is one of the more hard drive intensive games out there. If you're still stumped after trying all of this, get an ATA-133 7200rpm hard drive, or you may even look into Serial ATA. The faster the hard drive, the smaller (and more expensive) it tends to be, so you should probably aim for a 20-30gb Serial ATA hard drive, if your motherboard supports it, for ultra-fast performance for gaming. Don't install anything but games on it, and keep booting your operating system to the largest (but not necessarily the fastest) hard drive.

Finally, if you know your motherboard/processor combo supports Spread Spectrum, turn it on in the BIOS.

Hope this helps.

Killa4214234
7th Dec 2003, 13:04
My fast writes was enables all time from when i installed my video card. But i cant find this setting in bios. But i have "Video Memory Cashe Mode" : UC or USUC i have it on USUC (Uncacheable, speculative write combining)
Also i dont have single word of "DBI" in bios.
And dont see "IDE Prefetch" or "IDE Block Transfer".
Dont so good in bios maybe it just have other name there.

Can u check this this out for me if u have time?
Here is link for manual to my mobo it have all bios settings in it:
http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4g8x/e1133_p4g8x.pdf
or
http://www.asus.com.cn/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4g8x/e1133_p4g8x.pdf
or
ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4g8x/g1133_p4g8x.pdf

And i dont know much anout IDE's also how much faster Ultra ata that UDMA 5?

lagoleer
7th Dec 2003, 15:14
Originally posted by Uller
Has anyone unhappy with DX:IW performance been able to overclock their system to a point where they were happy with the performance?

I sold my ATI 9700 Pro, and ordered an ATI 9800 Pro, which should be here this week, so I am chuggin' along with an ATI 64DDR VIVO (ATI 7200 equivilent), which is fine right now, since I'm burning in and OC testing my new CPU

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Intel Pentium 4-3.2ghz Extreme Edition.

Right now, CPU is stable at FSB 222 = 3.52ghz at stock Vcore. My idea of stable is being able to run Prime95 and CPUburn together (sets CPU load to 100%, sustained) for 24hrs. It will boot and run tests at 3600mhz (FSB225), but locks after 3-4 min with Prime95 @ stock Vcore. It failed at 223,224. 222 seems to be its max @ stock Vcore.

Next step is bumpin' up the Vcore in increments and seeing where this puppy can go on air cooling. So far, with a starting air cooling, stock Vcore OC of 3.52ghz, I am pleased as punch. :) I haven't even had to whip out the Thermaltake 947 yet, since temps are nice and low.

Plan is to have the CPU OC potential and STABILITY set by the time my 9800 Pro gets here, so I can go to town on that puppy, after installing a custom cooling kit to get it to XT+ speeds.

I would *like* to be able to play DX:IW @ 1280x1024 with nice settings, but we will see. I haven't even bought the game yet. I'll pick it up this week.

Current Rig:
-----------------------------------------
Antec 835-II case with all fans installed (6 fans total, case stays close to room temp).
Asus P4C800E Deluxe MB
Intel Pentium 4-3.2ghz Extreme Edition (Retail)
1gb Corsair XMS3500 @ 5:4 (Running @ 178.6mhz), @ 2-2-2-5
Sony GDM-F520 21" Monitor
Sony DRU-510a
Maxtor 120gb 8mb cache P-ATA drive (Primary)
Maxtor 80gb 2mb cache P-ATA (secondary)
Creative Audigy Platinum
Klipsch Promedia 2.1's
----------------------------------------

For the record, this Corsair memory is giving me fits. It won't even hit 200mhz at stock settings (2-3-3-7, 2.5v) on two different MB's in dual channel config. Works great in single config, though.

Killa4214234
7th Dec 2003, 17:02
Originally posted by lagoleer
I sold my ATI 9700 Pro, and ordered an ATI 9800 Pro, which should be here this week, so I am chuggin' along with an ATI 64DDR VIVO (ATI 7200 equivilent), which is fine right now, since I'm burning in and OC testing my new CPU

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Intel Pentium 4-3.2ghz Extreme Edition.

