PDA

View Full Version : Can we expect patch before Xmas?

moggis
6th Dec 2003, 16:10
Hello, I'm not gonna rant about how angry i am, sufficent to say i am dissapointed.
The thing i want to know now from the moderators/devs is when we can expect a patch if there is any at work.

Will it come before xmas or sometime after.

It would be nice to be informed about this as one gets quite irritated by viewing these and Ion stormes forums after news about patches. I've only so far seen speculations or hearsay, which dont count for to much.

And on another note to ppl out there with problem with GFX probs, try to force the game to run with Pixel Shader 1.1 instead of 2.0... It made the first level run perfectly for me. increased my framerate by 10-20 atleast. But then it started lagging when i entered the lab.. so didnt work after that, might be only on my system. So see if it helps you.
The programs name which can make it force pixel shader 1.1 is named 3DAnalyzer, search on google.

thx in advance!

Macphisto
6th Dec 2003, 17:24
I too would like to know when we could expect a patch. I understand that it's only a few days after the games launch, but It's nice to know that were not all stuck trying to play a flawed game.

I suffered from several of the problems found in this forum but was able to solve them all, at least to the point of being able to run the game at all! I far exceed the recommended system requirements and the game still performs poorly and inconsistantly.
I have an Athlon xp 3000 w/ 400 fsb, a Radeon 9800 pro 256, and a gig of DDR400 RAM. Yes all drivers, firmware, and DirectX
versions are up to date. The game wil run fine in a wide open space with tons of action taking place, then will slow down considerably when im crawling through a little vent shaft! It doesn't make any sense!

As for the pixel shader issue, according to the dev's it uses version 1.1 not 2.0 so I don't think thats an issue. Please let us know when we can expect a patch! Cheers!

jamesyb100
6th Dec 2003, 21:21
Can you say Bottle neck lol 400 front side bus lmao, is this the first pc you've built ?

Digital Ruin
6th Dec 2003, 22:00
Why would that be a bottleneck? I don't see anything wrong with his setup.

DivineRight
6th Dec 2003, 22:12
Jameys, obviously you know nothing about AMD and how they work compared to Pentium.

jamesyb100
6th Dec 2003, 23:08
You guys are trying to pull me up on technicalities lmao if only you knew who I am, lol

jamesyb100
6th Dec 2003, 23:10
Here's a clue check out the RAMDAC and DDR through-put on his Radeon

Digital Ruin
6th Dec 2003, 23:23
:rolleyes:

next Mr. I Am Someone

DivineRight
6th Dec 2003, 23:42
So you're saying Pentium is way better than AMD? Since the highest fsb on the top end AMD chips is only 400mhz.

*Edit: Oh yeah, AMD 64bit has a 1600mhz fsb. Sorry, that's the top end. All other non-64bit only go up to 400mhz. Thanks. :o

His system has no bottleneck, Mr. "if you only knew who I am."

HA

jamesyb100
7th Dec 2003, 23:30
Originally posted by DivineRight
So you're saying Pentium is way better than AMD? Since the highest fsb on the top end AMD chips is only 400mhz.

*Edit: Oh yeah, AMD 64bit has a 1600mhz fsb. Sorry, that's the top end. All other non-64bit only go up to 400mhz. Thanks. :o

His system has no bottleneck, Mr. "if you only knew who I am."

HA

We are not talking about a 64-bit processor ARE we? And there is a bottle neck

AND this is not an AMD vs Pentium debate, as I never made any indication, what so ever, toward my preferance

They both have advantages over each other ( At any level )

afbborn
8th Dec 2003, 03:00
I was reading this thread, with regards to the bottleneck issue and wanted to contribute. My system (self built) uses a 960 mhz FSB and I haven't noticed any differences in the speed at which the game runs. It always seems to run at the same speed, with no noticeable speedups or slowdowns.

As far as the debate of Intel vs AMD goes...I went with Intel for this system because:

A) I'm familiar with Intel's architecture, and I'm not with AMD's.

B) I've had great luck overclocking the P4 2.4C, typically running at 2.9-3.1 ghz, but have gone as high as 3.45 ghz...and the price was great.

I'm sure those new AMD 64 FX-51's are damn fast. I tested my system against the top 64 FX-51 on Alienware's site and their test (actually, Futuremark/MadOnion's test) says the AMD is 29% faster than mine. If you want to check your own system go to www.alienware.com and select "gaming systems". Then select the system at the far left, it should be their top-of-the-line 64 FX-51 system.

