PDA

View Full Version : Unplayable PC version - another Tomb Raider?

SoulCatcher
5th Dec 2003, 16:56
I have a brand spanking new Alienware laptop - 2.8Ghz, 1 Gb DDR RAM, 128meg Vid card, etc, etc, etc.

I EASILY meet even the "recommended" system requirements.

And yet, just like Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness (another recent Eidos game) it is freaking UNPLAYABLE straight out of the box!

After the game goes through the company logo screens, the screen and everything in it turns bright white with pieces of red, yellow, green, and blue. It's freaking ridiculous. I've run the ol dxdiag, reinstalled the game, even restored the laptop to original specs (since this was the first game I was loading on it).

All to no avail.

I have since loaded a few other games on the system, and they all run like a champ.

This kind of irresponsible behavior from a company is simply disturbing. Are companies going back to the old slogan of "get it out on time- Period."? Didn't they learn that we as gamers are a patient lot? I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather wait an extra 2, 4, 6 months to get a game that was great, than to be so unbelievably freaking PO'ed at this point. This is twice in a row that EIDOS has screwed us.

I'm done.

WaltonSimons
6th Dec 2003, 02:32
Originally posted by SoulCatcher
I've run the ol dxdiag, reinstalled the game, even restored the laptop to original specs (since this was the first game I was loading on it).

If you read some more Eidos tech support forums, you would see that DX2:IW has not been tested on laptops and is therefore unsupported so far.

vanye
6th Dec 2003, 11:05
Originally posted by WaltonSimons
If you read some more Eidos tech support forums, you would see that DX2:IW has not been tested on laptops and is therefore unsupported so far.

Why post if you don't anything about laptops?

WaltonSimons
6th Dec 2003, 17:41
Why post if you can't form complete sentences.

Totient
6th Dec 2003, 19:31
"Not supported on laptops" Do you not know anything about standardization? IT'S A FREAKING COMPUTER!

Invictus
6th Dec 2003, 20:54
the guy has a laptop which uses DESKTOP hardware, not a centrino... wake up and do a little research before you jump on the guy. Further Alienware makes computers DESIGNED for games. This game is broken for desktops too, just look at this and other forums!! It's a nearly unplayable game unless you're so pathetically desperate that a poorly made game running at 800x640 gets you hot and bothered. Enough of "check your drivers"... Most of us have CHECKED our DXDIAG and run TONS of other games perfectly. Look at the ini's, this is a cheap, dirty XBOX port that needs a good month to be finished. It's fraudulant that Ion Storm did this, and ONLY in the gaming industry would customers not seek an apology, a refund, or simply abandon this company that has given us most recently Commandos 3 (a HORRID GAME, check the gamespot.com review or just play it), Tomb Raider AOD... unplayable... and now this... DX:IW, lots of hype, decent for the XBOX, defective for the pc.

By the way, Eidos is now actively closing overly critical threads and/or locking accounts of some. this is the company you want to support? I don't CARE if they feel the pressure of a holiday release... any more than I would care if a movie was released without the ending to make a deadline! Unfinished is unfinished!

Totient
7th Dec 2003, 19:53
I really hope the patch fixes all these stupid problems. I can't wait to start playing the game.

I got so excited for this game only to be devestated to find that on my 2.8Ghz, 1GB, TI 4200/128Mb system the game runs at 12fps on the lowest possible settings! Every other game runs great (50fps+ max settings), just not this one. I was very dissapointed.

One thing that really bothers me is that before I bought the game (as any game, regardless of the hype). I did a little research and read the reviews on all the major game sites. All of them gave the game good reviews. How the hell were all the bugs missed?

At this point, I'm pissed at everyone.

Invictus
7th Dec 2003, 22:18
Man, after Tomb Raider: AOD, Blood Omen 2, Commandos 3... Eidos is just c**p at this point. Dishonest c**p. I can only imagine thief 3 will be a massive dissapointment. As for those review sites, many if not all review sites play footsie with the major dev houses on major releases. They are a part of the industry after all.

They get away with this, because people don't actually DO anything. If everyone who is convinced this is a defective product demands a refund (not just a replacement), they will have no recourse. If they refuse report them to the Better Business Beureau. It is dishonest, and perhaps illegal to sell a product that they KNOW to be defective. IF people took the time to make their displeasure known with their wallets they would listen. Only money talks. If people still buy the game and wait for the patch for god-knows how long, and they clean up by releasing this early to make the holidays they win, and gamers everywhere lose. If that happens what is to stop this from being the norm?