PDA

View Full Version : How come loading from one area to the next is taking over a minute?

Hand76
6th Dec 2003, 04:33
Is anyone else getting this? Anytime I go from one area to the next the game takes 1-1 1/2 minutes to load. I have heard from so many others that it should only take 10-20 seconds.

Specs:

1.3 Proc.
768 MB Ram
NVidia Geforce 4 TI 4600

homercles
6th Dec 2003, 04:42
Originally posted by Hand76
Is anyone else getting this? Anytime I go from one area to the next the game takes 1-1 1/2 minutes to load. I have heard from so many others that it should only take 10-20 seconds.

Specs:

1.3 Proc.
768 MB Ram
NVidia Geforce 4 TI 4600

Yep, my rig is better than yours and i still have to deal with crazy load times. IMHO, BS! :mad: :mad: :mad:

ICE-MAN-77
6th Dec 2003, 15:40
:mad: Thier is an array of bugs with loading/saving just look at other forums were all having the same problem from this crappy game code.:mad:

koraX82
6th Dec 2003, 15:47
I know this sounds crazy but try that (it worked for me)

: go to content/dx2/sounds folder and RENAME every .csc file to .a

: go to default.ini in your dx2 system folder and change all those *.csc filenames to *.a

done

ICE-MAN-77
6th Dec 2003, 15:50
:mad: The principle of it is i shouldn't have do that it should work right out of the box.:mad:

Hand76
6th Dec 2003, 17:26
Kora, the only .csc files I found in Default.ini were these:

SchemaMetafileName__t=SchemaMetafile.csc
SchemaMetafileName__d=SchemaMetafile_HardDrive.csc
SchemaMetafileName_Memory__d=SchemaMetafile_Memory.csc
SchemaMetafileName_DVD1__d=SchemaMetafile_DVD1.csc
SchemaMetafileName_DVD2__d=SchemaMetafile_DVD2.csc
SchemaMetafileName_DVD3__d=SchemaMetafile_DVD3.csc

But there are no * symbols next to them? Are these the right ones to change to .a? Should I add a star next to them? Or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks bud.

Hand76
6th Dec 2003, 18:51
Kora I changed what I posted up above & the sound file one. But still loads are taking at least 1 full minute.

Did I not change the right things?

I Cyrus I
6th Dec 2003, 20:23

But there are no * symbols next to them? Are these the right ones to change to .a? Should I add a star next to them? Or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks bud. [/B]

I don't know if you already figured it out but, I think he only put the * there to fill in whatever file name it was. So no, you don't need the *'s.

Alai
6th Dec 2003, 20:41
I think it's the cd-checker that runs every single time the map loads.... Some dvd drives have hard time with this, thus resulting in long load time. Mine takes about 10 sec.

mazda charles
7th Dec 2003, 05:19
Kora, the only .csc files I found in Default.ini were these:

SchemaMetafileName__t=SchemaMetafile.csc
SchemaMetafileName__d=SchemaMetafile_HardDrive.csc
SchemaMetafileName_Memory__d=SchemaMetafile_Memory.csc
SchemaMetafileName_DVD1__d=SchemaMetafile_DVD1.csc
SchemaMetafileName_DVD2__d=SchemaMetafile_DVD2.csc
SchemaMetafileName_DVD3__d=SchemaMetafile_DVD3.csc

Thanks bud.

Very neat, this worked pretty well!

Hand76
7th Dec 2003, 18:03
I tried that Mazda. I changed the 6 Sound names all around to .a then I changed the other .CSC to .a in my ini.file. But when I started the game loads still took 1 full minute. :(

Did I miss something or do something wrong?

mazda charles
7th Dec 2003, 18:09
Probably not. Like Alai says, it could be the CD checker software that takes some time. There's nothing we can do about that, as that software is designed to be tamper proof.

A faster processor probably wouldn't hurt, either. :(

spawnyboy
7th Dec 2003, 20:44
And not only that but why does this game keep dropping me back to my desktop while it loads in the next level, doesn't crash to desktop or anything. This is another annoyance that needs to be addressed in the next patch. Along with my settings being reset to default settings everytime I boot up the game. For a game that was in development for such a long time you'd think they could of polished it up before releasing it. Did Eidos not learn their lesson with TombRaider AoD?

Hand76
7th Dec 2003, 22:44
Yep ^^^ same with me. :( My toolbar pops up while loading a new level. Doesn't kick me out to my desktop or anything but still kinda confusing.

And judging by the light on my PC most of the time the computer is doing nothing while loading is going on. It waits for almost 30 seconds before the loading bar shows any sort of progress on the screen.

What the hell is it doing all that time!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Zem
8th Dec 2003, 15:12
Hand76, it's doing the CD check. This is a time-consuming, unreliable procedure intended to drive away paying customers.

Hand76
8th Dec 2003, 17:10
WOAH!!!

Just by changing the compatibility for the game to Windows 2000 I just cut my load times in half. Now to load the next level it takes around 25 seconds. :D

Let's hope this keeps up. :)