Anyway...here's to a patch that will allow all of our uber-systems to REALLY run this game as it should run on hardware this fast. That would be a nice Christmas present!

Trek234
8th Dec 2003, 03:50
Originally posted by moggis
Hello, I'm not gonna rant about how angry i am, sufficent to say i am dissapointed.
The thing i want to know now from the moderators/devs is when we can expect a patch if there is any at work.

Will it come before xmas or sometime after.

It would be nice to be informed about this as one gets quite irritated by viewing these and Ion stormes forums after news about patches. I've only so far seen speculations or hearsay, which dont count for to much.

And on another note to ppl out there with problem with GFX probs, try to force the game to run with Pixel Shader 1.1 instead of 2.0... It made the first level run perfectly for me. increased my framerate by 10-20 atleast. But then it started lagging when i entered the lab.. so didnt work after that, might be only on my system. So see if it helps you.
The programs name which can make it force pixel shader 1.1 is named 3DAnalyzer, search on google.

thx in advance!

I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped patches all together. I suspect they will release one patch - no more. Unfortunately I also suspect that one patch won't do very much.

Obviously it's all about the money, and patches don't make money.

Trek234
8th Dec 2003, 04:02
Originally posted by jamesyb100

Here's a hint smart one - the FSB has NOTHING to do with his performance issue in relation to his Radeon.

Want undeniable proof? Set your AGP speed to 2X (vs oh say 4X or 8X) on your needlessly ungodly high clocked FSB intel system. You should be smart enough to realize the AGP bandwidth that gives you in relation to the amount of data that your high FSB can (in theory) provide.

You just bottlenecked your AGP bus. You will see practically ZERO performance loss. (maybe 2 FPS) If you say anything contrary to that you are full of it.

This is because the data being processed on the Radeon AGP card largely STAYS on the Radeon AGP card. You are making the mistake of assuming that large amounts of data are being sent from the Radeon through the FSB to a degree that a 400mhz FSB would be maxed out. Guess what - it's BS my friend. That's NOT how it works. Most of the data STAYS on the Radeon.

The ONLY time that would not happen - the ONLY time - would be if your AGP card maxed out its RAM and was forced to use system RAM. In which case your performance would be screwed regardless of your FSB speed.

Digital Ruin
8th Dec 2003, 04:07
What you just said is correct and if I could add something it's that when using large textures and resolutions like 1600 then you'll notice a difference because the card has to reach out to system memory which it would rarely do at 1024.

Whatever major bottleneck this guy has a problem with I'm not sure...

I bet you're the kind of person that thinks their Intel 800FSB is actually running at a 800FSB.

GrimDanfango
8th Dec 2003, 12:53
This is probably a rather simple view of the whole thing... but I always got the impression that Intel opted for having their chips effectively not do as much... but do it very quickly... where AMD go for the do lots, but not as often approach... and both ways work perfectly well... regardless of FSB

Invictus
8th Dec 2003, 18:17
Boy you'd think Eidos would have responded to thsi thread huh? Get the feeling you're being avoided because they don't know when they'll get their *bleep* together and bring out a patch? Of course, there are a lot of angry people out there... maybe they prefer to hide, or use the pathetic "check your drivers" for the thousandth time (even though sooo many here have posted their clean DXDIAG results).

Sotos
8th Dec 2003, 20:55
I want a patch not for better speed
but

FOR MAKING THE A.I BETTER and some better balances...

The AI is no good enough and Hitpoints are not working right

You shoot a guy in the head and he responds you "that's not a nice thing to do"
or
You shoot several guys with a heavy weapon and the damage that they are taking is small...Totally unrealistic
or
You try to unconscious(neutralize) a enemy from the back and does not work

These game needs a patch PRONTO and not only for some performance problems (not that i have a problem with my HIGH END SYSTEM :) )

Macphisto
9th Dec 2003, 01:55
I haven't checked this post for a few days, seems I caused quite a stir!

I forgot to mention that its Dual Channel that I'm using (800MHz). To answer you question, no, this isn't the first system that I've built. In fact, I've lost count over the last 15 years or so, or I would gladly quote you the exact number. Being a project manager for a major semi-conductor manufacturer has taught me a thing or two about ram. But thanks for asking.