Right now, CPU is stable at FSB 222 = 3.52ghz at stock Vcore. My idea of stable is being able to run Prime95 and CPUburn together (sets CPU load to 100%, sustained) for 24hrs. It will boot and run tests at 3600mhz (FSB225), but locks after 3-4 min with Prime95 @ stock Vcore. It failed at 223,224. 222 seems to be its max @ stock Vcore.

Next step is bumpin' up the Vcore in increments and seeing where this puppy can go on air cooling. So far, with a starting air cooling, stock Vcore OC of 3.52ghz, I am pleased as punch. :) I haven't even had to whip out the Thermaltake 947 yet, since temps are nice and low.

Plan is to have the CPU OC potential and STABILITY set by the time my 9800 Pro gets here, so I can go to town on that puppy, after installing a custom cooling kit to get it to XT+ speeds.

I would *like* to be able to play DX:IW @ 1280x1024 with nice settings, but we will see. I haven't even bought the game yet. I'll pick it up this week.

Current Rig:
-----------------------------------------
Antec 835-II case with all fans installed (6 fans total, case stays close to room temp).
Asus P4C800E Deluxe MB
Intel Pentium 4-3.2ghz Extreme Edition (Retail)
1gb Corsair XMS3500 @ 5:4 (Running @ 178.6mhz), @ 2-2-2-5
Sony GDM-F520 21" Monitor
Sony DRU-510a
Maxtor 120gb 8mb cache P-ATA drive (Primary)
Maxtor 80gb 2mb cache P-ATA (secondary)
Creative Audigy Platinum
Klipsch Promedia 2.1's
----------------------------------------

For the record, this Corsair memory is giving me fits. It won't even hit 200mhz at stock settings (2-3-3-7, 2.5v) on two different MB's in dual channel config. Works great in single config, though.

This is not overclockers.com its called overclock for DX2 so if u dont have game then dont post

cdump51
7th Dec 2003, 19:32
My vid card is a Asus GFX 5200 running @ 250Mhz/330Mhz

I overclocked it to run at 290Mhz/450Mhz with no problems

You can see you've overclocked too much when the game or 3dmark03 appears strange. Increases of 10Mhz at a time is safe.

For cooling I just opened my case and put a fan on my vid card.

Also boosted up the RAM to 390Mhz instead of 333Mhz.

For all geforce cards you just have to find and run CoolBits.reg,
then a "clock settings" will magically appear in the Advanced tab of your display settings...

lagoleer
8th Dec 2003, 04:32
Originally posted by Killa4214234
This is not overclockers.com its called overclock for DX2 so if u dont have game then dont post

What do you think one of my primary reasons for doing this is, hmmm?

I downloaded the demo, and even on my old rig with a 9700 Pro, it was sluggish. Not horrific or unplayable, but sluggish.

The game wants fill rate? Fine, I sold my 9700 Pro and have a 9800 Pro on the way (along with a custom cooling kit here to OC it to XT+ speeds).

Need more CPU power? Great, I already had a lead on a good deal on a P4-3.2ghz EE, so I went for it and got a P4C800E Deluxe to go with it. CPU is hummin' along nicely at 3.5ghz+ at stock Vcore.

The point is, WHEN I buy the game this week (why buy it this last week, when I was in component sprawl 101), I want it on an optimal platform, so it will run the best it can.

Now, get a clue, dude, seriously. :)

...and stop hatin' nobody likes a playa hata!

Killa4214234
8th Dec 2003, 10:40
If u have money buy about +gig of ram and make ramdrive there should be best for games but i didnt tryed this.

lagoleer
9th Dec 2003, 09:21
Originally posted by Killa4214234
If u have money buy about +gig of ram and make ramdrive there should be best for games but i didnt tryed this.

Load times? Yes. Anything else that is not disk intensive, and that is a waste.

My ATI 9800 Pro will be here anyday now. I've slowly been collecting all the tips from the forums for optimizing performance (DX Tweaker (which I ran on the demo), cache settings, typing W2k compatibility mode, etc...).

And even though I didn't pick the game up, my girlfriend did tonight and had it sitting on the table waiting for me. In her words, "You talked about this game so much...." :) So now it is sitting there waiting for the 9800 Pro....grrrrr.....

KR_Dragon
9th Dec 2003, 09:29
Be careful with the IDE prefetch... If your HDD doesnt support it, then your computer will be locking up all the time...