PDA

View Full Version : PC Version: Suspicious

twobells
6th Dec 2003, 00:21
I have a damn good system with a water-cooled 'CoolFX' Gainward graphics card (1800XT) probably the best card on the market.
On a Asustek SK8V mobo with the AMD FX cpu and a gig of superb ram.
The monitor is a 21" Sony Trinitron at 130hz
So you can imagine my astonishment when DX2 runs like a snail right?

No matter what I did the game just crawled along.
However, as soon as I read up on the technical faq here:
http://66.193.119.177/index.php?showtopic=205527 and learn of the 'mouselag' function and set it to zero the game flies with everything maxed out.
But the most interesting thing is that this 'mouselag' did absolutely NOTHING to enhance the graphics or control in any way.

So why on earth did they specifically write code to lag our pc's?
Ion Storm tell us its to "grab back some framerate"...?
Well, four of us gained not one frame using that function.
The three other pc's ranged from a amd 1200 xp with a geforce 4 mx card to my rig.
We ALL grabbed back a LOT of fps by setting it to zero!

That leads me to believe that the game has ALWAYS been optimized for the xbox.
Imagine a situation when a brand new cutting-edge game comes out that a 2 year old pc could run with no trouble at 1024x768?
People would go ballistic and suggest that the game had been optimized for a console.
So lets imagine what they could do?
You guessed it, they could code in a function that makes the game FEEL like it's using all the latest tricks and treats while graphically its just a damn port that any recent pc could run.

But hey, thats just a theory........right?

TwoBells

mc2man
6th Dec 2003, 01:17
have to agree 1000%

efortier
6th Dec 2003, 01:24
I do not agree at all.

While your scenario would require some devilish thinking from the people that made the game, I prefer to believe it's the incompetence of people that put this game in the quagmire it's in. I think the conspiracies have been limited to the story of the game.

This game simply needed much more >>PC<< testing and QA, and probably a limited public beta or a least a better focus group test (content-wise)... If the Eidos QA people have been trying the game on only 35 computers, without swapping tons of video cards, I'm not surprised this has happened.

My computer has all the latest drivers and runs all my game correctly (ie: FAST); even the latest one. Ergo my computer is not at fault ;)

--Eric

Tahiro
6th Dec 2003, 01:33
Mouselag fix did NOTHING for me. And i have an extreme system !

Rowsdower
6th Dec 2003, 03:24
Add me to the list of those with a brand-new screaming system, and this game runs like I'm moving through molasses. Even at 800x600, which is a joke resolution with this system.

The mouselag fix did NOTHING.

catass
6th Dec 2003, 17:38
yeah me too. my computer's only a year old, but it's still a P4 2.0 GHz, 1 GIG of ram, and a Geforce4 Ti4400 with 128 megs of ram. way over the requirements and still runs like crap!

Totient
6th Dec 2003, 19:48
2.8GHz, 1GB, nVidia TI 4200/128MB and the game is unplayably slow at lowest settings. I don't get it.

efortier
6th Dec 2003, 21:54
I don't know why, but I'm starting to have some doubts about the claims that people with a 3 Ghz P4, 512 MB+ and a Radeon 9800XP are getting crap out of the game.

Overclocking a bit my GeForce3 Ti500 gave me like 5 more FPS, and a Radeon 9800XT is way, way way better than my card.

Instead of just saying it runs like crap, how about posting some of the frames per second you get? I use FRAPS to display the FPS in IW. In some area, on my weak system I get 20 FPS at 1024x768 (in the area near the first med bot).

As soon as there are a large room however, that number goes to hell.

Of course, this does nothing for the rest of the game, like the UI, Alex D.'s model and some of the cheap voices...

I think it would be a lot more objective to have some numbers to back up our claims...

--Eric

DivineRight
6th Dec 2003, 22:17
One word, optimization. :o

The Sage
6th Dec 2003, 22:36
Athlon XP 3200+
512 MB DDR 3500 (Running @ 460Mhz)
2 x SATA RAID HDD
256mb Geforce FX 5600 Ultra
Win XP with all Updates
Latest Nforce Drivers for both Mobo and GFX Card.

All known user.ini and default.ini tweaks.

i can play any game i like @ 1152x864 with 4 times AA

tho i cannot play Deus @ 640x480 with no AA.

I am yet to see 20FPS in any part of the game no matter how small the room is.. (even the one you begin in)

very disapointing.

Wharfrat
6th Dec 2003, 22:49
Eidos:Invisible War !

twobells
7th Dec 2003, 11:26
I think now is the time we start noting our system specs, loading FRAPS and then posting our scores.

Lets keep it simple, 1024x768 with NO AA or any other enhancment function on.

DOn't forget to set your graphics card settings in desktop to no DEFAULT as well. (no AA, no filtering, nothing)

Lets make the post 'SCORES'.

and see what we get.

I for one can play ANY unreal2-powered engine maxxed out.

Twobells

Totient
7th Dec 2003, 19:44
2.8GHz, 1GB, nVidia TI 4200/128MB.

I did all the stupid default.ini optimizations, turned off AA, AF, all that crap and I get 12 FPS at 640x480 with the lowest settings. The game is unplayably choppy.

And NO, there is nothing wrong with my system. It's the game, because every other game runs incredible on my system.

Invictus
7th Dec 2003, 22:21
Ef, My system is a fully optimized P4 3.0 Ghz, 2 gigs ram, 400 gigs hd space (not a raid array, awww) radeon 9800 256 meg. intel chipset, all put together by ALIENWARE... All the newest drivers... dxdiag results all normal. all other games play EASILY. Efortier, believe what you want, this game is dishonest work, and defective. You can't see why eidos would do this? Their finances are not in good shape, and they realized they couldn't make a holiday release right? Sooo you release an unfinished game, clean up on the holiday, then patch it later.

Man, after Tomb Raider: AOD, Blood Omen 2, Commandos 3... Eidos is just c**p at this point. Dishonest c**p. I can only imagine thief 3 will be a massive dissapointment. As for those review sites, many if not all review sites play footsie with the major dev houses on major releases. They are a part of the industry after all.

They get away with this, because people don't actually DO anything. If everyone who is convinced this is a defective product demands a refund (not just a replacement), they will have no recourse. If they refuse report them to the Better Business Beureau. It is dishonest, and perhaps illegal to sell a product that they KNOW to be defective. IF people took the time to make their displeasure known with their wallets they would listen. Only money talks. If people still buy the game and wait for the patch for god-knows how long, and they clean up by releasing this early to make the holidays they win, and gamers everywhere lose. If that happens what is to stop this from being the norm?