Thanks to all who stuck up for me. You're what make these forums worth while! :) For some, ignorance is bliss!

Pooeypants
9th Dec 2003, 18:02
I don't see how the ram he has currently can bottleneck his GPU to the point of what the slowdowns he is describing.

So please eloborate or better still take this into the Guru3D forums. :D

OldScho0l
9th Dec 2003, 20:02
Thank you for your response Invictus. You said exactly what I've been thinking since the release date. I have tried being patient but these jerks don't even have the balls to make a single response to any of us. For all we know, they aren't doing a damned thing to help us. :mad:

Revealer
9th Dec 2003, 21:57
400fsb creates a bottleneck??

I know who you are.......a bloody incompetant nobody. The fsb is perfect and wont cause any bottlenecks. Only an idiot would think that is a problem, thats a very good bus speed for your athlon system.

jamesyb100
9th Dec 2003, 23:28
No I don't think that the pentium FSB runs at it's full 800MHz

I KNOW it dosn't..

As for your magical Radeon with the abilty to function completly within and by itself, wise up, have you heard of architecture ?
An AMD 400 fsp can barley handle the throughput of an 8x AGP model not to mention the rest of the background activity it's shouldering !!

Lastley admiting to the frame drop ( even if you claim it's only 2fps ) is admiting to the bottle neck.

jamesyb100
9th Dec 2003, 23:33
Originally posted by Macphisto
I forgot to mention that its Dual Channel that I'm using (800MHz).

Slightly concerning incompetance considering your line of work G.

What company do you work for I want make sure I avoid it

P.S. Would you like a Straw?

WastelandDan
9th Dec 2003, 23:43
responding to the original topic of this thread, over at the Ion Storm forums one of the game developers actually left a post that said they are indeed working on a patch. This message was left four or five days ago. However, since then the post has been removed and there has been zero official response.

I'd say that if we don't see a patch within the next week then we won't see one until well after christmas because A) the developers really don't seem to care about how we feel and B) they're going to go on vacation.

Sotos
11th Dec 2003, 10:37
Originally posted by WastelandDan
responding to the original topic of this thread, over at the Ion Storm forums one of the game developers actually left a post that said they are indeed working on a patch. This message was left four or five days ago. However, since then the post has been removed and there has been zero official response.

I'd say that if we don't see a patch within the next week then we won't see one until well after christmas because A) the developers really don't seem to care about how we feel and B) they're going to go on vacation.

Why i think Ion STORM has taken advantage all of us????

They created a <not so good> game based on the previous awesome DEUS EX 1 and they used the FAMOUS NAME OF DEUS EX 1 to sell DEUS EX IW and attrack costumers

Now that they have taken most of us as fools with these not so good game(in my opinion).....and they have some famous review sites to market their new <GAME> games as excellent choice (example: Gamespy).
Tehy are certain about themselves...

Now that they have the money they make us the BLIND...
and they do not care...with the known excuse OUR COMPANY HAS SO MUCH WORK TO DO..SORRY WE CAN RESPOND TO YOU RIGHT NOW :rolleyes:

I will twice cautious next time if i am going to buy a game from them

ION STORM RELEASE A PATCH FOR IW FOR YOUR OWN GOOD.....The sooner the better

DEUS EX IW needs work...IT FEELS LIKE A BETA OR INCOMPLETE
maybe you would better not released these game

Pooeypants
11th Dec 2003, 11:47
No I don't think that the pentium FSB runs at it's full 800MHz

I KNOW it dosn't..

As for your magical Radeon with the abilty to function completly within and by itself, wise up, have you heard of architecture ?
An AMD 400 fsp can barley handle the throughput of an 8x AGP model not to mention the rest of the background activity it's shouldering !!

Lastley admiting to the frame drop ( even if you claim it's only 2fps ) is admiting to the bottle neck.
Are you claiming that his Radeon is using the full bandwidth of the x8 AGP? :confused:

jamesyb100
12th Dec 2003, 00:22
I hope that was retorical question as apposed to a retarded one

Random
12th Dec 2003, 01:26
Why to hardware discussions always degrade into flamewars? Don't insult other members or you'll be booted. And don't bypass the swear filter, for that matter.

Edit: posts have been deleted because I can't be bothered editing them all. http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon13.gif