PDA

View Full Version : Radeon help?

Wharfrat
5th Dec 2003, 08:27
Playing the demo, I was getting decent frame rates with a 128mb GF4200, all defaults, 800x600 using the 45.23 drivers. Everything was pretty smooth and I didnt see what everone was complaining about. Bloom seemed to do nothing either on or off 1024x768 was almost playable, but it would keep hiccuping every few seconds with smooth periods in between.

Today I bought a 128mb 9800 and everything went to hell. The only resolution that is remotely playable is 640x480. basically, I dont want to buy this game if I have to tweak the hell out of it in order to play it. Any of you radeon owners know any tricks outside of the game that I might be missing? Right now I cant imagine anything bringing it up to playable frame rates at 800x600, much less 1024.

Anyway, maybe this will help a few GF4 owners that are having problems. Try out the 45 series of drivers and see what happens. Specifically I was using the 45.23s

Specs:
Epox 8rda+
AMD 2500
512MB
ATI 9800 128mb
nothing OCed
everything else is irrelevant

Edit:
Forgot to mention sometimes when I hit escape to change options the game will minimize. More often when going back to the game. Just to clarify, it doesnt crash, it just minimizes to the task bar. Also, when in the menu, mouse clicking does not toggle bloom. The only way to change it is with the arrow keys and enter. Not a big deal, but odd none the less.

Sourcerer
5th Dec 2003, 09:42
I had serious problems with my Radeon 9700 pro. Would drop to like 6 frames per second at times. even at 640 * 480.

I fixed this and am now running at 1024 * 768 and it's only occasionally that the frame rate drops below 25 fps.

My problem turned out to be the settings in the display settings ATI control pannel thingy. I had enabled anti alliasing and a couple of other things.

Setting these so that they were specified by the application cured this problem immediately.

I am at work at the moment, when I get home in about 7 hours, I shall post about this in more detail.

Wharfrat
5th Dec 2003, 10:22
Bingo! Shoulda checked that first:o I dont know what the defaults were, but after changing them to 'app preference' it seemed fine. I loaded up dx, ran around for a minute and it looked smooth as silk at 1024x768 for the short time I played. Might be able to go higher with a bit of AA and/or AF, have to play around with it. Thanks

Edit: If anyone has a similar rig and has a good AA/AF, quality/performance setup, please let me know.

Never owning a Radeon before I've never had to deal with trueform. I read about it along time ago, but is it worth turning on? Is it a performance killer? Or is it something you leave on all the time?

Random
5th Dec 2003, 10:57
Thanks for that post, Sourcerer. http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon14.gif